Charger Cover Broke

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had my S5 for 3 months now amd it's srill attached... keeping my fingers crossed!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had my S5 for 3 months now amd it's srill attached... keeping my fingers crossed!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

I haven't had an issue myself although now I'm using Qi. My concern wasn't so much it breaking off but the seal becoming weaker each time.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had an issue myself although now I'm using Qi. My concern wasn't so much it breaking off but the seal becoming weaker each time.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

It does seem looser than when I first got the phone. I just treat it as an extra layer of protection. I would not purposely get it wet.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I love this phone but I HATE this whole charger flap thing. I shouldnt have to sweat it out every time I want to charge or drop extra cash on wireless charging just for peace of mind. I'm within the 14 day window and am considering a switch to the M8 just because of this.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I love this phone but I HATE this whole charger flap thing. I shouldnt have to sweat it out every time I want to charge or drop extra cash on wireless charging just for peace of mind. I'm within the 14 day window and am considering a switch to the M8 just because of this.

Hold the phone in your right hand, push the cover back inwards toward the right rear,

press with your left thumb on the Right Side first and slide across to the left.

It clicks closed nice and easy.

It is not the best arrangement in the world, but it works, and I am working with it w/o any problems.

There are very cheap wireless chargers available.

I am using this one:

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine' for $18.99

for that cheap price, it also INCLUDES THE CHARGER PAD !

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
mine only just broke off today and do any of yous know where to buy it from
Search on ebay for "Samsung galaxy s5 USB cover" and several will pop up(all from over seas). I have ordered 2 and received both without issues.. One to replace on for backup... Cheap and easy

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

Cubillas

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi All. I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and I've been on the Active and S5 forum today just to get my feet wet with this site.

I've owned the Active for over the year and my charger cover has broken off twice. The S4 Active cover is slightly different than the S5 cover because, it is an all plastic/rubber piece versus the S5's metal cover. However, they both have the same rubber attachment from the cover to the phone and this is where the breaks (ie, Samsung engineering failures) seem to be occurring.

I've come across several threads, both in the S5 forum and the S4 Active forum about these covers breaking. It's really disappointing to see how this design flaw is affecting S5 and S4 Active owners. It's even more discouraging to read about how the cell carriers and, more importantly, Samsung itself, are stonewalling its customers.

I assume that Samsung realizes how widespread this issue is, and the staggering cost it would take to implement a solution, which is why they've chosen the options many multi-billion dollar conglomerates do (see the ongoing GM issue where they denied their cars had any design flaws for decades and now they are paying the price for the lies they told and deaths they caused) : Deny, deny, deny and deflect blame, deflect blame, deflect blame. Obviously, there are no potential deaths involved with this design flaw, but there does appear to be a huge company that does not want to admit their engineering mistake because of the costs involved, so they are deflecting blame and even making customers pay more out-of-pocket money for Samsung's mistake.

Another sad case of "The Man" trying to stick it to the masses for its mistake. The more I think about what they are doing, the more pissed off I get.

Unfortunately, these huge conglomerates normally only have a "change of heart" once these issues go public in a big way . . . "viral" in a sense. The ways this mass publicity can happen is if this begins to appear on printed and video media (ie, newspapers, magazines, tv news programs, Youtube, Reddit, Twitter, etc.). For newspapers and tv news, as someone already pointed out, there are usually tv and newspaper reporters that devote their time to following-up on issues like this one where the manufacturer, or company providing the service, is in the wrong, but is trying to get away with it by screwing the customer. We, as a collective group, would need to contact as many of these media outlets, including blogs, Youtube, etc. to complain about this issue which Samsung seems to want to cover-up if we want to prod Samsung to do the right thing.

Failing that, another action that normally makes these "Big Brother" type companies take notice, is a class-action, law suit.

It's sad that we have to do any of the above . . . Samsung, as a company that should want to keep its customers happy, should be offering a solution that does not cost the customer for its own mistakes . . . But it doesn't make sense that we have to keep paying for "band aids" to this Samsung problem and, if we have to scream it from the highest mountains, then that's what we should do.

Sorry for the rant on my very first post, but this kind of crap companies think they can get away with (and they are getting away with it so far) that really pisses me off to no end.

kasiafed

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey, my usb flap broke off too. Is it possible to fix it without replacing with a new one?
I'm asking because, the rubber part is still holding inside the phone, but the actual flap broke off, so maybe there's a way.. anyone knows?...

rebus66

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ridiculous that consumers spend $600 on a phone with a defective part. A part mind you, that negates one of the big selling points of the phone (ip67 certification). Rather than honestly addressing their defective product, they just classify it as physical damage caused by the user. I'm pretty broke generally, and I bought the s5 as a reward for myself after getting a new job. I treat the thing like a fragile faberge egg and only charge it when necessary (every day or two). It's maddening beyond belief to deal with Samsung and T-Mobile who say I've caused physical damage to a phone I just bought in may. They won't fix it unless I pay a $100 deductible for a phone that underwent cautious use and is obviously constructed poorly. I'll never buy another Samsung phone even though I was planning to "jump" to the new Note phone later this year but can't now because I'd be trying to trade in a phone with "physical damage". <language removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

ewa12321

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am very lucky or S4 Active has better designed USB flap. Opening and closing it 2 times every day or more. My phone is over 1 year old now. From pictures that I saw USB covers are exactly the same in those phones

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where everyone's problems come from. I've had my Samsung for 2 weeks and the cover is fine. Only thing broken is the camera lense outer casing which was maybe the most horribly designed choice ....ever.

Posted via Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where everyone's problems come from. I've had my Samsung for 2 weeks and the cover is fine. Only thing broken is the camera lense outer casing which was maybe the most horribly designed choice ....ever.

Wait a while....

S Ashworth

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I have had my phone for 3 weeks. Im very careful with it. And yes cord holding dust cover has snapped. Been trying to get it fixed threw warranty and they are tr u ing to charge me just to send it out. If you take the back off you can see there is a little screw that opens a small cover and would be so easy to replace myself. Where can I get a spare? Also im wondering if that would really make a difference with the waterproofing as the seal on the cover doesnt go round that part anyway.

Lorie G

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Mine just broke this morning, I've had it for 16 days. The plastic piece that covers it, not the hinge piece, snapped right in half. I'm not rough with it, it just broke from what apparently is "normal" wear and tear according to Verizon. Insurance company wants 100 bucks to send me a refurbished phone. No thanks, I'll just do without the water/dust resistant feature.