Got tired of the non-stop T-Mobile KK update reminders so....

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I accepted the KitKat update for my Note 3 (T-Mobile - SM-N900T), rooted, flashed custom recovery, wiped phone, and installed the Infamous NB4 4.4.2 HLTETMO ROM, RC 3.5.

I have done a good bit of research since the first reports of trouble with the Note 3 KitKat update were first posted. Mind you - I wasn't having any major issues with ver. 4.3 JB, just a few minor annoyances. The unbearable issue began when T-Mobile began pushing the software update. A call to T-Mobile confirmed what I suspected: there was no way to stop the persistent, full screen interruptions reminder for the KK update.

The custom ROM that seemed to be the best fit for me was the Infamous NB4 4.4.2 HLTETMO ROM, RC 3.5 (search xda-developers . com for [ROM] INFAMOUS | NB4 4.4.2 | HLTETMO | RC 3.5 | May 11, 2014 if interested) with the Bioshock 5.5 non-overclocked kernel. My reason for picking this ROM were pretty simple: all hardware functions as intended, WiFi calling and free tethering work as intended, and ROM is completely stable (use the provided stock Infamous kernel if you use screen mirroring - the Bioshock kernel, like all custom kernels, does not support screen mirroring).

I flash installed only two additional files:

*The 'WiFi_fix_rc25.zip' linked with the Infamous ROM. This Edit fixes the intermittent WiFi connection dropouts some have reported after updating to KitKat (can happen here as well - did for me - this fix resolved the issue and WiFi reception is now a bit better than with JB 4.3).

*The 'tmo_kk_extsd_fix.zip' posted in a separate thread on xda-developers . com forum (search [FIX] TMO N900TUVUCNB4 External SD Card Write FIX at that forum if interested). This is a work-around of the SD card write restrictions introduced with KitKat. It allows free write access to the external SD card.

Basically this ROM looks, feels, and behaves like the stock T-Mobile 4.4.2 KitKat OS save for the Infamous ROM's increased battery life, improved mobile radio reception, lack of 'bloatware', snappy UI performance (I'm running the Bioshock kernel and Nova Launcher Prime), and the impressive list of included useful apps and system utilities. My favorite and most often used of these is the bundled 'Pen Window Manager' which allows you to use the Samsung Pen Window feature to open any app in a floating and resize-able window.

All this to say that my Note 3 has never before performed as well as it does now with the Infamous ROM! I'd estimate battery life is approximately 25% longer now. It even resolved any/all of the minor annoyances I'd put up with when running JB 4.3. I couldn't be more pleased! Doing this did trip the Knox warranty bit. I am personally not concerned though. This phone (hardware) has been rock stable so I've no expectation of ever using the warranty (I repair phones as a hobby of sorts so I can fix it if I break it).

For those interested and with no prior experience rooting this or any phone search Google for 'How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T 4.4.2 KitKat Update' and select the 'galaxynote3update . com' site. The walkthrough on this page shouldn't be any problem (I found this link in a search for the extsd_fix workaround zip file and verified the entire walkthrough by going through it with my Note 3).

Standard disclaimer: it is possible to 'brick' your phone when making such modifications. I'm not affiliated with any of the developers whose work is referenced in this thread and I'm not liable in any way should one brick their phone while installing any of the referenced work here. I'm merely sharing that which others shared with me. As indicated above modifying the Note 3's OS will flip a bit that effectively voids the manufacture and carrier warranties. Proceed at your own risk.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm very curious. Why do you call the "NB4 4.4.2 HLTETMO ROM" "Infamous." Infamous actually means a very destructive nature. Is "Infamous" a trade name or term in this use?

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm very curious. Why do you call the "NB4 4.4.2 HLTETMO ROM" "Infamous." Infamous actually means a very destructive nature. Is "Infamous" a trade name or term in this use?

Infamous is the developers name under which he posts his work on xda-developers.com. The full string (NB4 442...etc) was posted as a xda-developers search criteria to make finding it easier for those interested.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Infamous is the developers name under which he posts his work on xda-developers.com. The full string (NB4 442...etc) was posted as a xda-developers search criteria to make finding it easier for those interested.

I did not know that. Thanks.

I am an Android user, (Nexus 7 1st and 2nd gen.) and am new to the Android world but no newbie to handheld devices. I own five tablets and two Blackberrys. As my business matures, I am finding that tablets serve me better than phones. I use Text+ on my Nexus 7 so I can make calls and never need a contract. My minutes, $0.02/minute, never expire and are renewable at any time, so I have the ability and knowledge to deal with any situation, my business being the foremost in the equation.

I'm purchasing the Note 3 in a week or two, as soon as I have the time to take a day to get it and set it up, update, etc.

Thanks for the info, Deaj. I need as much as I can find, considering my next move.

God bless,
Kelly J.