Data connection issue?

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Relax guys if its a major issue they will fix it. Just like the bugs with the OG droid at release.

i only have one week left to 'relax' and i'm not going to hang onto a $600 phone on a wing and a prayer, if you get my drift ... something tells me that there will NOT be a bug fix before my trial period is up .. i'd love to be wrong though .. since i have to pay full retail for this phone, it's a tough decision .. we'll keep our fingers crossed :)

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i only have one week left to 'relax' and i'm not going to hang onto a $600 phone on a wing and a prayer, if you get my drift ... something tells me that there will NOT be a bug fix before my trial period is up .. i'd love to be wrong though .. since i have to pay full retail for this phone, it's a tough decision .. we'll keep our fingers crossed :)

Sadly, when you go with a just released phone rather than one that's been on the market for a few months, you have to do a satisfaction analysis.
1) Are there few enough bugs that you're satisfied with the phone?
2) If not, based on what you've read and the manufacturer's track record, do you believe the issues will be fixed by a software/firmware update in a reasonable time frame?

Based on my experience, I'd be most likely to pass both questions if it's an HTC phone. Neither question would be yes if it was Samsung. This is my first Motorola phone in a while, so I'm on the fence right now.
Being an early adopter has it's drawbacks! :)

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, when you go with a just released phone rather than one that's been on the market for a few months, you have to do a satisfaction analysis.
1) Are there few enough bugs that you're satisfied with the phone?
2) If not, based on what you've read and the manufacturer's track record, do you believe the issues will be fixed by a software/firmware update in a reasonable time frame?

Based on my experience, I'd be most likely to pass both questions if it's an HTC phone. Neither question would be yes if it was Samsung. This is my first Motorola phone in a while, so I'm on the fence right now.
Being an early adopter has it's drawbacks! :)

my issue is with the loss of data connection, not the manufacturer ... all three of my 4g phones do the same thing .. lose data connection entirely. i was hoping that the bionic would NOT exhibit the same behavior as my charge and thunderbolt, but sadly, it does ... nothing to do with being an early adapter, it's the 4g network which appears to have issues. even before there was 4g where i live, both of my 4g phones would lose their 3g connection .. and my 3g phones never had that problem.
i was on the phone with verizon tech support and her only 'solution' was to return my bionic .. they really can't fix the problems i'm having :(

i guess i have to decide whether or not i go back to my 3g only phones, iphone and trophy ... i'm just not in love with what i consider to be a 'small screen', the iphone ... great screen but sometimes i can't see things well on it ... getting old, lol ;)

jaholbro20

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am also having this issue, I however thought it might have been attributed to my use of JuiceDefender. I did however select the "Mobile data AutoFix" and so far it seems to fix the connection issue FAIRLY quickly without my having to do anything else like toggle airplane mode.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have had my phone since Friday and I have had my first dropout for about an hour so far today. I cannot get 3G or 4G. Going to CDMA only, toggling airplane mode, and a battery pull have so far been unable to restore a connection. This is my first real issue with the phone and I have loved it up until this point. I hope this is not the start of a trend.

Update: Ok, this is weird. I was looking around in my settings and under Battery & Data Manager>Data Delivery my Data Enabled was not checked. I checked it and my data was restored. I am not sure how that was unchecked because I was never in that menu today. I do have Juice Defender on my phone, so I wonder if there are times it fails to restore the data connection. But anyway, that was my problem.

Last edited:

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had my phone since Friday and I have had my first dropout for about an hour so far today. I cannot get 3G or 4G. Going to CDMA only, toggling airplane mode, and a battery pull have so far been unable to restore a connection. This is my first real issue with the phone and I have loved it up until this point. I hope this is not the start of a trend.

mine was fine until 2 days ago ... i thought 'oh boy, this phone is not going to drop connection' .. then it started doing it ... weird, as i have a friend in az and she said she never loses the connection on her charge.... that's an expensive solution for me, as i live in ny, lol ... don't think i'm going to move to az just to have a working 4g phone, haha.
i tried the new blackberry before the bionic, actually LOVED it, best keyboard on any phone ... but there's just not enough things that it can do and the 2.8" screen makes pinch to zoom difficult at best, also the data rates are slower on the bb since all data goes through rims servers ... damn, i guess there will NEVER be a perfect phone, but i'll be happy with one that does what it's supposed to!!

comiskeybum

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Try exchanging for another bionic. People over at howardforums are having luck with exchanging. Verizon has basically admitted that its only a few phones that are doing this

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Well do what you want but I highly suggest trying it. Ive read of at least 7 guys who has exchanged and not seen the problem.

Im starting to believe its a problem with the software that switches between the 4g and 3g but who knows.

i would certainly try that if i were sure it would help .... what would i have to lose at this point, other than all the things that i have put on my phone already ... as said earlier, the tech support didn't even suggest that, she said to make sure that my trial period doesn't expire, lol ... big help!!!

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Try exchanging for another bionic. People over at howardforums are having luck with exchanging. Verizon has basically admitted that its only a few phones that are doing this

not to sound like a cynic, which i am lol, but i've exchanged the tbolt and the charge, neither helped ... do i want to go through that hassle (especially when i only have one week left of trial) only to find out that it's the 'network' and not the phone???? could i possibly have gotten FIVE LEMONS ... i highly doubt it!!!! and of course verizon is going to 'admit' that it's "only a few phones that are doing this" .. do you really think they are going to come out and say 'our 4g network sucks'?.. heck no, it's a helluva lot more logical, business-wise, to say that only a few phones are screwing up .. then they avoid the guaranteed bashing in the press about a phone that was released 9 months late and which should be pretty much bug-free, or as close as possible!!

comiskeybum

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
not to sound like a cynic, which i am lol, but i've exchanged the tbolt and the charge, neither helped ... do i want to go through that hassle (especially when i only have one week left of trial) only to find out that it's the 'network' and not the phone???? could i possibly have gotten FIVE LEMONS ... i highly doubt it!!!! and of course verizon is going to 'admit' that it's "only a few phones that are doing this" .. do you really think they are going to come out and say 'our 4g network sucks'?.. heck no, it's a helluva lot more logical, business-wise, to say that only a few phones are screwing up .. then they avoid the guaranteed bashing in the press about a phone that was released 9 months late and which should be pretty much bug-free, or as close as possible!!

Well do what you want but I highly suggest trying it. Ive read of at least 7 guys who has exchanged and not seen the problem.

Im starting to believe its a problem with the software that switches between the 4g and 3g but who knows.

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

could be, but my 4g phones were losing connection even before there was 4g in my area ... they would go from 3g to no connection at all ... i may exchange it tomorrow .. i have 6 days left .. just wish the darned things would work as i don't really want to go back to my 3g phones, or use my 4g phones on 3g only, kinda defeats the purpose of buying a 4g phone .. oh well, i hope a new one fixes it, then you won't have to read these posts anymore, lol ;)

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
No 4G coverage at my home but I do get it at work. No issues at work but at home it goes from 3G to 1X then to no signal. If I wait about 10 seconds it always comes back to 3G on its own. I only had issues with it early this morning but no more problems throughout the day or night.

I have the exact same issue. I get 4G at work and dont have any issues losing connection, I only get 3G at home and i get random signal drops but after a short time it always comes back up on its own so I havent thought anything of it till reading this.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Even in 3G only area I have an issue with the signal being lost. I have to shut the phone off and turn it back on to get signal back. I have had this issue with WIFI and 4G also. Wondering if I should take it to Verizon and try to replace it... not sure.

gerelee54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Even in 3G only area I have an issue with the signal being lost. I have to shut the phone off and turn it back on to get signal back. I have had this issue with WIFI and 4G also. Wondering if I should take it to Verizon and try to replace it... not sure.

that's what tech support told me to do today, he said if i was in my 14 day trial period to bring it back to the store and get it replaced .... i don't think it will do much good but someone else posted that he's heard of several people replacing theirs and the new ones worked .. guess i'll find out tomorrow :)

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
that's what tech support told me to do today, he said if i was in my 14 day trial period to bring it back to the store and get it replaced .... i don't think it will do much good but someone else posted that he's heard of several people replacing theirs and the new ones worked .. guess i'll find out tomorrow :)

just when i want to keep the Bionic even though i have a few dislikes - i can live with most but the loss of the data connection is something i cannot live with.

in a non LTE area with CDMA only set , every so often the 3G icon will turn white and connectivity it lost - apps will report such as the market or gmail that a data connection is not avail (retry msg).

On / Off of airplane mode makes no diff, just now a restart didn't take care of it either. The status of the mobile network was shown as "connecting" and the 3G icon after the reboot was not even present....

I have to go out of town for work in a couple of days, so my trial period is limited to today 9/16. I'm afraid with this major issue to be stuck with a phone that has issues for the next 2 years (or go thru a few refurbs over time, who knows....).

If i weren't going out of town i would swap for another NEW model and see if it has the connectivity issue and if i could luck out and get one that is ok that would be great but if i make a swap today, go out of town - then I'm stuck with a new 2 yrs on contract and a phone with serious connectivity issues (also battery life with nothing running is horrible - possibly related to the connectivity drops?) ...

Too much to chance , really disappointed that this phone after such delays has such serious connectivity issues (in my home, my work blackberry, wife's Eris and my orig Droid - none have ever had issues keeping a connection , there's def an issue with the Bionic).

Setting to CDMA only, changing Home or Auto mode - nothing makes a diff, this still occurs.

Yank731

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else in NYC/Nassau County have no 3G service today? When I switch network mode to CDMA only I get zero service. Tried the airplane mode trick, powered the phone on and off but nothing worked. Switching to CDMA/LTE gives me solid 4G service.First time I've encountered this.

Update: I'm now able to select CDMA only and the 3G signal hasn't lost connection. Hopefully this was just a network bug.

Last edited:

DatkidPudge

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
nassau suffolk over here.. for some reason i can go on the internet... but the market wont load, nor facebook or twitter.. but ill get texts... ughhh this phone.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
about 5 am today I lost 3g hours later still not on I found this thread and was not feeling confident in a fix. I was ready to take the phone back to radio shack and gave one last shot. I defrosted all bloatware unrooted and did a factory reset and it worked and i still hae 3g after rooted again and froze bloatware. I thought at first I froze a system that caused the problem. But since I se so many having the same problem I guess that was not the issue. I think the phone wasn't reading the sim card if that make sense.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I like to call it gingerbreaditis...because it never happened on any phone I had 2.2 or earlier on

Sorry guys, but the above post is the only correct one I've read so far.

I'm currently on my 7th 3g device from warranty exchange. Had original Droid X which worked from launch until release of gingerbread (replaced 2 times for this issue after the update). After that, Vzw replaced it with an X2 which shipped with froyo. Worked perfectly until it updated to gingerbread. (Vzw then replaced this device 2 more times in attempts to fix the same problem). When each of these still did the same thing with Gingerbread, they decided to send me a Droid 3 instead. The Droid 3 shipped with gingerbread, and so far has had this problem the least (3 data drops in 5 days) previous two models had from 4-10 drops in a 12 hour time span each day.

In conclusion, I find it inaccurate to say that this problem stems from 4G or from bloat and simply conclude that Motorola has yet to release a properly working version of Gingerbread for any device, although 2.3.4 is definitely superior to 2.3.3 in my vast personal experience.

Nor can I blame bloat for this problem. I tried everything from complete bloat freezes to blur-less roms on both the X and X2's that I had and the problem still was never fully eliminated. By contrast, this is day 5 with the Droid 3 and I have yet to even root it and I've had less problems so far.

I hope that Motorola gets it together in a hurry (if there's a god, google will unlock the bootloaders and start releasing vanilla android on all of moto's devices, since they own them now). As it stands currently though, my next device will be an HTC. I can fix poor battery life by spending a couple bucks on extended batteries and extra chargers for the car and office but I can't fix constant data drops. Sorry Motorola, but get it together and stop releasing BETA products.

-James

NorsemanNE

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Bionic a week ago. Haven't noticed too much of an issue with data connection dropping until today.

I am in a 3G only area.
Bionic is Rooted.
It seems to always happen when I try to VNC to my computer over the 3G. I am using Pocket cloud to do this.
But it has happened erratically while driving and using just the navigation.

The other big difference I notice between the Bionic and my OG Droid, is that the Bionic really does not want to link up to 1x. Being in Nebraska, we still have pockets of 1x and my job requires me to drive all over the state so I hit them quite often.

I just now turned on the data roaming. We will see if that has any effect.

Is Cloud Pocket too much data for the phone, or network, to handle over 3G? This is the first time I am trying to use VNC.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware