I am done with curved screens

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Done. I can't find a perfect case for this phone, nor a perfect screen protector. I am just frustrated. It probably means I will have to forego the Note line but... Hauwei made an almost perfect phone now. Mate 10 pro. The display is a disgrace but I believe they will learn from it. Here is hoping for a better phone future.
There are an abundance of cases out there that will fit your needs. You can even opt for a skin to protect your phone. Regards to a screen protector, get yourself a Whitestone Dome screen protector and be done with it.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope, not buying it.

Basic physics says this is impossible or, at best, highly misleading.

Notice how there were no other test shown for the Liquid Glass, just one where it supposedly broke at 9' 4". Nope not buying it either. Heard as well the protection only lasts like 6 months anyway if that.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Personally I don't like curved screens and prefer flat screen as well but I haven't used screen protectors on any of my devices for years now and couldn't be more happier. I just love the feel of the glass without any additional layers on the screen.
As far as for case I don't understand, there are many cases for the note 8 with raised lips and good protection. Not sure what kind of case are you looking for.

If you had actually read the thread, kirksucks explained it perfectlly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You should have insurance for a 1k phone.

For a $1k phone, I'd rather expect them to make it durable enough to not have to handle with kid gloves. I can understand insurance for loss/theft, but you shouldn't need it to cover what amounts to normal use.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
LOVE my Whitestone Dome protector. Installed it myself the day my phone arrived (in September) and it's still flawless. I have a minimal case on the phone, have dropped it face down a couple times and it came out unscathed. I'm using the Samsung Alcantara case.

I guess I'm in the minority, as I love the curved edges. But I also used and loved the Galaxy Note Edge for 3 years.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For a $1k phone, I'd rather expect them to make it durable enough to not have to handle with kid gloves. I can understand insurance for loss/theft, but you shouldn't need it to cover what amounts to normal use.
I don't think dropping your phone on the ground constitutes "normal use"

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I gave up on screen protectors for this phone. I went and purchased a few but they didn't stick because of the curved sides. Been using it without one ever since. There are a few good cases out there but alot of them just add so much Bulk to the phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anything handheld is going to be at risk for drops, and manufacturers know this. It use to not be a problem because phones were built sturdy and could withstand them much better. Now everyone wants the thinnest, most fragile phone out there and then complain about having to use a case or the damages that happen so easily.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I like a curved screen from a purely aesthetic perspective. They just look good to me! Now I'm not talking about a gigantic curve like we saw on early Samsung curved phones, those "Edge" models, but rather the curves they and others do now. A more subtle curve.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Put me in with the group that could and would easily do without the curved edges. I can't tell you how many times my pen has just slipped right off the screen while in use when I'm near the edge. It's annoying. I wouldn't mind a curved body (back) just for the comfort of holding, but give me a flat front screen and I'd be a lot happier.

And I totally agree with what DPEvers64 said about those curved pixels being unusable. They might be great for watching a YouTube video or something but I have other electronics for watching that kind of content...like my iPad or television. The phone would only be for if I'm out and am trying to look at something quickly. But that's just me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You do know manufacturers do test their phones for drops and all that before releasing.. because they do expect people to drop them.