Evo 3d vs. Nexus S 4g Video (side by side)

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Check out these videos:

Links posted below (accidently copied mobile links).

Very interesting results.

Last edited:

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No comments? Really? As someone who was looking at both phones, these videos were helpful. However, it would be nice to hear (read) other opinions too.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I made a derision. I'd go for...... Nexus S 4G. Because I am old fashion. I usually check email, text, and calling. I don't see why I want to play games or watch movies on phone in my daily. You can tell I am busy person with great social than isolate and impatient person.

Thanks for great result! :cool:

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I used the Nexus S for two weeks, traded it in within my 30 days for Evo 3d and have had it since the day it came out, here's my opinions on the two phones (watched the first part of the video, pretty similar to what he says but here goes):

Nexus S-- Much nicer build quality, much nicer screen (yes slightly lower resolution, but AMOLED just looks sooo much nicer compared to qHD). Very smooth for using basic integrated apps, but single-core 1Ghz CPU chugs pretty often if you try to get into "hardcore user" type stuff. Not too very difficult to root/flash, I ended up with both vanilla AOSP and CM7 on mine, overclocked to about 1.3Ghz (note, still chugged noticeably on games and other things).

Overall, much better out-of-the-box experience, if you just want a great phone to use as-is and do things similar to what LegendarySoul said he wanted to do, then DEFINITELY get this phone.

Evo 3D-- Lower build quality, I remember being disappointed with the out-of-the-box impression. The back cover is a cool rubberized texture, but the rocker/power keys are covered with it too, making them very annoying to press compared to the Nexus S (this was the hardest thing about the switch from Nexus S to Evo 3D) qHD looks nice, I switched everything over to Serif font just because it had the resolution to show it off and it looked really cool. Not anywhere near as vibrant as AMOLED though. 3d screen and camera are pretty cool, but if you buy this phone for that express purpose, you'll probably be disappointed at the options (not many movies/games, and can't use the GUI in 3d). However, if you just want this phone for the specs then the 3d is a very cool side-feature. Not rooted yet so can't say anything about flashing or customizing. Bloatware boarders on absurd. Now to the good part :D The hardware on this sucker is just outstanding. Dual-core 1.2 GHz means that even when 3d gaming or doing really hardcore stuff, I haven't even seen it so much as stutter.

If you're a hardcore user and really like to tinker with, and get the absolute max out of your phone, DEFINITELY go with the Evo 3d. Just messing with them side by side would make you think Nexus S is better, (HINT: This is why reviewers don't like the Evo 3d very much! They only test it for a day or so and don't actually use them both for 2 weeks like I did :D ) but once you get down to the nitty gritty the Evo 3d blows it out of the water.

Hope someone finds this useful, if not at least it was fun to write :D

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the write-up. I tend to agree, but would add that while the Evo has 3d capabilities and ostensibly provides a better gaming experience, the Nexus has out of the box wireless tethering and NFC integration. Now the wireless tethering can be addressed with rooting, however the NFC integration with the Nexus gives it a more useful advantage that rooting cannot address. For example, one can buy an NFC chip and program it with their Nexus or use it as it becomes more popular in the coming year. Already web sites are starting to appear that sell NFC chips and Amazon even has them.

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Good point, I remember being excited about the NFC in the Nexus but completely forgot about it when I switched to the Evo since it's basically useless in the States at this point. If / When it gets big here then that becomes more of an issue.

Also worth noting is that wireless tethering can still be done with "Easy Tether" on the Evo 3D already, and of course root tethering will be possible within a week or two (like you said)

Jimmy Chitwood

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the write-up. I tend to agree, but would add that while the Evo has 3d capabilities and ostensibly provides a better gaming experience, the Nexus has out of the box wireless tethering and NFC integration. Now the wireless tethering can be addressed with rooting, however the NFC integration with the Nexus gives it a more useful advantage that rooting cannot address. For example, one can buy an NFC chip and program it with their Nexus or use it as it becomes more popular in the coming year. Already web sites are starting to appear that sell NFC chips and Amazon even has them.

Honestly, can someone explain why as consumers we should be excited for NFC? I mean I understand why Apple and Google are happy and Visa and MC probably are not. To me, it looks like a new way to facilitate monetary transactions. Are there going to be things you can only buy with NFC? Will credit cards not be supported at the end of the two year contract and you will have to go back to using cash? I love gadgets and new things as much as the next person but I hink an extra processing.core will be more handy when these phones start to get long in the tooth in a few years.

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
@Jimmy NFC is basically Bluetooth's cooler older brother.

At its core it's just a wireless data transmission protocol, but what that means (because it's so powerful) is that any 2 devices that have NFC can hook up in any way

For example, as you alluded to, you could touch your phone to a pad at Walmart to pay for something instead of swiping your card through the machine. That probably won't ever be the ONLY way to pay for something, but it's much more convenient (pretty popular in Japan).

Extending on that, if you owe someone $7.23 for your split of a pizza, you could just both whip out the phones and transfer the money over (owing someone money is the biggest hassle in the known universe.)

Outside of payments, it has many other phone-to-phone concepts. The old "tell me your number and i'll type it in and send you a text with my name and blah blah blah" routine of exchanging numbers will die, just press "exchange" and tap phones together and it'll auto-add to contacts. Similarly transfer any type of file, game save, whatever you might want.

Other non-phone-to-phone examples could be ID (the university I work for is especially excited for this one, our current key-card system feels old and we all want NFC-entry to our offices lol), and even to the extreme end anything crazy like house automation (Turn off the lights/TV/AC, whatever when you leave and turn it all back on when you walk in the front door) etc

Essentially NFC symbolizes (but as of now doesn't fully embody) all of the cool possibilities of wirelessly doing things

(lol sorry for the rant, I just like the idea of NFC xD)

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I've found the Nexus S quite laggy because of its low amount of RAM available.
Its battery life was great though.

metdenn

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think that the guy missed pointing out in these videos AND the SGX2 ones is that the EVO 3D could have been a hair slower because it is rendering much more pixels thanks to a difference in resolution. It is especially evident in the CNN page, where it has more videos and articles listed. If there was a way to downgrade the EVO 3D's resolution, I'm sure it would be just as fast as SGX2, and DEFINITELY faster than the Nexus.

That being said... I love the blacks on the SGX2, but some of the videos the people looked pinkish, which suggests super-saturation... not sure if that is enough to really push me away from the SGX2 if it was out now in the US. I think higher resolution should win out, not to mention that HTC is very people friendly (AND actually pushes out updates.) Still, those blacks...

mykrlz182

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why some people say "oh but the best 3d doesn't have NFC" by the time it's actually usable and fully supported her in the states the Nexus's hardware will be pretty outdated. So I don't see that as a plus at all.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, can someone explain why as consumers we should be excited for NFC? I mean I understand why Apple and Google are happy and Visa and MC probably are not. To me, it looks like a new way to facilitate monetary transactions. Are there going to be things you can only buy with NFC? Will credit cards not be supported at the end of the two year contract and you will have to go back to using cash? I love gadgets and new things as much as the next person but I hink an extra processing.core will be more handy when these phones start to get long in the tooth in a few years.

Here is a great video that shows some of the things that the NFC chip can do. This is a must watch video for looking at the NFC capabilities very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqmyNEQPq0&sns=em

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
@Jimmy NFC is basically Bluetooth's cooler older brother.

At its core it's just a wireless data transmission protocol, but what that means (because it's so powerful) is that any 2 devices that have NFC can hook up in any way

For example, as you alluded to, you could touch your phone to a pad at Walmart to pay for something instead of swiping your card through the machine. That probably won't ever be the ONLY way to pay for something, but it's much more convenient (pretty popular in Japan).

Extending on that, if you owe someone $7.23 for your split of a pizza, you could just both whip out the phones and transfer the money over (owing someone money is the biggest hassle in the known universe.)

Outside of payments, it has many other phone-to-phone concepts. The old "tell me your number and i'll type it in and send you a text with my name and blah blah blah" routine of exchanging numbers will die, just press "exchange" and tap phones together and it'll auto-add to contacts. Similarly transfer any type of file, game save, whatever you might want.

Other non-phone-to-phone examples could be ID (the university I work for is especially excited for this one, our current key-card system feels old and we all want NFC-entry to our offices lol), and even to the extreme end anything crazy like house automation (Turn off the lights/TV/AC, whatever when you leave and turn it all back on when you walk in the front door) etc

Essentially NFC symbolizes (but as of now doesn't fully embody) all of the cool possibilities of wirelessly doing things

(lol sorry for the rant, I just like the idea of NFC xD)

strat1227, thanks for explaining in good detail the possibilities of NFC. It does seem like it could have some useful features. I actually use Bluetooth a lot in my day to day life so I'm reaping the rewards of near field transmissions now. I assume there are technical reasons for not implementing them using the BT protocol? At some point I'm going to get this: Let me google that for you.

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
NFC is just a bunch faster than BT is capable of

BT does have its advantages though, NFC requires the two devices to be very close (like you holding it up to something, couldn't do a headset or anything more than about 6" away)

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I love that NFC is being used in some facet, but IMO google's NFC app is the least convincing usage of NFC

Basically everything that app can do is like a dumbed down version of what Tasker can do without NFC tags, thay're just a fancier (more expensive) way to do it

When we start getting things that NFC can do that other things can't (pay for things, etc (see my earlier post)), then I'll be chomping at the bit, as of now, a resounding meh.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I love that NFC is being used in some facet, but IMO google's NFC app is the least convincing usage of NFC

Basically everything that app can do is like a dumbed down version of what Tasker can do without NFC tags, thay're just a fancier (more expensive) way to do it

When we start getting things that NFC can do that other things can't (pay for things, etc (see my earlier post)), then I'll be chomping at the bit, as of now, a resounding meh.

Hmm, I disagree. It seems pretty sweet to set up your own nfc tags. For example, as in the video, it would be kewl to set up a tag in your car, so that whenever you go in your car with your phone, it will turn off the wireless feature, turn off the ringer, and turn on the Bluetooth. No more sitting in your car and adjusting your settings manually. Then you go home or work/school and use either the same tag or another to turn off the Bluetooth, turn on the ringer, and turn on the wireless. Again, no more manual adjustments of the phone. That is pretty kewl.

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
All that is stuff that Tasker can do already though (note that in the video he points out you can run Tasker tags, that's because Tasker is basically a beefed up version of that)

Yes you can't do a swipe to initiate it, but Tasker has like 10 kajillion triggers already, anything I could possibly use a NFC to trigger I can set a Tasker to do without having to buy an NFC card lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroharoo