Aug 11th "Official" Release Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangerskew

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I did a little looking around the internet and found what appears to be a case for the Epic 4G in Samsung's online store. It says it's for the Galaxy d700; SPH-D700 is the Epic's official model number according to the FCC. Unfortunately there's no release date on the page for when the case will be for sale, but oh well, it was still neat to find.

Cases & Holsters - Cell Phones | SAMSUNG

EDIT: I just noticed that the product description says that "The magnetic snap closure enables you to lock your phone in or convert your case into a horizontal desk top display. Your camera use is not limited while in case mode.". Sounds like an Evo kickstand!

Last edited:

zdph468

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Someone may have posted this already but I haven't seen this mentioned. the epic 4g is advertised in 2 places on best buy mobiles website right now.
when you go to best buy.com then click products>mobile phones the first slide shows the epic 4g ahead of the vibrant and captivate and says "coming soon for sprint"
Mobile Phones
When you click through, it's the first one of the galaxy s phones listed, but also says coming soon through.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...07.c%3Fid%3Dpcmcat217400050007&token=4BsWnEYM
With this much promo on their mobile site, I'm sure an announcement is right around the corner and all the BB reps who said they won't have the epic are wrong.

Last edited:

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Sprint Playbook has been delayed next week. While it normally hits Wednesday afternoon, as of yesterday, next week's has been pushed back a day. I would assume this is to keep the date secret and not spoil whatever announcements are happening. Also, the Playbook the last two weeks have been mainly Epic related and selling. Very similar to the weeks leading up to the EVO.

Just from what has been in the Playbook compared to the EVO launch, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw the phone the week of 8/9 - 8/13. I'd almost guess this Friday but that date would be spoiled as soon as boxes started arrive during the week. As such, I'll stick with my original guess. Anticipation is half the fun for me and new gadgets.

Last edited:

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Someone may have posted this already but I haven't seen this mentioned. the epic 4g is advertised in 2 places on best buy mobiles website right now.
when you go to best buy.com then click products>mobile phones the first slide shows the epic 4g ahead of the vibrant and captivate and says "coming soon for sprint"
Mobile Phones
When you click through, it's the first one of the galaxy s phones listed, but also says coming soon through.
Samsung Galaxy S Series - BestBuy
With this much promo on their mobile site, I'm sure an announcement is right around the corner and all the BB reps who said they won't have the epic are wrong.

I hope you're right man

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
zdph and tndank, you have made my day! Best Buy confirmation and possibly confirmation of earlier August release? (any earlier than 8/20 and I'd be very happy)

Now I just hope they do a preorder... (I hate camping out)

I also hope the 1st batch of phones aren't flawed like so many recent phone launches I've been victim to: (Pre, EVO...)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I just broke my screen on my Hero yesterday... the earlier the better. It still works, just don't want to give myself a shave every time I answer a phone call. It pull out some facial hair last time I did... I think I'll be using the bluetooth a lot. Beezy gave me a hint though that it won't be earlier, so I'm looking at buying a screen/digitizer online (ebay) in to get it fixed this week. Anyone use them before? he's got great reviews, mostly from ipod touch/iphone users.

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I went to my closest RS yesterday to look at the Captivate (they didn't have it), but they did have a waiting list for the Epic. I'm #2. So, you might want to check RS or BB for that list now.

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
So... not to be "that guy", but this is fairly old info. Came out during the Galaxy S Event in NY. She has a decent video but so does Engadget.

No you're not that guy. My interpretation is that they will have a full review within a few weeks. Meaning they're going to get a final product. Hopefully that will be around the time it gets released to us (the public).

Grasping at straws probably, but at this point I have to see some light or else I'm switching tunnels. lol

prdstm0nke

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Sprint Playbook has been delayed next week. While it normally hits Wednesday afternoon, as of yesterday, next week's has been pushed back a day. I would assume this is to keep the date secret and not spoil whatever announcements are happening....

i think we have a winner here. the sprint playbook should be out thursday morning, so i expect the official announcement to be that morning.

also, epic advocates haven't received their devices yet, and if i remember correctly, the EVO advocates got their devices about 2 weeks before the official launch. so i'm not getting my hopes up for a surprise early launch.

just FYI.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
Samsung Epic 4G: Release Date | Drop News

This site says that it is announced it is Aug. 20.

Yes, they do say "Samsung Epic 4G will be released on August 20.It is yesterday’s official announcement by Samsung on the launch of new smartphones, already famous with the name Galaxy Pro, however, will be marketed under a new name: Samsung Epic 4G."

I would love to see that official announcement. How could it go unnoticed by the folks here at Android Central?... What about Engadget? Seems like without the smoking gun this is likely to be some fabricated "Official Announcement."

I guess I'll go dig over at Samsungs website. I'll be back if I find anything "Official."

EDIT: LOL, Gotta be fabricated. Over on Samsung Twitter page, they tweet to Keith Newman just yesterday around Noon that there is no official release date yet.

All that said, I'm still hoping for August 20 or sooner.

Last edited:

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
<SNIP>
also, epic advocates haven't received their devices yet
<SNIP>
just FYI.

Yesterday I asked a guy at sprint about the advocate getting one yesterday and he said "the manager keeps it in the safe" but then went on to make it sound like the manager keeps all advocate phones in the safe. I'm probably overly optimistic thinking this was a slip rather than just poor phrasing of words.

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they do say "Samsung Epic 4G will be released on August 20.It is yesterday?s official announcement by Samsung on the launch of new smartphones, already famous with the name Galaxy Pro, however, will be marketed under a new name: Samsung Epic 4G."

I would love to see that official announcement. How could it go unnoticed by the folks here at Android Central?... What about Engadget? Seems like without the smoking gun this is likely to be some fabricated "Official Announcement."

I guess I'll go dig over at Samsungs website. I'll be back if I find anything "Official."

EDIT: LOL, Gotta be fabricated. Over on Samsung Twitter page, they tweet to Keith Newman just yesterday around Noon that there is no official release date yet.

All that said, I'm still hoping for August 20 or sooner.

Yeah, I'm assuming it was just some misinformation. The article is poorly written and I'd doubt that a journalist that isn't very good would be the first one with the information.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Now to end the rumor my gf and her dad told me as well as other people getting the same message at other best buy's... THEY WILL CARRY THE EPIC!

I have proof :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson