Gorilla Glass ain't all its "cracked up" to be

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Heading to work today, and when I went to put my Fascinate in my pocket I missed, and dropped it in the parking lot. This was a simple drop from waist level, nothing fancy. And when I picked it up, I noticed a ding in the bottom right corner of the screen. I couldn't tell for sure if it was actually into the glass or just a mark on the Phantom Skinz.

The day went on and just like a car windshield, that little ding turned into a full on crack. The glass is split all the way through, no mistaking it. I'm a bit surprised that the "Gorilla Glass" broke this easily, since I've done that same sort of thing before and never had any damage like this.

The depressing part is that Verizon says my only option is to hit the insurance, and pay a $100 deductible. I realize that this phone's retail cost is like 50 billion dollars, but still I only paid $50 for the phone when I got it and $100 sucks right now.

I could just live with it. Sad day for me and my Fascinate...:'(

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You could order a replacement screen for around $85-95 and fix it yourself, but the insurance user probably your easiest option.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I replaced a screen on one of our four SFs. It's a PITA to do right, but it can be done. Gorilla glass is more fragile than most folks appreciate, but happily most never find out. :D

etmarcr

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong (a very good possibility), but isn't Gorilla Glass rated for it's hardness (resistance to being scratched) and not because it's shatterproof? A very hard substance can still be brittle. Like ceramic, for example.

tspderek

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
that's why I bought both my phone and my wife's at best buy. we pay 10 bucks a month for no deductible cover everything but loss or theft insurance. we have an autistic 3 year old so one assumes delicate pieces of glass will be broken more than once. two weeks and I have a crack already.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
You buy a new warranty for that one. And once you buy a warranty, they give you 20 and 30% coupons off...

At 10 bucks a month, if you don't make a claim, square trade is cheaper after 10 months.

Keeping in mind....after a year these phones will go for about half what they do on the open market.

And squaretrade will either get you a new phone or give you the retail cash equivalent up to $600.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397