Google Chrome miniature icons embedded in bottom right of my home page icons?

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
The above started today. Why? How do I remove them? They serve no purpose. Only clutter. Thank you!

Last edited:

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
B.Diddy posted: "I really don't think you can get rid of those, because it's how the system shows an icon that is a shortcut to a website via the browser. You could test it by going to any website and creating a new shortcut to place on the homescreen, and see if that one also has a Chrome icon at the lower right.

Here's an example of one I created using Chrome on my Galaxy Tab A7 lite:"

Ok,
I've never purposely done a "shortcut"... Don't know how or what. I've been adding icons to my home page the same way for 2+ years... the mini icons didn't appear until today.

Maybe the question is how will you, B.Diddy, remove the mini I you just created... Because that's all I'm trying to do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What process have you used these past couple of years to get all of those shortcuts (i.e., the ones with the DuckDuckGo logo in the center and the Chrome icon at the lower right) onto the homescreen? Those are all webpage shortcuts -- they're not individual apps.

The question as to why the little Chrome icon appeared at the lower right of each shortcut might have to do with a recent update to your browser apps, or possibly to some other system component (like Google Play Services).

If I want to remove the whole shortcut, it's just a matter of long-pressing it and selecting Remove. There's no removing the little Chrome icon at the lower right, because that's just part of what gets created when you make a webpage shortcut on the homescreen.

You can send feedback to Google as well as the developer of the browser you're using (if it's not Chrome) about this, but chances are they won't change how this looks.

EDIT: Now that I look more closely, it appears that those shortcuts are all being created by Chrome, and the ones with the DuckDuckGo logo in the middle are most likely search results using the DuckDuckGo search engine in Chrome that you're saving as a shortcut.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As a test, I installed the DuckDuckGo Browser, just to see if this behavior happens on other browsers. It does -- except this time, there's a DuckDuckGo logo at the lower right, not Chrome (because I created the shortcut using the DuckDuckGo browser):

Screenshot_20230129_191353_One UI Home.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang and Kizzy... I'll try your suggestions next weekend. I'm out of time until then. I'm almost at the point where I can live with the mini icons... But I will try your suggestions.

Thank ALL of you for your time and thoughts!!
Kizzy suggestion is a good one to prevent apps or shortcuts adding to home screen automatically without you but I still suggest you go into safe mode to try deleting them or going in and then back out to see if it gets rid of those short cut

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
B.Diddy... When I want to make a reminder to myself on my home page, I go to Chrome, which has Duck Duck Go as my search engine, and I type the reminder and click Add To Home Page... I've been doing exactly that for over 2 years without any mini icons embedded until today.

I know I can eliminate the whole icon reminder by dragging it to the top of the screen... But I only do that when the reminder is no longer needed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B.Diddy... When I want to make a reminder to myself on my home page, I go to Chrome, which has Duck Duck Go as my search engine, and I type the reminder and click Add To Home Page... I've been doing exactly that for over 2 years without any mini icons embedded until today.

I know I can eliminate the whole icon reminder by dragging it to the top of the screen... But I only do that when the reminder is no longer needed.

It sounds like something updated recently to cause this. It's definitely not the Android version, because this behavior happens on my old Pixel C (running Oreo) as well as my other devices (running Android 13). I don't typically create webpage shortcuts on my homescreen, so I can't say definitively how long this has been going on. But judging from what you describe, it's most likely due to a recent update to Chrome or perhaps Google Play Services, or a Google Play system update. I wish I could tell you how to get rid of it, but I don't think it's possible.

Have you ever considered using Google Keep for your reminders (which would show as a list)? Or do you prefer having individual icons on the homescreen for each reminder?

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
I probably prefer reminders on my home page... Even with the mini icons.

Of course I frequently update whatever play store updates are sent to my tablet, as long as I recognize the app.

I should mention that a new app appeared on one of my home pages out of nowhere. It's now included in my list of 45 apps (85% are Google related pre installed apps)... It's called Tablet Center and it's courtesy of Lenovo.

I just tried uninstalling it, but the best I could do was to force stop it... To no avail re the mini icons.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like something Lenovo would throw in. I actually have that tablet in storage somewhere, but haven't used it for a long time. Did it just get a system update from Lenovo?

dj54321

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Ok. I think we're getting somewhere. The new Tablet Center app appeared on one of my home pages out of nowhere *Saturday night or Sunday morning*. Here's likely why: On Saturday I clicked on System and System Updates under Settings and it gave me the opportunity to update to Android 10. This was weird since I updated from 9 to 10 over 1 1/2 years ear ago. But I went ahead and clicked on update to Android 10 anyway.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I think we're getting somewhere. The new Tablet Center app appeared on one of my home pages out of nowhere *Saturday night or Sunday morning*. Here's likely why: On Saturday I clicked on System and System Updates under Settings and it gave me the opportunity to update to Android 10. This was weird since I updated from 9 to 10 over 1 1/2 years ear ago. But I went ahead and clicked on update to Android 10 anyway.

It was probably a system update that included bugfixes and enhancements to Android 10 (not upgrading all over again to Android 10).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi