Google Pixel 6/Pro - just over the horizon?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Verizon usually gets the new Pixel phones as soon as they are released? I've had Samsung Note phones since the Note 2 and am done with them (still using my N8 I got release weekend in 2017).

I've never really looked at Pixels seriously until now so I have no idea if Verizon gets them right away when released or not.

Yes, in the past Verizon has them on their site to order on launch day. I ordered the Pixel 1 and 3XL that way.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I will most likely get the 6 Pro to replace my 3XL. Not pleased about the dumbazz curved screen though.
Exactly this! I frickin' HATE curved screens but it seems the phone manufacturers are not going to stop making them. It's one of the things I hate most, (actually the only thing I don't like) about my Note 8.

If reviews are good on the P6Pro, I'll probably get one to finally upgrade my N8 after 4 years (longest I've ever had a phone).

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I saw the photo, but I'm not necessarily talking a pixel stand. I have a stand that has a higher backrest than the pixel. However, with what I have read about this 6; I see no reason to purchase it. That camel hump appears to be too much for me. Placing it in a rear pocket (or front) laying it on a table; etc., just not appear to work for me. Cannot understand the purpose when other manufactures are adding cameras just as good with no large, phone wide hump.

Yep that’s perfectly fine too. As long as the camera hardware lives up to expectations there’s nothing for me to think about. I love the design of the phones this year as they instantly stand out from the traditional slab at least on the rear. It’s just exciting to see Google actually putting more thought into things this year.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Exactly this! I frickin' HATE curved screens but it seems the phone manufacturers are not going to stop making them. It's one of the things I hate most, (actually the only thing I don't like) about my Note 8.

If reviews are good on the P6Pro, I'll probably get one to finally upgrade my N8 after 4 years (longest I've ever had a phone).

Wow 4 years. That’s impressive. The last phone that I’ve had almost two years was the OnePlus 7 Pro and it was truly a beauty. Didn’t need to upgrade honestly but wanted to try out iPhone which I’m using now and as you can see I’m just counting down the days.lol

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I will most likely get the 6 Pro to replace my 3XL. Not pleased about the dumbazz curved screen though.

If you're looking for the largest version, or the other differentiators between the 6 Pro/XL vs 6 are attractive, it's a burden you have to be willing to deal with. If the differences other than screen size aren't that big a deal, it's worth noting that the "smaller" version still has a larger - and flat - display at 6.4" than any prior Pixel (your 3 XL has a 6.3").

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to the case size comparison, the 6 pro xl actually looks doable compared to my 3xl. Seeing it in the flesh will answer that question for sure though :p

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to the case size comparison, the 6 pro xl actually looks doable compared to my 3xl. Seeing it in the flesh will answer that question for sure though :p

It's nice to have a general impression of how big a phone would be, instead of not having some real-life renders to compare it to.

kagenish

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
A bunch tech youtubers are talking about the pixel 6 & pixel 6 pro. I can't wait to see it and better yet get since I'm still rocking a pixel 3xl.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I always thought it would be a game-changer if Google could apply its HDR+ prowess to video, but knowing how long it took to process for a single frame didn't think it could happen when recording motion.

Then I read this...

The main reason the Pixel 6’s video was better, according to Osterloh, is that putting the TPU in line with the whole image processing stand means that the same HDRNet process that Google applies to still images can now be applied to every single frame in video. The demo I saw was in 4K at 30fps.
(source)

Google set the bar so incredibly high with their computational photography when they first launched the original Pixel that it took competitors years and far better hardware to actually catch up. Now, with the Pixel 6/6 Pro likely vaunting modern camera hardware as well, they have the opportunity to do so again.

I'm trying really, really hard to dampen my expectations so that I only anticipate truly competitive performance with the current video royalty. At any rate, it has to perform better than the Pixels of today.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Google Pixel 6/Pro

I always thought it would be a game-changer if Google could apply its HDR+ prowess to video, but knowing how long it took to process for a single frame didn't think it could happen when recording motion.

Then I read this...

(source)

Google set the bar so incredibly high with their computational photography when they first launched the original Pixel that it took competitors years and far better hardware to actually catch up. Now, with the Pixel 6/6 Pro likely vaunting modern camera hardware as well, they have the opportunity to do so again.

I'm trying really, really hard to dampen my expectations so that I only anticipate truly competitive performance with the current video royalty. At any rate, it has to perform better than the Pixels of today.

Wow if they can do it for video…game changer for sure. I’m trying hard not to get too high myself but I think it’s too late.lol Plus if it does not meet what I was looking for I can always go to the S21 Ultra which has been high on my list all year.

Update: so I just watched the video and I’m super hyped now. Thanks for including the source and if anyone comes across news like this feel free to share it here. I’d like to make this thread a hub for Pixel 6 news.

Last edited:

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
After watching videos from the The Verge and MBKHD…. I am so hyped for the Pixel 6 Pro.

I think I will skip the Fold 3 and wait for this phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow if they can do it for video…game changer for sure.

A ton of articles refer to the video comparison they were allowed to see (but not directly share) between the iPhone 12 Pro Max, Pixel 5, and Pixel 6, where they unanimously agreed that the new Pixel had a clear advantage over either (albeit with the caveat that it was a particularly challenging condition and that it was a video that Google selected). I, along with probably everyone else, thought that the original reveal comparison of Nightsight seemed too good to be true, only to be treated to the fact that it was very much in line with actual performance at release. Yep, I'm all set for it. Just depressed that it's pretty much a certainty that I won't be able to get my hands on one in advance of a big trip I'm taking on October 20 (Murphy's Law prediction: it will be shipped for delivery to first wave on October 20 via a means that delivers to me shortly after I have to go to the airport).

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
A ton of articles refer to the video comparison they were allowed to see (but not directly share) between the iPhone 12 Pro Max, Pixel 5, and Pixel 6, where they unanimously agreed that the new Pixel had a clear advantage over either (albeit with the caveat that it was a particularly challenging condition and that it was a video that Google selected). I, along with probably everyone else, thought that the original reveal comparison of Nightsight seemed too good to be true, only to be treated to the fact that it was very much in line with actual performance at release. Yep, I'm all set for it. Just depressed that it's pretty much a certainty that I won't be able to get my hands on one in advance of a big trip I'm taking on October 20 (Murphy's Law prediction: it will be shipped for delivery to first wave on October 20 via a means that delivers to me shortly after I have to go to the airport).

Oh ok got you. I’m hoping for late September announcement and early October availability. Maybe you’ll have it in time for the trip.