[HOW-TO] Flashable Zip: Install Honeycomb to Internal Memory (eMMC) of Nook Color

smiley4017

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who worked on this, especially Deeper-Blue. This is a joy to use. File explorer will not see root, but Titanium back does, both I purchased. Youtube will load but will not play videos, wi-fi syncr works, but my video podcasts are to jerky to view, I tried rockplayer and act 1 video player. Angry Birds does not install either.
We're getting there. This is the first Tablet that is out that is running Honeycomb. Wow.. This is amazing.
Smiley

dsa157

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I verified that the mds checksum was correct. I see that the zip file installed properly according to the CW prompts. Whenever I reboot I hang at the "ANDROID_" cursor also.

I wanted to try the adb steps, but I am stuck waiting on the data file from FileFactory (no one seems to be seeding the torrent right now)

Any ideas why the zip installation process is failing for me (as it seemed to for several other folks)?

Thanks in advance and thanks to Will for great work!

Dave

This morning I tried using the adb shell installation method rather than the flashable installation. After copying the OCBoot image, system and data images, end then rebooting, I still end up at the same place - stuck at the "ANDROID_" prompt.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Dave

Ktrout

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb NC bug report

Thank you to everyone who worked on this, especially Deeper-Blue. This is a joy to use. File explorer will not see root, but Titanium back does, both I purchased. Youtube will load but will not play videos, wi-fi syncr works, but my video podcasts are to jerky to view, I tried rockplayer and act 1 video player. Angry Birds does not install either.
We're getting there. This is the first Tablet that is out that is running Honeycomb. Wow.. This is amazing.
Smiley

Again, thanks to everyone who worked on this! I am truly amazed by this community. I dove in head first last night and now have Honeycomb running on my NC. It is very usable, but I'm seeing some of these same nagging issues that I don't have the answers to. Just thought I'd list them here so the community can be aware of them, too.

I followed the directions in the OP and they worked perfectly. Now that I've been using it for a few hours, here are the bugs I've found:

1) Market only seems to install apps when it wants to. No rhyme or reason to it. I often get "Installation error: Insufficient storage available." popups when trying to install apps from the Market (e.g. Angry Birds "error -18", Classic Tetris). I can't seem to find any way around this.

2) Video playback is spotty at best. Both Rockplayer and Act I install, but Rockplayer just fades away every time I select a video and Act I reports an unknown video error most of the time, but not every time. (error# 1, -2147483648) This happens with mkv and mp4. MP4 files have been confirmed to work on stock, non-root NC.

3) YouTube, though installed, is also hit and miss, mostly miss.

4) Music player works but lacks the fancy ui displayed by Google in their presentation (i.e. no coverflow-ish behavior).

5) Subsonic music streamer installs, but something isn't working since it won't let me access my server (which does work from EVO, desktop, etc.)

6) LogMeIn Ignition DOES install, load, allow login and remote viewing, but is also very buggy and nearly unusable.

7) Wishlist: in addition to the above, I can't find/don't have the Gmail/GCal widgets. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Once more, I am so thankful for all the hard work you are all doing to make this a reality! I'm no dev, just a power user who wants to help.

Keep up the good work!

Edit: forgot to mention the dimensions in Portrait mode. Landscape lays out fine, but when you rotate back to portrait, you lose a chunk (50ish pixels?) of the right side of the screen. Notifications popup is effected, as well as icon placement. FYI.

Last edited:
Reactions: duytienle

oneman

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have tried to follow the directions exactly three times (Not all commands are the same as stated). It looks like it works but after selecting "reboot your device" it reboots back to CW with the SDcard in or out. What am I doing wrong? Thanks ahead of time!

Uninstalled CW and it works!

Last edited:

gark84

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, thanks to everyone who worked on this! I am truly amazed by this community. I dove in head first last night and now have Honeycomb running on my NC. It is very usable, but I'm seeing some of these same nagging issues that I don't have the answers to. Just thought I'd list them here so the community can be aware of them, too.

I followed the directions in the OP and they worked perfectly. Now that I've been using it for a few hours, here are the bugs I've found:

1) Market only seems to install apps when it wants to. No rhyme or reason to it. I often get "Installation error: Insufficient storage available." popups when trying to install apps from the Market (e.g. Angry Birds "error -18", Classic Tetris). I can't seem to find any way around this.

2) Video playback is spotty at best. Both Rockplayer and Act I install, but Rockplayer just fades away every time I select a video and Act I reports an unknown video error most of the time, but not every time. (error# 1, -2147483648) This happens with mkv and mp4. MP4 files have been confirmed to work on stock, non-root NC.

3) YouTube, though installed, is also hit and miss, mostly miss.

4) Music player works but lacks the fancy ui displayed by Google in their presentation (i.e. no coverflow-ish behavior).

5) Subsonic music streamer installs, but something isn't working since it won't let me access my server (which does work from EVO, desktop, etc.)

6) LogMeIn Ignition DOES install, load, allow login and remote viewing, but is also very buggy and nearly unusable.

7) Wishlist: in addition to the above, I can't find/don't have the Gmail/GCal widgets. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Once more, I am so thankful for all the hard work you are all doing to make this a reality! I'm no dev, just a power user who wants to help.

Keep up the good work!

Edit: forgot to mention the dimensions in Portrait mode. Landscape lays out fine, but when you rotate back to portrait, you lose a chunk (50ish pixels?) of the right side of the screen. Notifications popup is effected, as well as icon placement. FYI.

Hello again, so I have found a method of installing apps that seems to work fairly well. The problem is that NC market seems to only install apps on random times and most of the time it does not work.

What I did was to use the NC browser and manually look up the apk.file and download it directly to NC using the NC browser. Once it download completes, I clicked on the icon stating that the file was dl I was able to install the app. Hope this works for you too.

-gark

ftumph

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently trying Honeycomb off the SD card (8 Gb, class 4). It's awesome, but slow. How is performance off the internal memory by comparison?

Ktrout

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Figured out how to install apps

I found a solution to my Market issues: remove the microSD card and reboot. After the reboot, go back to Android Market and install any app you were previously unable to get loaded. Then, re-insert the microSD card and reboot. This seems to be a widely known solution to the "unknown error -18" problem. It worked for me in getting Angry Birds and Classic Tetris installed, as well as some other APKs I was having issues with. Angry Birds works well, but every Tetris/Solitaire/SameGame I've found is tiny on this fantastic screen, to the point of pointlessness.

Gorilla72: I installed to eMMC (internal memory) using the image from OP and I have root access. Double check yours with Astro or something of that nature.

My clock is also incorrect if you use the "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" settings. If I uncheck those and set the time manually, it is still off by 12 hours. So, since it is now 12:27 AM, I had to set it manually to 12:27 PM, save it, and it then appears as 12:27 AM. AT least it is functional now.

Thanks again!

Wishlist: Fix for the portrait pixel loss (lopping off right side of screen), auto clock fix, Gmail/Gcal widgets, video playback, other full feature fanciness.

kronium

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Does any know how to manually set the market to US? It seems that this hacked version is canadian or something. Some apps like Need For Speed won't download additional SD content because the region purchased(US on my EVO) doesn't match the market region. Thanks

dsa157

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This morning I tried using the adb shell installation method rather than the flashable installation. After copying the OCBoot image, system and data images, end then rebooting, I still end up at the same place - stuck at the "ANDROID_" prompt.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Dave

*** SOLVED ***

OK, answering my own question for anyone stuck with this problem:

If you have this issue, you can't use the v4 EMMC Flashable ZIP file because it appears that the overclocked boot image is the problem. When I used the adb install the second time, I used the regular 800 MHz boot img along with the system and data images provided.

After that install, everything loaded into Honeycomb just fine.

Thanks again to all the developers doing such a great job on the Nook Color!

Dave

bravebull

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello, thanks for the flash version of v4 of Honeycomb. I'm just curious, are you guys installing market abs via ADB or direct downloads? I installed HC today on my nook and I was only able to download one app and that was quadrant. (1547 by the way awesome NC)

I am tying to download other apps available of the market but when I push "ok" to enable the download a pop up appears stating "you item will be downloaded" the app will then start the process of being downloaded and then just disappear like nothing happened and the app is not being loaded. Bottom line I can't DL apps. Got any ideas?

I know this might not be the right place but this is the only thread i've read that has a direct flash based HC. Any help would be appreciated

I had the same problems when I installed Honeycomb into internal memory, but then I followed the instruction in the post for downloading Honeycomb into internal memory. It says:
* If you have problems downloading from the Market, under Settings, go to Applications>Manage Applications>Google Services Framework - and choose wipe data and force stop. Still under Manage Applications, choose Market, and force stop. Then reboot and see if it works.

This took care of it for me. The apps that would not install are now installed. Many thanks to Will Shanklin and Deeper Blue. You guys rock!

EvoUserXXX

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Just got my nook color. Just had a two questions before diving in.

Around when will the full honeycomb be available, because if it's real soon I would probably wait since I suck at these types of things.

Next question is which is better to do. Internal or sd card? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each? I'm assuming internal runs faster but sd card provides more space..

Also does the firmware my nook has important? I have model BNRV200, software 1.0.1.

Thanks alot for your help. Would like to get into motion if my plan is to start today according to the responses. Tons of respect and appreciation will.

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
You can goto barnes and noble website and download the update, put it on your micro sd card and according to them it should install by itself. I could never get it to work. The nook is also suppose to detect there is an update and download but again did not happen. Tech supports lame ass answer was goto a barnes and noble store and get it from there. Now what you can do it install nooter 2.5 and download rom manager and install clockworkmod from rom manager. In clockworkmod install the update from BN you placed on the sd card. You can then install nooter 3.0. I know it is a long way around but if the nook won't update the other way it was easier than driving to a BN store.

What I did find is when I placed the update on the sd card and then unmounted the sd card the update was gone from the card not for sure why but it was. I found a website that had the update as a different name and the same instructions. When you install nooter the screen will go blank. What I did was give it about a minute or two and then turned it off and then back on. You will have hold the Pwr button down for about 10-20 seconds. When 2.5 installs you should get a boot up screen w/ nook color spelled out in different colors and for 3.0 it will be android w/ a blue back ground.

Reactions: jdilla420

EvoUserXXX

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
OK I am installing 1.1, now if I get nooter 3.0.0 what exactly is this? is this froyo on the nook? Can I install nooter 3.0 and then install honeycomb when the full version is available?

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So the flashable zip is not rooted correct? I can use the instructions to root it myself or re install with the other method correct?