If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you since people that order everything to try out for kicks to say they have tested a phone just runs up the cost of phones for the rest of us. I did my homework before I buy a phone. I wish they had ar least a $50 restocking charge to make people do their own home work before they buy a phone. I have no clue why anyone would want to own more than one phone unless one is for business only that they didn't pay for unless they owned the company. I only pay $35 a month for my Nexus 5 service for a phone but it ticks me off that is $420 is way too expensive since I have 2 phones with one for the wife. I think $840 a year for two phones is a rip off since wireless is cheaper than maintaining wires in the ground for home phones where I only pay $30 a year with MagicJack that is the same quality as AT&T.

420 barely covers 2 and a half months of me and my wife through AT&T. Our bill runs around 155-160 a month but it's worth it for the service we get. T-Mobile is non existent in the area we live in. I've tried cheaper prepaid alternatives and they just can't cut it for data coverage or speed. The only one I haven't tried is AIO wireless which wouldn't end up saving that much money a month. Your 35 a line is a great deal and if that's still a rip off to you, you may want to look at getting rid of your phone since you won't find anything cheaper than that.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem with anyone owning a bunch of phones. It's buying them when you know you intend to return one after trying it out that bugs me. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Why would it bug you? That means there's a refurbished model out there that could be sold st a lower price point...

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you since people that order everything to try out for kicks to say they have tested a phone just runs up the cost of phones for the rest of us. I did my homework before I buy a phone. I wish they had ar least a $50 restocking charge to make people do their own home work before they buy a phone. I have no clue why anyone would want to own more than one phone unless one is for business only that they didn't pay for unless they owned the company. I only pay $35 a month for my Nexus 5 service for a phone but it ticks me off that is $420 is way too expensive since I have 2 phones with one for the wife. I think $840 a year for two phones is a rip off since wireless is cheaper than maintaining wires in the ground for home phones where I only pay $30 a year with MagicJack that is the same quality as AT&T.

Do you own more than one television? If so, why?

Some people own multiple cars, some own multiple watches, some own multiple homes. I own multiple phones because I like phones.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
420 barely covers 2 and a half months of me and my wife through AT&T. Our bill runs around 155-160 a month but it's worth it for the service we get. T-Mobile is non existent in the area we live in. I've tried cheaper prepaid alternatives and they just can't cut it for data coverage or speed. The only one I haven't tried is AIO wireless which wouldn't end up saving that much money a month. Your 35 a line is a great deal and if that's still a rip off to you, you may want to look at getting rid of your phone since you won't find anything cheaper than that.

AIO is owned by AT&T and uses their towers so you should be able to save money. Cell radio is much cheaper to maintain than the wires that run on utility poles and underground so cell should cost less than a wired connections. Cell towers have made phone service affordable in third world nations that could never afford wires service. The days of over charging people for cell services will be changing. AT&T likes to go out of their way to make complicated plans that sound like a deal to save money but just end up costing you more money like this new AT&T sales gimmick.

Why AT&T's new pricing plans are only a bargain for some

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Why would it bug you? That means there's a refurbished model out there that could be sold st a lower price point...

How much lower of a price point? Every time I've seen refurbed electronics there isn't a huge price drop on them. But OK. If you like to buy refurbed's then people should keep treating stuff as if there's no responsibility involved in buying anything. Maybe they should do that with food and toilet paper.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
AIO is owned by AT&T and uses their towers so you should be able to save money. Cell radio is much cheaper to maintain than the wires that run on utility poles and underground so cell should cost less than a wired connections. Cell towers have made phone service affordable in third world nations that could never afford wires service. The days of over charging people for cell services will be changing. AT&T likes to go out of their way to make complicated plans that sound like a deal to save money but just end up costing you more money like this new AT&T sales gimmick.

Why AT&T's new pricing plans are only a bargain for some

Oh I completely agree that the price carriers charge is a complete rip off. They sell air. Sure it's very expensive to maintain towers, add new ones, pay employees, location rent, maintenance etc but it is still very much marked up. I do hope that the United States can continue to move toward a prepaid, bring your own phone way of wireless. It is so deeply ingrained in U.S. wireless consumers that their phone is provided by their service provider, and is cheap to free with a two year contract. People do not get their tv's from their cable or satellite provider, but they find it completely normal to get their phone from their cell provider. I have always done two year contracts because I wanted the discount on the equipment and knew that I would be paying for the service anyway. I've only recently began to think of viewing the device and the service as two separate things.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If you've been fortunate enough to either get the OTA or actually sideload 4.4.1, there's a level of polish that it adds to the device that's made me change my mind on which device out of the two that I find superior. I've always preferred the Nexus 5 personally, but agreed that the Moto X, overall, was the better phone. With the improvements to the camera (quicker launch, faster auto focus, little to zero shutter lag, better contrast, etc.) and an improvement to the speaker, I think the Nexus 5 takes it's rightful place at the top of the list now. In general, these improvements should have been there at launch, but I could say the same about the Moto X camera, as well. Both devices have gotten quick updates to fix glaring issues or add the newest version of Android, but I think it's fair to say now that with the camera improvements, the Nexus 5 is the superior device.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have owned both... had a Nexus 5, which I sold, and now a Moto X that I love. What does it for me is the size, the battery life (huge plus for the X), and the software features. The Nexus 5 was too big and felt too light to me for its size. Battery life was less than stellar. The screen was lackluster (my opinion), but I also was using an HTC One at the time. The camera was inconsistent and terrible at acquiring focus. The speaker was awful. I ended up selling it for what I paid for it and keeping the HTC One.

The Moto X has the hands-free feature that I use all the time, especially in the car. The Active Notifications are great... so much better than a winking LED. I'm also in love with the little hand motion that brings up the camera, rather than unlocking the phone, finding the app, etc. Moto Assist detects when I'm driving and reads messages, and allows me to respond. Trusted Bluetooth always keeps the phone unlocked in my car. There's a feature that allows me to receive and respond to text messages on my PC with my phone in my pocket.

Battery life on the X is stellar, and I could never get even acceptable battery life on the Nexus 5. The X also charges more quickly than any other phone I've ever used. The speaker is the loudest I've ever had in a phone. I like the size which is just right for me. Not totally in love with the unreal colors of the amoled screen (particularly reds and yellows that almost glow), but I like that better than the blandness of the Nexus 5. I certainly can't notice any difference in resolution. Finally, the feature that lets me pick my own color of the back with accent makes the phone my own... it feels great in the hand with that little dimple in the back. I notice little difference in speed between the two phones, but the X is definitely less "laggy" than my HTC One, which is now sold.

Anyway, for me... I had both and kept one. Just what I preferred... I'm sure many will feel differently about the feature priorities. For example, some are in love with wireless charging and can't do without it. I prefer to only charge at night and have a phone that lasts the full day, and it's no trouble to take 1 second and plug in the cable on my nightstand. :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My mom ordered a customized Moto X last saturday and she got it in the mail on Tuesday. I went over to her house to help her activate it and give her a quick smartphone tour (first one she's ever owned), and I absolutely LOVED the phone. It was so awesome that I started to worry that my Nexus 5 that was delivered two days later may not excite me. Almost like her Moto X stole the thunder of getting a new phone.

Not so. I feel like the Nexus 5 is outstanding and I am glad I don't have to decide which one is better. All I can say, is I am so glad I got the Nexus 5, and i'm so glad there's a Moto X in my family so I can mess with it occassionally. I like the features more on the Moto X, but I like the screen size and screen pixel density more on the N5.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Moto X for two reasons.

One is battery life. Amoled > LCD for battery and I've never once felt like the resolution of my 720p nexus 4 was sub par at all and that my HTC one's 1080 p screen was significantly better. And lower resolutions = better battery life too.

Secondly the moto x is the best "in the hand" feeling phone I've ever held. I also prefer a 4.5-4.7" display over 5+"

As someone who owns both, I get better battery on the n5

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You know, I'll just go with my personal experience instead. OK?

You're the one who said he was the first you'd ever heard say that. Of course you'll never hear it anywhere else if you turn a blind eye. It's not a big deal, he was just pointing out that he isn't the only one.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not saying you're lying, but you'd definitely be in the minority. Battery life isn't nearly as abysmal on the Nexus 5 as some make it out to be, though.

Yeah. I think I average around 4.5 hours screen on time and over 20 hours on battery...and that still is not to dead

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I think I average around 4.5 hours screen on time and over 20 hours on battery...and that still is not to dead

I never got anything close to that. Not even half that. I could get just over 2 with the N5, and regularly get around 4 with the X. It's not a small difference. Probably has to do with usage and apps that I tend to run that you don't. Plus, I don't do a lot of tweaking with battery monitors and nonsense... I just use the phone with everything (such as GPS and Wifi) turned on, and auto-brightness.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I never got anything close to that. Not even half that. I could get just over 2 with the N5, and regularly get around 4 with the X. It's not a small difference. Probably has to do with usage and apps that I tend to run that you don't. Plus, I don't do a lot of tweaking with battery monitors and nonsense... I just use the phone with everything (such as GPS and Wifi) turned on, and auto-brightness.

I leave everything on and have ART enabled. Today I used the moto, but will screen shot my stats tomorrow from the n5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332