I got an email about my data usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I got an email from Virgin asking about my data usage and they asked if I was using wifi hotspot or tethering my phone.
I replied with I have no idea what that is but I listen to Pandora about 9-10 hours a day and sometimes sleep with Pandora running with my headphones on.
Their reply was oh ok but did not explain what wifi hotspot was or tethering, So I emailed them back and asked what it was and got no response.
So the moral to the story is if you are questioned about data usage play dumb. I used 17 gigs last month.

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
That's kinda funny, seeing that the customer service rep said that I could do whatever I wanted with the data, as long as I wasn't running a server off the phone. I peaked out a 8.4G according to my watchdog. It's my modem for my tablet at work because the internet at work is locked down.

Sent from a rooted SuperPAD clone with Android 2.2 :p

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
You have no proof at all that is why they are jacking up the price.
They were just inquiring about my use and it seems like they don't care.
Why don't you go back over to the xda forums you seem to get along well with them.

I am not going to fight or name call,but is not funny that no one else got an email stating this.I have read on these forums whee people have bricked their phones and got blasted for returning them for new ones,if members here think it is right to use the hotspot exploit to provide internet to your home,then why not bring back a bricked phones in the long run their is no difference.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am not going to fight or name call,but is not funny that no one else got an email stating this.I have read on these forums whee people have bricked their phones and got blasted for returning them for new ones,if members here think it is right to use the hotspot exploit to provide internet to your home,then why not bring back a bricked phones in the long run their is no difference.

I can use my connection any way I want and if they shut me off that is on me.
Nobody has reported they have had service shut off yet the mail I got had no warning they just wanted to know what I was doing.
If you got a message from them asking if your phone was rooted would you tell them? I doubt it.
Do what you want with your bricked phone.
The cost increase is more than likely because of all the other carriers going to tiered data plans and VM expects an influx of customers because of that and want to profit from that and they should.

Maybe I got the email because I am the heaviest user I don't know

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I can use my connection any way I want and if they shut me off that is on me.
Nobody has reported they have had service shut off yet the mail I got had no warning they just wanted to know what I was doing.
If you got a message from them asking if your phone was rooted would you tell them? I doubt it.
Do what you want with your bricked phone.
The cost increase is more than likely because of all the other carriers going to tiered data plans and VM expects an influx of customers because of that and want to profit from that and they should.

the difference they cannot tell if your phone is rooted,unless you return it that way, but they can monitor data use,the email put a red flag up,as for having service suspend, i may have no proof of why the prices went up,but you certainly have no proof that no one has ever been shutdown for this type of use.but then again most people do not brag about how through an exploit they are using 17 GB worth a data month either.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
the difference they cannot tell if your phone is rooted,unless you return it that way, but they can monitor data use,the email put a red flag up,as for having service suspend, i may have no proof of why the prices went up,but you certainly have no proof that no one has ever been shutdown for this type of use.but then again most people do not brag about how through an exploit they are using 17 GB worth a data month either.

I am not really bragging I am just letting people know how much data can be used you among other people have posted that VM has a data cap of around 2.5 to 5 gigs and I am just pointing out that is not true.
I think you are upset because you have slow data on your phone. And want to blame someone when in fact you probably live in an area that has many vm users is the cause.
I live in an area that VM is not as well known and I get speeds of 1.2 to 1.5 Mb downstream that is not my fault. My use would not have any effect on you unless we were on the same tower.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not really bragging I am just letting people know how much data can be used you among other people have posted that VM has a data cap of around 2.5 to 5 gigs and I am just pointing out that is not true.
I think you are upset because you have slow data on your phone. And want to blame someone when in fact you probably live in an area that has many vm users is the cause.
I live in an area that VM is not as well known and I get speeds of 1.2 to 1.5 Mb downstream that is not my fault. My use would not have any effect on you unless we were on the same tower.

Dude i have money and real internet,i am not that cheap, i do need to do this i am pleased with the service, anyway you look at it is an exploit,then can lead to having your service shut down,if they do not care why send an email,do want you want but if you think you cannot have your service shut down or anyone else for that matter you are wrong.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Dude i have money and real internet,i am not that cheap, i do need to do this i am pleased with the service, anyway you look at it is an exploit,then can lead to having your service shut down,if they do not care why send an email,do want you want but if you think you cannot have your service shut down or anyone else for that matter you are wrong.

I never said they wont shut my service off I said I do not think they really care they did not tell me I could not listen to Pandora 24/7 I think they were just curious as to why I was using so much data,
They can't tell if you are tethering, data is data all 1's and 0's and I know what you are going to say AT&T found out about people tethering and what happened there was they sent messages to the heaviest users and were just guessing and people admitted to it.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
You have no proof at all that is why they are jacking up the price.
They were just inquiring about my use and it seems like they don't care.
Why don't you go back over to the xda forums you seem to get along well with them.

Lol thats def why their hiking prices. And if u would have said tethering it would have been a different story. not like us rooting is costing them $$$

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You phone is rooted and VM frowns upon that so you are immoral too?
:-!
Lying about using something is not only immoral but also breaking a agreement.

Simple fact is this you lied to them. Not fibbed but outright lied to them.
Now you are here talking about it. Do you expect us to go ohhh cool story bro?
Not going to happen. Your first mistake was lying to VM, second posting here.
You have made more mistakes since but yeah those to are your biggest.
You know VM/Sprint have people that read here and at XDA?

Threads like this one are red flagged and seeing as how you admitted and even told us what you told them. Well really wouldnt be that hard to narrow down which person they sent a email to. And if you truly are the "only" one would be super easy to see you lied to them and shut you down.

Use your head next time you post.

Reactions: JerryScript

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Lying about using something is not only immoral but also breaking a agreement.

Simple fact is this you lied to them. Not fibbed but outright lied to them.
Now you are here talking about it. Do you expect us to go ohhh cool story bro?
Not going to happen. Your first mistake was lying to VM, second posting here.
You have made more mistakes since but yeah those to are your biggest.
You know VM/Sprint have people that read here and at XDA?

Threads like this one are red flagged and seeing as how you admitted and even told us what you told them. Well really wouldnt be that hard to narrow down which person they sent a email to. And if you truly are the "only" one would be super easy to see you lied to them and shut you down.

Use your head next time you post.

I know we have had are differences in the past but i agree 100% with this statement.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure Lou has already emailed vm with a link to this thread.
I don't think they care.
Over at the VM Facebook page tethering is regularly discussed with instructions on how to do it and VM does not delete the posts they only chime in to say it is against the TOS and do not threaten to cancel accounts over it.
I think it is like rooting they don't like it but knew it would happen using an open source operating system.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure Lou has already emailed vm with a link to this thread.
I don't think they care.
Over at the VM Facebook page tethering is regularly discussed with instructions on how to do it and VM does not delete the posts they only chime in to say it is against the TOS and do not threaten to cancel accounts over it.
I think it is like rooting they don't like it but knew it would happen using an open source operating system.

In a sense i guess, but rooting doesnt *use a mass amount of their data

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure Virgin Mobile as a company has to respond to individual users with extreme data use.

the fact that they sent an email surprises me. In fact, I would assume their first course of action would be to suspend the account above trying to contact you first.

Clearly they do not want you using that much data, regardless if you are paying for "unlimited" you can complain all you want, but they have their finger on the off switch for your service. hahaha.

I would just use the 3G less for whatever you are doing (netflix? torrenting?) becuase its quite obvious they will take further action if you keep this up, you're not going to win anything lol

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure Virgin Mobile as a company has to respond to individual users with extreme data use.

the fact that they sent an email surprises me. In fact, I would assume their first course of action would be to suspend the account above trying to contact you first.

Clearly they do not want you using that much data, regardless if you are paying for "unlimited" you can complain all you want, but they have their finger on the off switch for your service. hahaha.

I would just use the 3G less for whatever you are doing (netflix? torrenting?) becuase its quite obvious they will take further action if you keep this up, you're not going to win anything lol

I have not used any less since the email but I bet the guy with his finger on the off switch is getting tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank