ARCHIVED: [DEAD ROM] ThundeROM V1.8.3 4/5/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
Haven't flashed yet but I think I have an idea on how to fix the bottom buttons to wake the phone again. Check the following file (I use root explorer):

/system/usr/keylayout/thunder_keypad.kl

Check the lines for home, menu, back and search. Home should have another parameter after it - WAKE, and the others - WAKE_DROPPED.

Either add those or pull a copy of the file from an old image then restart the phone.

This suggestion makes the admittedly large aassumption that this was how K & B made this change.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Awesome! This worked like a charm, thank you!

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I would like to lessen some fears as well - ...I started with 1.6.2 Thunderom.. (The patched version that got rid of the LG /Sprint Update)...I downloaded the LG Mobile support tool ( Mobile Phone Support) ...Updated to the VC version..

My phone restarted..and got a bunch of errors with my apps forceclosing..But I wasn't done..Reboot into recovery..WIPE DATA / CACHE / DALVIK . . flash the 1.7.2 ZIP. Works FLAWLESS. .. fast.

Please note that I originally attempted to update directly from V9 to 1.7 .. .NOPE. ..no 3g.. had errors, etc.

but I can confirm as others have that Updating to VC with the LG tool ..and then flashing 1.7 in recovery works perfectly...

conclusion, when you run the LG update tool and your phone gets a bunch of errors upon reboot.. don't stop there.. go through with the upgrade through recovery...This is all, of course, assuming that you have a Nandroid backup of your most recent stable rom. Good luck!

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I could NOT get the LG Updater to work. Said my phone is not supported. Downloaded the Sprint LS670 USB drivers. I had taken my phone back to V9 with ThunderC custom recovery right before I had installed TR1.5 and no-go.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Am I correct to say there is no custom kernel with 1.7? The kernel is lge #2 and I need tot manually load Xionia or another one to obtain OC with SetCPU. Two issues I do notice when doing this is the loss of ability to switch to landscape mode...horrid for typing...and SD card malfunctions... Is there a kernel being made? Thanks!

Landscape typing works just fine. Sent from Tapatalk on my Lg Optimus S running ThundeROM 1.7 ..... in landscape ;)

Suggestion = Check your settings. Menu > Settings > Display > Check mark auto rotate.
If you have flashed any kernel other than what we have provided, you need to reflash the ROM to replace the kernel back to ours.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Interesting! Can you estimate how long between when you plugged it in and when you came back and saw the charging icon? Are we talking minutes or hours?

Just a few minutes - enough time to brush my teeth.

As an aside, once my phone did boot back in to ThundeROM, the issues I saw that I was originally trying to clear up with a shutdown/restart (bit laggy, intermittent data skips, fast battery draining) were in fact cleared up, and now my phone is performing as good or better than it ever has. Probably worth an hour or so of panic, but I'd really not like to go through it again.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Different Build.Prop for TR ? Any differences in user performance?

I?ve been using the DeluxeBuild.Prop for a while now and have really enjoyed how my phone performs. I realized that this build somehow messed up watching YouTube videos, but it didn?t really bother me because I don?t use the application that much. Anyhow, my question is ? has anyone used the StockBuild.Prop VS. DeluxeBuild.Prop? I know the Deluxe makes the quadrant scores get incredibly high, but is there really a huge hit in user performance? I?m just wondering if I should go to StockBuild and if I will actually lose anything tangible. Any insight on this is appreciated.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I?ve been using the DeluxeBuild.Prop for a while now and have really enjoyed how my phone performs. I realized that this build somehow messed up watching YouTube videos, but it didn?t really bother me because I don?t use the application that much. Anyhow, my question is ? has anyone used the StockBuild.Prop VS. DeluxeBuild.Prop? I know the Deluxe makes the quadrant scores get incredibly high, but is there really a huge hit in user performance? I?m just wondering if I should go to StockBuild and if I will actually lose anything tangible. Any insight on this is appreciated.

The tangible benefit for me in running deluxe over stock is not a matter of scale but a matter of certain applications working with deluxe and not working with stock. Deluxe has stagefright enabled, and the streaming audio apps that I use require stagefright. I know plenty of apps that don't work with stagefright enabled, so if I was a heavy user of those apps, I'd run stock. Any perceived performance change is secondary to me compared to whether my desired apps work or not.

Reactions: jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The tangible benefit for me in running deluxe over stock is not a matter of scale but a matter of certain applications working with deluxe and not working with stock. Deluxe has stagefright enabled, and the streaming audio apps that I use require stagefright. I know plenty of apps that don't work with stagefright enabled, so if I was a heavy user of those apps, I'd run stock. Any perceived performance change is secondary to me compared to whether my desired apps work or not.

Thank you for that...it did answer most of my questions. I guess I would still like to know how much of a difference it really makes in performance - just normal opening, closing apps. etc.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

/\/\/\ THIS IS CORRECT /\/\/\

There is no performance benefit to running deluxe. The performance shown by quadrant is falsly inflated because it's skipping the processing of h264 format and giving the highest possible score.

Where deluxe comes into play is by allowing streaming apps that use stagefright to work properly. Some examples are NPR radio, and winamp shoutcast. You need to run deluxe for these apps to work. Now the catch is, by using deluxe youtube has a green line through it which is not THAT big of a deal but certain other apps that stream may not work because stagefright doesn't handle the codec properly. I don't have any examples of these off hand but you get the point.

Do not at all make any decisions regarding deluxe or stock based off performance. The performance is the exact same. Make your decision based off if your streaming apps require stagefright to function. The regular apps like Pandora, Tunein Radio, Slacker .... those don't need stagefright so if you use those types of apps by switching to the stock buildprop they continue to work AND your youtube looks normal. You need to decide what's necessary for your apps.

Reactions: jeffreynothing43

jrsndr

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Landscape typing works just fine. Sent from Tapatalk on my Lg Optimus S running ThundeROM 1.7 ..... in landscape ;)

Suggestion = Check your settings. Menu > Settings > Display > Check mark auto rotate.
If you have flashed any kernel other than what we have provided, you need to reflash the ROM to replace the kernel back to ours.

I think in other forums this seemed to be common for people running VC with the V9 radio too.

vicvon

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I flashed over to 1.7 but in the ABOUT PHONE it says version 1.6.2. Did you forget to update the build number or is it my mistake?

Thanks for all you guys do. This phone is great because of you.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I flashed over to 1.7 but in the ABOUT PHONE it says version 1.6.2. Did you forget to update the build number or is it my mistake?

Thanks for all you guys do. This phone is great because of you.

The build number is updated. Did you flash a buildprop after flashing the ROM? If you flashed an old buildprop from your SD card those will still be 1.6.2.

Reactions: vicvon

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
So we were or were not supposed to do the OTA update before flashing from v1.6.2 to v1.7?
I just flashed on top of my v1.6.2 build that was running the stopbuggin nag removal patch.

Only thing I get from time to time is the hands free activation prompt that fails to do whatever its trying to do, then goes away for a while.

mxrider

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Has the fix sprint apps flashable zip been updated for the 1.7 build? I flashed the one that was put out for 1.6 but it started to nag me about the VC update

Edit. I don't see the flashable zip at all anymore. The reason I wanted it is because I use the blackboard app. My school doesn't officially support it but sprint users get to use it. After I pick my school it says it's only available for sprint users or schools that have licensed it and the flashable zip fixed that in the past

vicvon

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The build number is updated. Did you flash a buildprop after flashing the ROM? If you flashed an old buildprop from your SD card those will still be 1.6.2.[/QUOTE

Thanks for answering my question KSmithInNY. If I want JIT and hardware acceleration, which build prop would I flash?

ColdRush

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Just to clear things up, the data error is caused by 1.7 right? I flashed 1.7 multiple times yesterday night and had no data aswell as receiving hands free activation notifications.

This morning I flashed back to 1.6.2 and everything is fine and dandy again.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Has the fix sprint apps flashable zip been updated for the 1.7 build? I flashed the one that was put out for 1.6 but it started to nag me about the VC update

Edit. I don't see the flashable zip at all anymore. The reason I wanted it is because I use the blackboard app. My school doesn't officially support it but sprint users get to use it. After I pick my school it says it's available for sprint users or schools that have licensed it and the flashable zip fixed that in the past

We have not released our updated version to that. If you use the old version your phone will think your on v9 and start bugging you about updates again.
So we were or were not supposed to do the OTA update before flashing from v1.6.2 to v1.7?
I just flashed on top of my v1.6.2 build that was running the stopbuggin nag removal patch.

Only thing I get from time to time is the hands free activation prompt that fails to do whatever its trying to do, then goes away for a while.
Yeah you should do the update. The data problems and handsfree problems are caused by your phone being unable to verify it's PRL, PRI, and profile. You'll also likely be noticing less than stellar performance because your phone is constantly using resources to achieve the verifications i mentioned above.
Thanks for answering my question KSmithInNY. If I want JIT and hardware acceleration, which build prop would I flash?
The ROM comes with both of these enabled by default. If you flashed something different and want to get back to the default buildprop, you should have a ZIp on your Sd card called ThundeROM-Stock-Buildprop (or something like that), flash it and your back to our stock buildprop which has JIT and HW acceleration.

Last edited:
Reactions: vicvon
Status
Not open for further replies.