Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

All of this has me wondering if we get a new OS player in the market a lot sooner than later. I know that Samsung has had a couple false starts with Tizen, but are they still preparing to make the switch? They feel to me like the want (need) more control over their environment and ecosystem. This drama around running O and soon P may be moot if they are planning to switch. A successful Pixel will just accelerate the need for Samsung to make a major move, IMO.

I've been telling people for years that just like computers have been a duopoly for decades, so will mobile. Never in the history of operating systems has any company ever successfully become an equal 3rd player. It's not because you can't create a fantastic alternative to Android or iOS devices. It's because the market never sustains it. The nerd's wet dream of a geektopia of extra choices never becomes a reality.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

Everyone is raving about the free picture storage. Really? I'd rather have an SD card any day.

I wouldn't. SD cards aren't reliable enough for me to keep my pictures and things on it.

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 30, 2016
Visit site

I wouldn't. SD cards aren't reliable enough for me to keep my pictures and things on it.

God no! I take a dedicated camera on vacations and I make sure all the shots on the camera sd card are copied onto another backup medium at the end of every day.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Still would prefer sd card...just ensure you always back it up somewhere...best combination is a microsd card with everything backing up to one of your cloud drives....also monthly or every 2 months you should back up all of those files to another third physical medium.....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Still would prefer sd card...just ensure you always back it up somewhere...best combination is a microsd card with everything backing up to one of your cloud drives....also monthly or every 2 months you should back up all of those files to another third physical medium.....

I just use phone / my Google account. I am confident with that combo. MicroSD cards have failed on me a few times and lost all data so I don't trust them anymore.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I just use phone / my Google account. I am confident with that combo. MicroSD cards have failed on me a few times and lost all data so I don't trust them anymore.

Not to mention that SD cards aren't as common on as many phones now so switching phones as often as I do doesn't allow me to rely on one. Cloud storage is easily the better option.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

How would that be the best combo? Internal storage is faster, more secure, more stable and less hassle (no worrying about whether or not an OEM implemented adoptable storage correctly or if your apps can be installed at all); so internal > sd and so internal + cloud backups would then be the best, right? Like exactly what Android is designed to do in flagships?

If your phone only has 4 GB internal storage, I get it. I think that phone shouldn't be purchased, but if you get it and don't know better, then the SD card becomes necessary. But if you can get 128GB, then the card becomes less important.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I've been telling people for years that just like computers have been a duopoly for decades, so will mobile. Never in the history of operating systems has any company ever successfully become an equal 3rd player. It's not because you can't create a fantastic alternative to Android or iOS devices. It's because the market never sustains it. The nerd's wet dream of a geektopia of extra choices never becomes a reality.

I tend to agree with your view. Another factor driving the duopoly are the apps. 3rd party developers can only handle creating their programs for so many different devices before the fragmentation reduces their profits.

I still think it will be interesting to see how Samsung and others compete with Google in the space, iff Google can become a factor in hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174