HELP - AT&T Mobile Insurance vs. Geek Squad vs. Squaretrade

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
I've always had insurance through AT&T on all my phones, but after seeing the deductible for a S9+ through them would be 225 dollars (though it goes down after 6 months and 12 months without any approved claims, but even then it's $112), I started looking around. I know Geek Squad has a plan that's been helpful to me in the past for items that weren't phones (my XBOX 360), but after reviewing some older posts around here, it seems like most people think both those plans are overpriced and borderline scams. Instead I see a lot of people recommend SquareTrade, plus the deductibles are much lower and the cost of the insurance is comparable (unless someone can find me a working coupon code).

Anyway, I've never had a phone lost or stolen, it's always with me, but I've had several drops/screen damage/malfunctions that I'm more concerned about. Plus, I want to make sure that if I do have to get a replacement phone, that in 30 months when my att Next is over I can still trade in the replacement for a new phone then.

Any thoughts or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I just got a Samsung S9+ and changed my plan from best buy geeksquad to AT&T after comparing the statements about what they cover. I think AT&T is more clear compared to best buy. Best buy uses the statement normal wear and tear. That is subjective and is what ever they might say it is. The costs reflect that these devices are both vulnerable/fragile and costly to repair. Mid range devices may be more durable.

Madam ImAdam

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
pay your monthly bill with an Uber visa card, it includes free insurance that covers up to $600 per device with a $25 deductible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've used SquareTrade for a number of devices, and have made claims on a couple of them. Excellent service with quick turnaround times. I recently had to send my wife's Pixel in for a cracked screen, and it came back in 2 days, with the deductible being $75. Flawless repair, too.

Be aware, though, that SquareTrade only covers damage, not theft/loss. However, if the phone does get lost or stolen, they'll refund you the amount you paid for your SquareTrade plan on a prorated basis: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....squaretrade.com%2Ffaq%2Ffac-1&token=WWe7JLDD