I got an email about my data usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The cost increase is more than likely because of all the other carriers going to tiered data plans and VM expects an influx of customers because of that and want to profit from that and they should.

Maybe I got the email because I am the heaviest user I don't know

Is there a chance that some day there won't be anymore unlimited data plans on any carrier because we use up too much data? Sprint is basically the only major carrier in the US that offers unlimited data plans. What happens when Sprint gets rid of unlimited data?

I'd have to be conservative about my phone use and check my data usage like with AT&t. Then always worried about data caps and expensive overage ripoffs. It's too much for me to handle. Maybe I'm just OCD about it all.

I use Pandora about 12hrs/day and top out at 300mb/day...
Not saying anything but AT&t has a 200MB/month tier and their max tier is 2GB/month.
Aren't we lucky to have unlimited data and not even have to worry about it at all?

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

AQAA

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
And it's people like this that get virgin to block tethering and raise their rates.

Well, not really.

It is within his right to use as much as he wants.
Also they have no right to question what he is doing with the phone, if he pays his bill that is all they should be concerned about.

If they change the policy, then that is a different matter.

I don't think 17 GB is unreasonably at all, if they have network problem then they need to upgrade their network.

I hope everyone here is aware the US is falling so far behind the rest of the world in speed and bandwidth it isn't even funny.

Besides they pay a lot less than us for much better service.

Wake up people, this guy is not the problem, the problem is 100% the lousy service we are given by US Telecoms.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Then you are in the same class as me an immoral data hog that is ruining it for everybody else.

I wouldn't say that. He is using an app that VM allows you to load on the phone and use. You, on the other hand, are violating the terms of service by tethering to a computer and using that as your internet connection at home.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, not really.

It is within his right to use as much as he wants.
Also they have no right to question what he is doing with the phone, if he pays his bill that is all they should be concerned about.

If they change the policy, then that is a different matter.

I don't think 17 GB is unreasonably at all, if they have network problem then they need to upgrade their network.

I hope everyone here is aware the US is falling so far behind the rest of the world in speed and bandwidth it isn't even funny.

Besides they pay a lot less than us for much better service.

Wake up people, this guy is not the problem, the problem is 100% the lousy service we are given by US Telecoms.

This is funny, how about all the users who download copyrighted material and the isp turns them in,and of course they have a right to question what anybody is doing within their network,what about crimes,that is like saying the law has no right to question what your doing in your home,so start selling drugs out of it,and their policy forbids this type of use,if you do not like or agree with the american carriers are ripping people off go live in Europe,these unlimited data plans within a few years will all be gone.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This is one reason rates are going up, however, it's not for the reasons you think.

While they may complain, the truth is, in terms of actual data usage, 17 gigs costs Vm/Sprint well under $3. It costs me that much on the server I rent and they get a much better rate. AT&T however woudl charge you several thousand for that much data.

These companies complaining about high data use are blowing smoke. It may eats into their bottom line, but you are talking pennies per person. The bandwidth is cheap, but they make a fortune on it. It's where they make all of their money.

Now, that doesn't mean one person isn't going to hog a tower, but considering he is averaging over 1meg speeds, clearly the tower has plenty to go around. I'm lucky to hit 1meg most of the time, in fact my upload speeds are often higher than the download speeds.

I'm not saying the OP is right for doing it, sorry, but 17 is excessive, but I'm not going to feel bad for VM either. Two wrongs don;t make a right, unfortunately it;s us who will pay for it.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
More power to you. They shouldn't advertise it as "Unlimited" if they don't want you using more than a quota. How hard is it to do honest advertising? What's great with being on a prepaid plan is that you can easily get a new line if they cut off your account. I have zero sympathy for VM and Sprint. If their networks can't handle the load, they should invest in upgrading their network instead of billing us more. The truth is that they are greedy and their overselling their network. They are like airlines that overbook flights. It should be illegal.

Personally, I use about 8-10 gigs a month, and I haven't gotten an email from VM. I really hope we can get some net neutrality legislation before I have to pay for which websites I visit. It's not an ISP's place to police what I download or how I use the data plan. If I want to use a hotspot, that should be my right so long as I'm not breaking the law. Imagine if your home ISP told you that you can't use a wifi router or that you have to pay more if you want your netflix service to be unblocked.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
More power to you. They shouldn't advertise it as "Unlimited" if they don't want you using more than a quota. How hard is it to do honest advertising? What's great with being on a prepaid plan is that you can easily get a new line if they cut off your account. I have zero sympathy for VM and Sprint. If their networks can't handle the load, they should invest in upgrading their network instead of billing us more. The truth is that they are greedy and their overselling their network. They are like airlines that overbook flights. It should be illegal.

Personally, I use about 8-10 gigs a month, and I haven't gotten an email from VM. I really hope we can get some net neutrality legislation before I have to pay for which websites I visit. It's not an ISP's place to police what I download or how I use the data plan. If I want to use a hotspot, that should be my right so long as I'm not breaking the law. Imagine if your home ISP told you that you can't use a wifi router or that you have to pay more if you want your netflix service to be unblocked.

Unfortunately it is their network which they own and maintain,people crying about what they pay to what they get is not going to change period,if you violate the terms of use or steal the service they have the legal right to come after you,why don't the no it all's here start your own network from the ground up then you can give everybody free Android phones and charge 10 dollars for unlimited everything,because you seem to know what their overhead is,and they have no right to raise rates,why don't some of you link the info to what it costs to own ad maintain a network and hire employees.i am in no way defending corporate greed but also do not come off like the i no everything about how these isp companies base their pricing,or how much their overhead is why not link it,otherwise i view your statements as opinions not facts.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately it is their network which they own and maintain,people crying about what they pay to what they get is not going to change period,if you violate the terms of use or steal the service they have the legal right to come after you,why don't the no it all's here start your own network from the ground up then you can give everybody free Android phones and charge 10 dollars for unlimited everything,because you seem to know what their overhead is,and they have no right to raise rates,why don't some of you link the info to what it costs to own ad maintain a network and hire employees.i am in no way defending corporate greed but also do not come off like the i no everything about how these isp companies base their pricing,or how much their overhead is why not link it,otherwise i view your statements as opinions not facts.

Maybe they shouldn't falsely advertise it as unlimited. I was all set to turn my mobile hotspot into an ISP for the entire neighborhood.

Just because it is against their terms of service doesn't make it legal for them to stop me. The FCC is still working out regulations that they want to impose on ISP's. While ISP's are the ones that the end user gets their internet from, there is a huge global network (most of which was created with US tax dollars) that the ISP's are given the privilege to access in order to sell internet to you. With that access comes responsibilities that the ISP will not take advantage of the consumer. Imagine if your water company could charge whatever it wanted for your water. What are you going to do? Dig your own well? That is how internet access is for a lot of areas. There are no options if you don't like your ISP. That shouldn't give them the right to do as they please especially since they are selling a product that was created with tons and tons of taxpayer dollars. With how essential the internet has gotten for everyday life, net neutrality should be a human right.

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

if you don't know then why "chime in".

Sent from a rooted SuperPAD clone with Android 2.2 :p

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Overhead doesn't go up because one person used an extra 5 gigs. If that is how tight you are running your bandwidth you have serious issues.

I used to lease a T1, run a server and provide local internet access and I currently lease a dedicated server, I know what bandwidth costs. The sad part is that what I paid is WAY higher than Sprint. I had lots of middle men, and Sprint, owns a large portion of the backbone. Actual bandwidth costs them nothing. Obviously this doesn't take into account support and towers.

Bottom line is that bandwidth is a very small part of their operating costs and the one they love blaming for their costs and the one they love charging you for.

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line is that bandwidth is a very small part of their operating costs and the one they love blaming for their costs and the one they love charging you for.

This is similar to what the cable company keeps telling people. HA!

Sent from a rooted SuperPAD clone with Android 2.2 :p

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
This is one reason rates are going up, however, it's not for the reasons you think.

While they may complain, the truth is, in terms of actual data usage, 17 gigs costs Vm/Sprint well under $3. It costs me that much on the server I rent and they get a much better rate. AT&T however woudl charge you several thousand for that much data.

These companies complaining about high data use are blowing smoke. It may eats into their bottom line, but you are talking pennies per person. The bandwidth is cheap, but they make a fortune on it. It's where they make all of their money.

Now, that doesn't mean one person isn't going to hog a tower, but considering he is averaging over 1meg speeds, clearly the tower has plenty to go around. I'm lucky to hit 1meg most of the time, in fact my upload speeds are often higher than the download speeds.

I'm not saying the OP is right for doing it, sorry, but 17 is excessive, but I'm not going to feel bad for VM either. Two wrongs don;t make a right, unfortunately it;s us who will pay for it.

What about everything at AT&T's website AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom ?

AT&T says that the US is using mobile data at an alarming and increasing rate. There's information about how the MHz frequencies are limited are being overloaded. So their best idea is to buy out and get rid of T-Mobile? Next Verizon is going to start complaining on about how their fancy new LTE phones are leeching too much bandwidth and then Sprint will be merged and gone! Sometimes I'd rather have a Straight Talk Walmart Special flip phone than deal with all these carriers. Really that's just me denying the fact that one day there's not going to be anymore unlimited data.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One thing not mentioned here is that Virgin Mobile already openly says that they throttle people on their "unlimited" Broadband2go plan. Why don't they just do that with their beyond talk plans and say that's one of the compromises to get this price point. They can then upsell for those that truly are data hogs

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing nobody mentioned is the fcc, they allot bandwidth, its the governments way to have control in all of this and get tax dollars from us but making the telecom companies collect it. They say we will run out of bandwidth all together if they let companies use unlimited amounts, I think its all crap, you can raise rates with supply and demand if you make your resource limited. The FCC is there just to be a paid unneeded middleman. Did you know the FCC was only invented to monitor money gram transfers, to make sure nothing crooked was going on

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
What about everything at AT&T's website AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom ?

AT&T says that the US is using mobile data at an alarming and increasing rate. There's information about how the MHz frequencies are limited are being overloaded. So their best idea is to buy out and get rid of T-Mobile? Next Verizon is going to start complaining on about how their fancy new LTE phones are leeching too much bandwidth and then Sprint will be merged and gone! Sometimes I'd rather have a Straight Talk Walmart Special flip phone than deal with all these carriers. Really that's just me denying the fact that one day there's not going to be anymore unlimited data.

The frequencies aren't overloaded, AT&T just doesn't want to spent the money on it.

It's not the first time AT&T has done this.
Last time they needed a major upgrade they sold off their system to Verizon claiming it wasn't profitable. Then they went and bought out Cingular. They hate upgrades and woudl rather buy someone else's system rather than fix their own. I came to the conclusion long ago that AT&T hates customers. They really prefer only serving businesses.

As for their old system not being profitable, where is Verizon now?
They invested in the old AT&T system and look where it got them.

Of course we are using more data, data use only goes up, not down. Everything in computing doubles every two years, data is no exception.

In Canada they are trying to lock home users down at 30gigs a month. To say that isn't going over well is an understatement. Will companies try? You bet, but because of the actual costs, someone will fight them on it and if they go too far they will make the smart phone useless. At some point either competitor will kill them, or the government will step in.

The thing nobody mentioned is the fcc, they allot bandwidth, its the governments way to have control in all of this and get tax dollars from us but making the telecom companies collect it. They say we will run out of bandwidth all together if they let companies use unlimited amounts, I think its all crap, you can raise rates with supply and demand if you make your resource limited. The FCC is there just to be a paid unneeded middleman. Did you know the FCC was only invented to monitor money gram transfers, to make sure nothing crooked was going on

It is a lie.
It's nowhere near saturated, they just don't want to spend the money on infrastructure (as stated above).

The FCC is no longer working for us, they are working for them, which is why the AT&T T-Mobile deal will go through. If it doesn't I will be truly shocked.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Europe is not very economically smart, but they do have it right with their unregulated open market Telecom. There are multiple cable and internet choices, no one is allowed to monopolize, Wich creates competition for best speeds and prices, I read somewhere that they pay $60 a month for 60mg internet and cable and phone, over regulation causes us to pay 3 times that amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny