Google Pixel 6/Pro - just over the horizon?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You appear to be sold, heck you appear to be in love with it. COOL! However, how I judge a phone for my personal use is of no concern of others.

I think it is fugly looking; however, that is subjective, others love it...cool, buy it. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANYONE PURCHASING THIS PHONE OR ANY PHONE, BUT I SO FAR, I HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I WANT ABOUT IT AS SOME DO FOR IT.

But considering when it will be released, the drive to hold one is probably not high on my list of things to do for a phone.

Besides, the looks and feel, it is an untried chip on a very expensive phone.

So, have fun with your knew phone when it comes out and hopefully, it works for you.

As for me, I also have better things to do than discuss a phone I'm most likely never to purchase. So, I'll move on; no use continue a debate.....I HATE THE LOOKS OF THAT PHONE.................PERIOD! LIVE WITH IT!

C'mon, quit pussyfooting around and tell us how you really feel :p

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You appear to be sold, heck you appear to be in love with it. COOL! However, how I judge a phone for my personal use is of no concern of others.

I think it is fugly looking; however, that is subjective, others love it...cool, buy it. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANYONE PURCHASING THIS PHONE OR ANY PHONE, BUT I SO FAR, I HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I WANT ABOUT IT AS SOME DO FOR IT.

But considering when it will be released, the drive to hold one is probably not high on my list of things to do for a phone.

Besides, the looks and feel, it is an untried chip on a very expensive phone.

So, have fun with your knew phone when it comes out and hopefully, it works for you.

As for me, I also have better things to do than discuss a phone I'm most likely never to purchase. So, I'll move on; no use continue a debate.....I HATE THE LOOKS OF THAT PHONE.................PERIOD! LIVE WITH IT!

It certainly wasn't my intent to trigger you into a rage - I was just providing information you self-reportedly did not have and voiced a desire that you did. By the way, with all due respect, when you voice your opinion of a product in a forum post dedicated to its discussion you pretty much forego the right to object to people iterating on it.

But I'm highly confused by your response - in your earlier comment, you said:

Looking better is very subjective and looks don't overcome a "hump." I actually like the looks of a horizontal camera bar; one reason why I liked the S10 compared to the newer S20 series. However, this hump "looks" like it sticks out a good distance. But no measurements for exactness.
(Emphasis added)

Then you go on to say here:

I HATE THE LOOKS OF THAT PHONE.................PERIOD!

When you say you like the look of the camera bar, and that it "doesn't overcome a 'hump'," it very strongly implies that you do like the look of the phone, and the issue you have it lies with the hump. Then you go on to lament that the reviewer didn't measure the hump. In response, I provided you the rumored hump depth, along with that of a couple of what are going to be its close competitors - one of which you can go and 'feel' today - sincerely figuring you might appreciate that information.

Nobody's denying you your right to your opinion, or suggesting that your opinion isn't right for you, but when you go on a forum and say 'I wish I knew _____' and someone responds in an effort to provide you that information and relevant context, candidly, it's in poor form to blast them for it.

At any rate, the driving point of my post was that it is often an error to prejudge a phone's feel and ergonomics before you've even had a chance to see a 'live' unit, much less feel it. Nobody says you have to, but if the only thing that is making you want to not include it in a selection of phones for consideration in replacing your current phone is your uncertainty over the hump, the only person to whom you'll be doing a disservice by exercising that prejudice as a reason not to even look at it is yourself.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Going from my Note9 to Pixel 6 pro what would I gain?

Besides the sPen what would I lose?

I've never been tempted by Pixel before but Samsung really has nothing new for me, LG is going under, can't have Huawei in USA SO Pixel 6 pro looks interesting.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Going from my Note9 to Pixel 6 pro what would I gain?

Besides the sPen what would I lose?

I've never been tempted by Pixel before but Samsung really has nothing new for me, LG is going under, can't have Huawei in USA SO Pixel 6 pro looks interesting.

Below would be some highlights based on assumption leaks are correct:

• Pixel 6 Pro would be 0.3" larger screen with thinner bezels in a body that is slightly taller, but slightly narrower
  • Tougher screen (GG Victus vs GG 5)
  • noticeably faster processor all around, likely dramatically so in certain tasks
  • 12GB RAM vs 6GB
  • Loss of microSD card slot
  • Android 12, with the likely promise of updates through to at least Android 16 (vs probably seeing 12 as the final update on the 9)
  • 20% larger battery (5000mAh vs 4000mAh) on a chipset likely to be far more efficient as well
  • 50MP vs 12MP main camera, 48MP telephoto vs 12MP, and a 12MP UW camera. But most importantly Google's camera software (especially now that it will apply to video)
  • 5G on all bands (including mm-wave)
  • Loss of headphone jack
  • newer Bluetooth (likely 5.2), addition of WiFi 6
  • much, much, much less bloat - which you'll either enjoy or, if not, you can always replace

That's a few highlights. Though to be fair, specs on any new flagship is going to walk all over specs of a 2 year old phone. Well, to really be fair, this is the first time Google can really say that - but at least now they can.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the 512 8gb model so 12 gb is still an improvement.

Does Pixel have wireless charger?

Does Pixel have 120 hz display?

I don't need sd card slot as long as it has 512gb.

Camera should be a big plus.

Anyone know anything about the speakers? I like loud speakers on phone.

I'm anxious to see one.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to join in this discussion as I've, got a very good running Note 9, am open to this Pixel 6 Pro, need to see, hear, read more about the quality of the design, quality of phone reception, clearness and crispness of the display screen, the operating speed of the new chip design. There's a lot of initial focus on the camera, but for me, it's not the reason I'd buy this phone. With the Samsung Notes, I've always gotten first class designs, great displays, call clarity, very good support, reliability. Most folks look for camera, for selfies, for social media. Me... it's for communication... first! This could be my first Pixel phone... but like many others, gotta know more. I want to go more years with OS Updates and security updates. Was about to pull the trigger on a Note 20 Ultra for 749.00, no longer is that price being offered. If it drops back down, might jump on one. But... only two more years of OS Updates. This is why the Pixel 6 Pro is appealing, at least at this stage. Plus, if I get the Pixel, I can buy it outright, and keep my Note 9 as a backup or use it as a second phone.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to join in this discussion as I've, got a very good running Note 9, am open to this Pixel 6 Pro, need to see, hear, read more about the quality of the design, quality of phone reception, clearness and crispness of the display screen, the operating speed of the new chip design. There's a lot of initial focus on the camera, but for me, it's not the reason I'd buy this phone. With the Samsung Notes, I've always gotten first class designs, great displays, call clarity, very good support, reliability. Most folks look for camera, for selfies, for social media. Me... it's for communication... first! This could be my first Pixel phone... but like many others, gotta know more. I want to go more years with OS Updates and security updates. Was about to pull the trigger on a Note 20 Ultra for 749.00, no longer is that price being offered. If it drops back down, might jump on one. But... only two more years of OS Updates. This is why the Pixel 6 Pro is appealing, at least at this stage. Plus, if I get the Pixel, I can buy it outright, and keep my Note 9 as a backup or use it as a second phone.

I like you’re thinking and welcome. I’m looking to hear more and more as well and I’m pretty certain we’ll be getting camera samples before the official launch. Camera is almost top of my list when it comes to phones.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the 512 8gb model so 12 gb is still an improvement.

Does Pixel have wireless charger?

Does Pixel have 120 hz display?

I don't need sd card slot as long as it has 512gb.

Camera should be a big plus.

Anyone know anything about the speakers? I like loud speakers on phone.

I'm anxious to see one.

It should, as the last several generations have. It's likely to also continue to support reverse wireless charging (so you can (slowly) charge another device (really only best for a smartwatch or earbuds) directly from the device). It's also been rumored that Google will offer faster wireless charging than has been offered with the past few versions.

The Pro model should have a 120hz display; the 'normal' model should have a 90hz display.

As to storage, reports are a bit scattered. Base storage will likely be 128GB, but there's conjecture upper storage models will go up to as high as 512GB. Worth noting that while it won't support MicroSD, it will work with USB OTG, so you can get a very compact USB-C flash drive for 'temporary' expansion. I have a 128GB drive about 1" long with USB on one side, USB-C on the other, very convenient - but obviously not as good, secure, or reliable as larger internal storage.

Camera should be a HUGE plus

It looks like they're returning to 'conventional' dual speakers from their brief experiment with an under-display speaker on the Pixel 5.

Any modern flagship will offer a lot or all of these upgrades to one degree or another, and possibly more - hopefully we're only about 6-7 weeks away from finding out!

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Very tempted to finally move from my Note 9 to the P6 as well. This would be my first Pixel phone, as I have always had Notes and S phones.

Hate losing the SD card and headphone jack, but I suppose I'll adapt.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am skipping the Flip 3 and Fold 3 this year and waiting for the Pixel 6 Pro. I can't wait....is it October yet?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Very tempted to finally move from my Note 9 to the P6 as well. This would be my first Pixel phone, as I have always had Notes and S phones.

Hate losing the SD card and headphone jack, but I suppose I'll adapt.

You will not be disappointed if you switch to Pixel! I had an S19 after my Pixel 2 and though I LOVED my S10, upgrading to the Pixel 5 has felt like a breath of fresh air.

Also, the headphone jack thing is weird. I love having it but when I don't have it, I'm okay. Even with my S10, I ended up switching to Bluetooth headphones and never looked back. Have you considered buying Google headphones? I'm still thinking about that too.

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
You will not be disappointed if you switch to Pixel! I had an S19 after my Pixel 2 and though I LOVED my S10, upgrading to the Pixel 5 has felt like a breath of fresh air.

Also, the headphone jack thing is weird. I love having it but when I don't have it, I'm okay. Even with my S10, I ended up switching to Bluetooth headphones and never looked back. Have you considered buying Google headphones? I'm still thinking about that too.
I usually hook my in ear monitors for performing up to my Note and love using those. I may end up just buying a dongle and be just fine.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I usually hook my in ear monitors for performing up to my Note and love using those. I may end up just buying a dongle and be just fine.

Good plan! Ah yes, I love dongles! I really relied on that with my Pixel 2. That was back in my no-Bluetooth days. Still have that dongle somewhere.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I know my 2xl came with a dongle but I thought they ditched that with the 4. I seem to remember keeping the 2's dongle when I sold it because I needed it for my 4xl.