Galaxy S7 - Front Facing Camera - Awful Quality

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Its not the settings. Also nothing over the camera.

The S7 simply refuses to focus on my face. Its focusing the whole image and significantly reducing the quality of my facial features. I wish i could return this phone.. i can't take a selfie.. its embarrassing how bad the quality is.

Here is a selfie I just took while I was in a cafe smoking a hookah....all default settings, no effects, HDR set to Auto:

6SVl39o.jpg

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Here are some front facing camera "blacks". The shirt photo on the left is just the available natural light in the room (north and east facing windows). On the right is the same room with overhead recessed lights on.

black.jpg

drinkoldcoke

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Its not the settings. Also nothing over the camera.

The S7 simply refuses to focus on my face. Its focusing the whole image and significantly reducing the quality of my facial features. I wish i could return this phone.. i can't take a selfie.. its embarrassing how bad the quality is.

Maybe your phone just hates your face, are you horribly ugly ..? I am totally joking :D

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely something that not everyone is seeing (based on a few threads on XDA). Having a fixed-focus selfie camera is absolutely ridiculous for a flagship phone, and I really can't see Samsung doing that!

Some believe it's been fixed in newer firmware versions, though we still don't know for sure. Mine has the issue, though I don't take many selfies

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
It's a software processing thing. If you look carefully you'll notice that the final JPEG output is noticeably softer than what you see in the actual viewfinder before you take the shot. Therefore, it's not a hardware problem but merely some overzealous software processing going on. Overly aggressive on the 'beauty mode' even if all sliders are set to zero. Something that could easily be fixed with a software update. We'll see if Samsung delivers.

When I directly compared the S6 edge (that I had as a work phone for a while) to my own personal S7 the former produced selfies that were crisper, with more detail, despite the superior hardware on the latter. Definitely a software thing.

Restrictive

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a software processing thing. If you look carefully you'll notice that the final JPEG output is noticeably softer than what you see in the actual viewfinder before you take the shot. Therefore, it's not a hardware problem but merely some overzealous software processing going on. Overly aggressive on the 'beauty mode' even if all sliders are set to zero. Something that could easily be fixed with a software update. We'll see if Samsung delivers.

When I directly compared the S6 edge (that I had as a work phone for a while) to my own personal S7 the former produced selfies that were crisper, with more detail, despite the superior hardware on the latter. Definitely a software thing.
Yep you're right, but even in the viewfinder it looks soft.
Not got an S7 but hate the way thr front camera camera lacks detail and looks incredibly soft.
I think Samsung should give people a choice, If people want soft photos turn up the beauty slider and If you dont turn the beauty slider down and that should determine processing.

The 6P front camera is great look at the difference in detail etc.
eT6uh5O.png

S7
hwnxxYw.png

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I find myself using the rear camera selfie mode recently (which is actually incredibly easy to use). It's an optional extra that can be downloaded from the Galaxy Apps Store.

It auto recognises your face and snaps a pic after two seconds. Using the main rear 12MP camera. Really easy to use and recognises my face 100% of the time, despite me wearing glasses.

Hawgfan486

May 29, 2016
Visit site
I, like two other posters have already mentioned, have been using the Rear Camera Selfie Mode. You can download it from Galaxy Apps, and it works great. The rear camera takes phenomenal pictures, and ever since I found the rear cam selfie I don't think I've used the front camera once. Just hold it up and once it recognizes a face in the frame, it beeps a few times for a countdown and then snaps the pic automatically

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

I'm experiencing the same thing. I think it's the post-processing. The pics look a LOT worse than they do in the "viewfinder"

Lainai

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing. I think it's the post-processing. The pics look a LOT worse than they do in the "viewfinder"

I just got a new black s7 and before that I used the s5. the camera is awful, even when I use the snapchat camera which always worked like magic for me, the difference is super visible... I got this phone because I heard it's great for pictures, but the front camera is one hell a lot worse. Super disappointed.

Mariyah P

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Same here I had the s4 and now the s7 and I don't like neither the front or back camera it sucks..my s4 took wonderful pics..I'm pissed

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
That's cuz Korea phones makes the front blurry so that people's skin look more matte and clear. it's suppose to make you look better. in America or western culture this might not make sense, but in Korea, people don't like selfies looking HD with your moles and pores showing perfectly. In other words, Samsung does this on purpose.

Posted via the Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Rear cam selfie does not work for me. Does nothing.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.