Google Pixel 6/Pro - just over the horizon?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I've become very intrigued by the Pixel 6 series and have watched a lot of the recent videos about going over the specs that Google has allowed the reviewers to discuss. One video I watched this morning said the P6 will have a glass back.
Now I've never owned a glass backed phone but by my logic I would think that would increase the fragility of the phone and dictate the use of a protective case with screen protector. Not something I considered doing with these unique and distinctive looking phones. I just don't see any advantage to using glass as the material for the back of the phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've become very intrigued by the Pixel 6 series and have watched a lot of the recent videos about going over the specs that Google has allowed the reviewers to discuss. One video I watched this morning said the P6 will have a glass back.
Now I've never owned a glass backed phone but by my logic I would think that would increase the fragility of the phone and dictate the use of a protective case with screen protector. Not something I considered doing with these unique and distinctive looking phones. I just don't see any advantage to using glass as the material for the back of the phone.

A lot of folks would agree with you including me..... but it's a bit of a conundrum, glass definitely makes a phone more fragile, but folks won't pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a plastic phone because it doesn't feel "premium".

I always put cases on my phones, sometimes clear to show the phone off if it's a "looker", but I do like the slight heft and feel of glass or metal over plastic. I wasn't always that way though.... the industry kinda led me down the primrose path :eek: ;)

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
A lot of folks would agree with you including me..... but it's a bit of a conundrum, glass definitely makes a phone more fragile, but folks won't pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a plastic phone because it doesn't feel "premium".

I always put cases on my phones, sometimes clear to show the phone off if it's a "looker", but I do like the slight heft and feel of glass or metal over plastic. I wasn't always that way though.... the industry kinda led me down the primrose path :eek: ;)
I certainly don't consider an easily shattered phone back as premium. The Pixel 5 aluminum enclosure and resin coating is brilliant and more premium in my opinion. That is what I was hoping for the P6 series. So I'm a bit disappointed in the P6, now that possibly won't stop me from buying the P6.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So there's no Note 21 Ultra right?

Great timing because I am LOVING this Pixel, first time EVER I'm excited for it. Reminds me of one of my top 10 phones of all-time, the nexus 6P.

I will be picking up the Pro for sure.

That's so exciting! Us Pixel users know that love and excitement for Pixels run deep! Do you know what colour you'd like to get?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Not all pixel users feel excitement for the pixel 6. That's a fact, since I'm a current pixel 4XL user who finds the 6 downright fugly with an untested processor.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Not all pixel users feel excitement for the pixel 6. That's a fact, since I'm a current pixel 4XL user who finds the 6 downright fugly with an untested processor.
My Pixel 4a is my first Pixel, my first Android phone is the original Nexus which I still have (it's so tiny).
I am excited over the P6 series (not the glass back). At first I thought the same as you that it's a bit ugly. Now I like to think of it as "distinctive". Sometimes rationalization can be a good thing.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
That's so exciting! Us Pixel users know that love and excitement for Pixels run deep! Do you know what colour you'd like to get?
I guess white with pink.

What is it with Samsung & Google only releasing the "exciting" colors on the non Pro. I wanted the green. :(

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
LOL Interestingly enough it was the first and last time I got a DBrand skin and it was for my nexus 6P.

Not really a fan of skins.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I’ve used them in the past and most were quite good although I’m more of a naked or clear case type but I would buy it specifically for the color combo I want like the black and white scheme.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My Pixel 4a is my first Pixel, my first Android phone is the original Nexus which I still have (it's so tiny).
I am excited over the P6 series (not the glass back). At first I thought the same as you that it's a bit ugly. Now I like to think of it as "distinctive". Sometimes rationalization can be a good thing.

As I stated, "NOT ALL." That mean some will like, some will not, and some will not give a darn one way or another.

Even though I have ridden camels a few times, I still prefer a horse without a hump.
9UcPCy4.gif

But I also learned a long time ago never to say never. That hump looks a lot larger than 0.098, as someone stated, but to me the photos either show it as larger or make it look larger by the angle of the shot. But I can positively say, this is one phone I would have to say I would need to see actually in person; whereas, I have not personally held a phone before purchasing via the net in years.

But for now, I'll stick with a working 4XL, with a glass back that has taken some hits on the ground with only a thin see through case, and no breaks.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I love the look of the 6/Pro. I think it looks distinctive and the hump is much series than those on other phones. I can't justify buying one right now but I will be watching this space avidly for those that do buy it.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
As I stated, "NOT ALL." That mean some will like, some will not, and some will not give a darn one way or another.

Even though I have ridden camels a few times, I still prefer a horse without a hump.
9UcPCy4.gif

But I also learned a long time ago never to say never. That hump looks a lot larger than 0.098, as someone stated, but to me the photos either show it as larger or make it look larger by the angle of the shot. But I can positively say, this is one phone I would have to say I would need to see actually in person; whereas, I have not personally held a phone before purchasing via the net in years.

But for now, I'll stick with a working 4XL, with a glass back that has taken some hits on the ground with only a thin see through case, and no breaks.
In his video Marques states that in holding the actual phone the camera bar is better looking than in the renders. I hope so. Even if it's not getting a cutting edge evolution Pixel will be worth it considering I look at the front a lot more than the back.
https://youtu.be/7hEPj13PUGc

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I love the look of the 6/Pro. I think it looks distinctive and the hump is much series than those on other phones. I can't justify buying one right now but I will be watching this space avidly for those that do buy it.
When my wife and I went from our Blackberry phones to the Pixel 4a I thought I would be using it for a long time. The following Pixels just didn't justify a change of mind or cost.
The new Pixel specific Tensor chip and the major improvement of the camera sensors of the 6 series is a siren song to which I'll succumb.
I'm weak. Weak as water.

Last edited:

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I'm waiting for Black Friday. I never order the first batch of new hardware anyway. Enjoy it a month or so before me lol
The last couple years, Google BF discounts have been minimal. $50 at best. That ship has sailed. Carriers may do better but that usually involves trade-ins at inflated prices and/or monthly bill credits. Either way, the carrier has locked you in for a couple years. No bueno. Still, if your heart is set on one of the 6's, you will get some discount. I got my P5 last year on BF.

I would probably pass on the P6 anyways since the P5 is still great and the battery looks like it will easily last 2-3 years. For me, the P6 pro is way to big and the price will be shocking. I'm thinking at least $999. The smaller P6 will also be too expensive, $899 I'm guessing, and looks to be too tall for me. Not liking this trend. I also don't like that G is downgrading the camera from the Pro. Didn't do that last year with the P4a5G.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree! I won't buy one but I will definitely hang around the Pixel 6 sub-forums and see what the new toy is like!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The last couple years, Google BF discounts have been minimal. $50 at best. That ship has sailed. Carriers may do better but that usually involves trade-ins at inflated prices and/or monthly bill credits. Either way, the carrier has locked you in for a couple years. No bueno. Still, if your heart is set on one of the 6's, you will get some discount. I got my P5 last year on BF.

I would probably pass on the P6 anyways since the P5 is still great and the battery looks like it will easily last 2-3 years. For me, the P6 pro is way to big and the price will be shocking. I'm thinking at least $999. The smaller P6 will also be too expensive, $899 I'm guessing, and looks to be too tall for me. Not liking this trend. I also don't like that G is downgrading the camera from the Pro. Didn't do that last year with the P4a5G.

I don’t get the carrier argument especially today with T-Mobile at least. The only obligation you have to them is if you lease phones like myself but even then you can pay the cost of the phone off at any time and leave. Plus I haven’t had any problems with service or getting whatever phone I want and I can get a new phone after paying 50% of the cost of the phone. I just don’t see much loss in that system as a consumer.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
When my wife and I went from our Blackberry phones to the Pixel 4a I thought I would be using it for a long time. The following Pixels just didn't justify a change of mind or cost.
The new Pixel specific Tensor chip and the major improvement of the camera sensors of the 6 series is a siren song to which I'll succumb.
I'm weak. Weak as water.

Lol water can be strong and powerful too.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I got $300 off on my 4xl around Black Friday 2 years ago. Bought it from Best Buy and it did not involve any trade in or bill credits. I'm paying it off over 24 months on Verizon but I'm free to pay the balance and upgrade at any time. I'll be waiting again for BF this year.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Interesting seeing all the different perspectives on the full width camera bar.

There's no 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to aesthetics, of course. Personally, if a phone is going to have to have an extrusion for the camera array, I like the Pixel 6/Pro solution much more than the rectangle bump as featured on the prior Pixels and pretty much everything else out there for two reasons. First (and this is personal preference) it is symmetrical; second, it won't have side wobble (or at least not to the degree that a rectangular bump does) when lain flat on a table. Of course, I'd put a case on it just as I would on any other premium phone, so that might not be an issue, but were I inclined to go caseless, that would seem to be a perk.

Given that the now-current (but to re replaced before Google's launch) iPhone 12 Pro Max starts from $1099, I don't expect Google to go any higher, even though the S21 Ultra started from $1199 (before its instantaneous discounts). Google likely has pricing in mind, but might adjust a bit one way or the other pending the disclosures of Apple's and Samsung's new models.

At $999 for a Pro I wouldn't blink an eye. Is it overpriced? Absolutely - just like every other flagship. Very, very few people legitimately need a flagship. But it's looking like it could be the Pixel I've always wanted, and despite the public dissent, I've been pleased with every model I've owned (XL/2XL/3XL), so I'm willing to take that chance. If it comes in at $1099, which is what I'm anticipating, I'll need a little extra convincing on the benefits side. Anything north of that and I won't say I absolutely won't buy it, but it's going to have to shatter everyone's preconceptions that Google can't hold big secrets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy