If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
A couple disclaimers:

I am on Verizon Wireless and have no dog in this fight...

The rumored Cyber Monday sale for the Moto X has yet to become official and quantities may be extremely limited.

With that said, if I can get a 32 GB Moto C Developer edition for $399.99 on Monday for VZW, I will probably pull the trigger, especially with 0.00% financing over 12 months.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?
Yes. The Nexus 5 has more up-to-date specs, a higher resolution-screen, the Google experience launcher out of the box, and wireless charging, just to name a few reasons. And I never really liked the active notifications stuff.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I would because despite the quick update to kitkat, I'm still suspicious about how fast future updates will come from carriers.

I had software bugs on my S3 that were fixed on my nexus 7 with updates from Google. I finally got tired of working around the bugs, and bought a nexus 4. It was such a better user experience. My wife took the Nexus 4 and ditched the s3, and I grabbed the Nexus 5.

I'm giving Motorola a year to see how they support their devices before I leave the Nexus world.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The rumored sale is for an unlocked phone. I have not seen "developer's edition" mentioned anywhere. In fact, I don't think there is such a thing.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to add, I don't like amoled screens. I use my phone for golf gps range finder, and amoled screens, in my experience, are harder to see in direct sunlight.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can lose with either phone, but I personally plan to go with the N5 because I prefer LCD screens and I support the Nexus experiment. The Moto X would be my second choice though.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd still probably choose the Nexus but I don't truly know without having ever seen or held the X in person.

But since I've gotten my N5 I'm just in love with it. The only thing I'm not thrilled is lack of SD & removable battery. But same situation with the X.

The screen is better, the battery every bit as good, the processor is better, the form factor is great, the speed is phenomenal, and it will get updates for hopefully 18 months at least. And it is THE true Google phone, original-accept-no-substitutes genuine article. I've become rabidly fannish so I appreciate that. ;):p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i would. The camera on the Moto X is worse and the screen isnt as good. Plus the faster updates. Both are good phones but i would go N5 first. The only things that intigues me more to the Moto X is the always on feature and the battery life which actually is the biggest thing for me.

dcm202

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I would still stick with the nexus 5 I think. I've read reviews on both and I think the nexus is still superior to the moto x. Either way though I still made the right choice moving from iOS to Android.

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X would have to cost no more than $275 for me to buy it over the Nexus 5 at $349 based on value for the money to me. The Nexus 5 just has Superior components (CPU & GPU), better battery that resist aging with a lithium polymer battery, larger 1080p screen with more pixels per inch and more features than the Moto X. Any Nexus 5 sold in North America will work on any service provider except Verizon that blocks it in the USA and that isn't true of the Moto X that has a few different Moto X models for different service providers. Granted there is a different Nexus 5 version for use in Asia where I will never be. The beauty of having a unlocked phone is I can fire my service provider if they are doing a bad job or someone has a better service for the money. So being portable between service providers is very important to me. Both are great phones and the Moto X has a faster focus camera and a little better battery life with it's higher energy density Lithium-Ion battery but the Nexus 5 is more that solid to me with both of those features.

Last edited:

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Droid life did a comparison, and preferrred the N5 over the Moto X. I would not trade the N5 for a Moto X, because to me it would be going backwards.

mattjopete

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
For me, The Nexus 5 was the best device I could buy, I can't stand any bloat and anything but stock android has been annoying in the past. For my wife however, who loves the idea of active notifications and mostly just texts and browses facebook, the Moto X is perfect. Its "lesser" hardware doesn't really matter to her as long as it runs smooth.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Both are awesome phones. I honestly would strongly consider it, but the simple fact that there may or may not be enough stock would push me to just take the safe bet of the N5. I LOVE the active notifications and the touchless control of the Moto X, but I also told myself i'd never again buy a device with a sub-full HD screen. It's just time for 1080p. When it's all said and done, i'd probably still get the Nexus 5 although I will admit my heart jumped when I first saw this sale on the Moto X.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I left the x for the n5 and don't miss it at all. That being said, the x is one of the best devices I have ever used but at the end of the day, there is no substitute for a nexus in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app