Do I have to switch back to iphone? Gmail notification doesn't work

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hey,

I just bought new S10e factory unlocked 2 weeks ago. Activated it 5 days ago. Overall everything seems ok, except Gmail notification!

I'm getting email notification with 5, 10, 20... minutes or hours delays, or never.

1. I searched youtube, forums, and articles, contacted samsung tech support to solve the issue

2. The issue is well known for 3 years already, since 2017 people claim the issue on different models!

3. I did and follow all ~10 possible fixes: including: sim card reinsert, restarted phone, soft reset, hard reset (factory restore), reinstalled gmail, enable all SYNC everywhere, enable all notifications in gmail setting (to constantly get notification for all emails), enable all notification in phone settings specifically and in general for gmail, removed gmail from battery optimization, tried Samsung email app, cleared all cache, etc.

4. It seems the issue so far only with gmail, other apps I think I'm getting constant notifications.

5. Please fix the issue ASAP or I would have to return the phone and go back to iphone, because constant instant notifications are very important to me. This basic features should work as a charm with no issue on Newest models. And it makes samsung look very bad if it doesn't. Especially if customers are not happy, unhappiness will spread everywhere. Please NAIL (triple test/check) all basic features and apps that should work flawlessly in the 2019 phones.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
2. The issue is well known for 3 years already, since 2017 people claim the issue on different models!

Funny, I don't seem to have had an issue with notification delays on my Nexus or Pixel devices. What devices are these claims in regards to?

5. Please fix the issue ASAP or I would have to return the phone and go back to iphone, because constant instant notifications are very important to me. This basic features should work as a charm with no issue on Newest models. And it makes samsung look very bad if it doesn't. Especially if customers are not happy, unhappiness will spread everywhere. Please NAIL (triple test/check) all basic features and apps that should work flawlessly in the 2019 phones.

Please understand that Android Central is a community of users and enthusiasts, there is no official affiliation with Google or the device manufacturers. Asking US to fix a bug in the system will get you nowhere, you need to submit feedback to your device manufacturer and/or Google directly.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

saaammm

May 30, 2019
Visit site
"Funny, I don't seem to have had an issue with notification delays on my Nexus or Pixel devices. What devices are these claims in regards to?"

Many different models, including but not limited to galaxy S and others, you can easy google "nexus or pixel gmail notification issue" 1 million articles

also a lot of threads here as well...
https://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/606005-nexus-6p-gmail-notifications.html

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having issues, and yes, I've seen multiple reports of that 'bug' going around BUT to be fair, it's not just on Samsung phones (Also, just FYI, these forums are not associated with neither Google or Samsung or any other manufacturer for that matter).

So let's check if it's your account or your device, shall we? I assume your account has no issues with notifications if you log onto a different device (phone or tablet)? What about signing into a different Google account on your current phone? Do you still have notification issues there? Are you running any battery saving apps/modes that could be restricting background use? Do you have the same issue on WiFi or mobile data?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a setting in GMail for how often the app asks the server for new emails (the polling intercal). If you have it set for 1 hour, and an email comes in right after it checks, it won't check again for another hour, so you'll "get the email an hour later".

Instead, set it for (depending on the version of GMail you're running) off or 0. That tells the server to send emails to the app as soon as they arrive. (You'll still get delays up to a minute or two, but that's how the internet works - nothing is immediate. Watch the same live video stream on 2 devices at the same time and they probably won't be perfectly in sync.)

saaammm

May 30, 2019
Visit site
What about signing into a different Google account on your current phone? - Done (I have 5 gmail accounts)
Do you still have notification issues there? Yes
Are you running any battery saving apps/modes that could be restricting background use? No
Do you have the same issue on WiFi or mobile data? Yes

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What about signing into a different Google account on your current phone? - Done (I have 5 gmail accounts)
Do you still have notification issues there? Yes
Are you running any battery saving apps/modes that could be restricting background use? No
Do you have the same issue on WiFi or mobile data? Yes

And using the same account on a different phone has no issues with notifications?

saaammm

May 30, 2019
Visit site
So I called my mobile service provider asked them to restart the service. Also again cleared cache in gmail app. Enables again "notify for every message" in gmail setting. For now it seems to work ok. we will see. people claim that it temporary work for a while, and occasionally stop working.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's just weird that if it's a carrier 'fix', it would also affect your notifications on WiFi. But glad you got it working (at least for now) and see how it goes. Definitely submit the bug via the Google channels; they can't fix what people don't report.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it works OK on WiFi but not on mobile, then it might be something on the carrier's end. Unfortunately that won't be an easy thing to debug, but since all of your GMail accounts seems to have the same issue, I'd say (somehow) this kind of traffic is being blocked/delayed by the carrier.

Have you tried switching the network mode on mobile? Maybe forcing it to connect to different connection types can help?

Only other thing I can think of would be a SIM swap... do you have any other SIM (to compare, would have to be on the same carrier) that you can use? If the same phone/location/carrier works with a different SIM and not yours, then you know it's either your account or the SIM itself.

saaammm

May 30, 2019
Visit site
1. I spent last 3 hours checking all features in this s10e Android phone.
2. I had new samsung Android phone 7 years ago with many bugs/errors, that's why I switched to iphone back then
3. Now after 3 hours testing, I found many issues within gmail, youtube, weather apps, and even in setting (sometimes freezes or little square appears around apps etc - weird stuff - i had the similar issues 7 years ago....)
4. I switched back to iphone 5 minutes ago, and gmail works instantly as for the last 7 years worked with no issues in regards to any notification. So it's not a simcard, gmail or carrier or anything else. It's android
5. Also the main discovery, when making calls with S10e it reduces my network from 4G LTE to H. And internet suck. On iphone it doesn't affect network at all and youtube and other apps and network works great. Do you aware of this issue SpookDroid?
6. I'm so disappointed in android now. I thought they fixed most of common bugs in basic apps and especially their own OS...

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
6. I'm so disappointed in android now. I thought they fixed most of common bugs in basic apps and especially their own OS...

Have you personally tried a device other than a Samsung? Again - I don't have the kinds of issues you're experiencing, even with a Samsung tablet. Samsung is not all of Android...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1. I spent last 3 hours checking all features in this s10e Android phone.
2. I had new samsung Android phone 7 years ago with many bugs/errors, that's why I switched to iphone back then
3. Now after 3 hours testing, I found many issues within gmail, youtube, weather apps, and even in setting (sometimes freezes or little square appears around apps etc - weird stuff - i had the similar issues 7 years ago....)
4. I switched back to iphone 5 minutes ago, and gmail works instantly as for the last 7 years worked with no issues in regards to any notification. So it's not a simcard, gmail or carrier or anything else. It's android
5. Also the main discovery, when making calls with S10e it reduces my network from 4G LTE to H. And internet suck. On iphone it doesn't affect network at all and youtube and other apps and network works great. Do you aware of this issue SpookDroid?

Nope, like other users chiming in here, I'm not having any of those (or any other) issues whatsoever on mine. Granted, my particular model differs from yours (both in general family and carrier-branded ROM), but still. I've been on Samsung phones since the S2 and never had those issues (and the ones I read about in the forums were either fixed by signing out and re-signing into GMail or unblocking data from their routers for those who saw it failing on WiFi). Sorry.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Go into your Gmail app notifications. Post your screenshot of the Google notification option menu as I have.
02467cc09a082a1b195de2f91866c738.jpg

saaammm

May 30, 2019
Visit site
Wow, if no one seen this issue - when making calls with S10e it reduces my network from 4G LTE to H. I will call Samsung now then, and see what they say! Probably will say that the mode is 'E' economic so it not that good... LOL
Thanks for help!

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Hey, please everyone who have the same issue CALL samsung now and file a report, and please leave on gmail support forum ticket/complain.
Wow, if no one seen this issue - when making calls with S10e it reduces my network from 4G LTE to H. I will call Samsung now then, and see what they say! Probably will say that the mode is 'E' economic so it not that good... LOL
Thanks for help!
Call Samsung?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow