Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just checked my wife's DT and it seems your cell standby is way higher than her 2%. Also, you are showing only 3g and not the 4g showing on my wife's phone. Is the signal very poor in your area?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Friends. I'm sickly jealous of the numbers I'm seeing on this thread and am dying to get close. I come to you with screenshots in hand and am begging the advice of those getting nirvana on this battery. ;-)

I have done everything advised on this thread (save for the most extreme measures, which I'm hold until last resort). These numbers are admittedly not "bad", but I know I should be able to get what most of you do - and don't feel that these match up.

I have turned off the IR sensors as well as most of the Moto bells and whistles. I have Automate-It turning off 4G data whenever I'm on Wifi, and today I set Location to Battery Saving. I'm at a loss why my number aren't through the roof, given all I've given up.

Two points-of-note .. I have the phone checking ONE pop3 email account every 30 minutes. Why would Email be using up so much battery? Another - my wakelocks are huge, but I have no idea why.

Sent from my XPS 15 9530 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-56-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-56-10.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-56-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-56-36.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-56-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-56-46.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-57-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-57-17.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-57-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-57-23.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 39

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just checked my wife's DT and it seems your cell standby is way higher than her 2%. Also, you are showing only 3g and not the 4g showing on my wife's phone. Is the signal very poor in your area?

Thanks for the info, Jay! Actually, I'm not even sure what "cell standby" means here... will have to research that a bit further but it seems close to some other screen shots in this thread. BUT, does the phone use more battery when in 3G instead of 4G? If so, that may explain it because for about 23 of the 25 hours I posted above my phone was in 3G... about 13 hours in an actual 3G data connection and then 10 hours in the 3G connection while connected to my extender. The phone has an extra little symbol on it when connected in this mode but not sure if, battery wise, it would be the same as regular cell tower 3G but I think it is.

During that long stretch of the WiFi being on, the phone was at home sitting on the counter not being used. And that large green section for Mobile Signal is when my phone was connected to a Verizon Extender because I have such poor reception in my house I bought one of those.

What is interesting though is except for that time when I was using my phone nearly constantly and I had the steep battery drop, the time were I was occasionally using it but still using it has about the same slope as when it was just sitting on my counter not being used the last 10 hours of the graph.

Seeing what hannsoft just posted, I'm not interested in saving battery THAT much. LOL I got my phone to use it and use its features. I charge it every night so being able to go 2 days without a charge isn't a huge concern. I'll also add that since I took it down to 2% in order to make this post with the pics and then recharged it, it seems like the battery is staying up much better but that could just be my imagination... will have to test during a "normal" work day when I don't drain it down so far.

Thanks!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm officially part of the 6 hour club. :)

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417417862730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417417862730.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417417873513.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417417873513.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417417882075.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417417882075.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 30

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Setting Automate-It to only sync when the screen is on has nearly doubled my batter life. I'm averaging 1D 8H with 4.5 Hrs of screen on time now. =)

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Setting Automate-It to only sync when the screen is on has nearly doubled my batter life. I'm averaging 1D 8H with 4.5 Hrs of screen on time now. =)
Thanks! That's one of my "last resort" choices though. For me, part the point in having this beauty is to be notified of things in real-time. If I sync only when it's in my hand that sorta defeats the purpose for me.

Take one of my two biggest mysteries there.. Pop3 email. I have an email address that I have all bank related email sent to. Banks, credit cards, brokerages - anything financial. If I get anything sent to that address from any of those institutions I want to see it as quickly as possible. I used to have it update every 15 minutes (which I've done on the last 3 smartphones I've had), but have now scaled that back to every 30, wondering if that'll keep email of the biggest-hog list there. Didn't work.

I envy those that can even only get 18 hours - but can do it with 4 or 5 hours of screen time. Just can't get there here.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have my turbo somewhat but not extremely optimized. I traveled over Thanksgiving and used it quite heavily (for me), never babied it, and never came close to running out of juice in one day. This is not the perfect phone but the battery makes everything else ok (for me).

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have my turbo somewhat but not extremely optimized. I traveled over Thanksgiving and used it quite heavily (for me), never babied it, and never came close to running out of juice in one day. This is not the perfect phone but the battery makes everything else ok (for me).
It's dang close to the perfect phone IMO. I do wish the screen was a tad bugger, but I'm dealin'.

I can get through a typical day, too, with power to spare, but I feel like I'm doing something stupid here that's robbing me of the time I MIGHT be able to get.

Then there's battery lifetime. If I can charge every OTHER night instead of every night I might not be begging for a new phone on 11/2/16. ;-) But that kind of habit is a fantasy at this point.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so in my frustration last night I thought "ok either no one has any clue about the peculiarity of my numbers or I'm some kind of periha and no one wants to help" . ;-)

So I turned on almost every option I had turned off and said f-it, I'm just gonna enjoy the phone and it's awesome featureset and get whatever I can out of the battery. After I did that, though, I started looking closely at some of the apps running on the phone and noticed that some of them had been running in the background for 150+ hours. Damn, I thought - been a long time since I rebooted! Those apps aren't showing up as battery hogs, but wow - running that long, they have to be using up something, and I'm not using them. So I rebooted.

What a difference a reboot can make. Look at today's numbers. MUCH better. This thing has been sipping at power all day, and really only started going down at a decent rate tonight when I've been using the heck out of it. Texting, Facebook Messenger, a YouTube video, etc. Lots of screen time. Still not the 4+ hours that many of you get, but I think now the that I'm barking up the wrong tree. I've used the phone like crazy tonight and, after almost 16 hours I still have more than a quarter of my battery left. Damn that's good. I can be happy with that.

So here's some battery advice. Like they say at Dell tech support: when in doubt, reboot. No, just try it. Really. Can't hurt, but it sure can help!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417582798326.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417582798326.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 47

garyll

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
After 2 weeks I'm averaging 10h active with 5 hr of screen time. That is more than enough to keep me happy, I have yet to run it below 50%.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish I knew how you're doing it. Congrats, though!

I think you can get that depending on what important to you. If you turn off Google location reporting, Google now and location security stuff in Google settings you should see a good improvement. I also turn background Sync when sleeping (via automateit) and turn off Moto actions.

Here's my last run.
8ee2419a83b6b056bf179298968f3e52.jpg

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

INCREMENTAL

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Well guys here's my last run, it doesn't get much better then this. Over 6hrs of screen time, I ended up getting 39hrs off the charger before it completely died, this was with no WiFi also, all 4G data. I think with a solid 1 day of heavy usage I woulda got over 8hrs of screen time with no problem.

I'm really happy with these stats. My brightness was set to around 1/3 and I had no GPS location services on, moto display is enabled and surprisingly only made up for .4% of battery use.

Guys this phone can show good battery results u just have to strive to make it your #1 thing when u use ur phone. If u stay on top of it like I did you will get similar #s.

Note: the last pic was my final screenshots and then the turbo died.

Edit: also if u think about it, 39hrs is getting close to the 48hr mark and 6hrs of screen time is also a decent amount. 48hrs could be easily achievable if I would have had a hour less screen time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3943.jpg
    3943.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 3944.jpg
    3944.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 3945.jpg
    3945.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 111
  • 3942.jpg
    3942.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 3950.jpg
    3950.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 108

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What's funny is that before I made my post in this thread my phone was acting somewhat predictably with battery life. Before I posted I'd charge each night. When I made the post I let the battery run way down then used the Turbo charger to charge it back up (normally use a Qi). Since then, my battery has been all over the place... stays at 100% for 5 hours then drops rapidly. Goes to 90% after an hour with zero use, etc. I'll try some of what I see recommended here to get it back to acting normally but just thought I'd mention that letting my phone's battery go down to about nothing seems to have screwed it all up! :)

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is that before I made my post in this thread my phone was acting somewhat predictably with battery life. Before I posted I'd charge each night. When I made the post I let the battery run way down then used the Turbo charger to charge it back up (normally use a Qi). Since then, my battery has been all over the place... stays at 100% for 5 hours then drops rapidly. Goes to 90% after an hour with zero use, etc. I'll try some of what I see recommended here to get it back to acting normally but just thought I'd mention that letting my phone's battery go down to about nothing seems to have screwed it all up! :)

Do a wipe of the system cache partition also. I have noticed it helps my phone to do it weekly. Not too sure why but it does. Hope that helps. Sorry you are having troubles.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

There's definitely something wrong with the Turbo's battery and/or software, same thing happen to me twice already with the battery going crazy, I use to average 6 hrs of SoT, since the last battery mess up I've only been averaging 5 hrs, maybe my usage pattern has changed I don't know, just hoping that the problem is in the software and we'll get the fix when lollipop arrive.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot_2014-12-03-18-00-59.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-03-18-01-10.jpg

Bit better now, not blown away by on-screen time though - maybe it's just because of all the idle time on it and data synching for two and a half days.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to change data synch so it doesn't synch at night, and Gmail does it every 30 minutes - also how do you make it so it doesn't accept incoming calls and text during certain periods from certain people?

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 152307View attachment 152308

Bit better now, not blown away by on-screen time though - maybe it's just because of all the idle time on it and data synching for two and a half days.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to change data synch so it doesn't synch at night, and Gmail does it every 30 minutes - also how do you make it so it doesn't accept incoming calls and text during certain periods from certain people?

I use automateit from the app store to turn background syncing off at night and on in the morning. You can configure Moto assist to take care of quite time at night.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe