If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I would get the Nexus 5 even if the Moto X was less expensive. I've said it before and I'll say it again - unless I was looking for a backup device, I would not get a phone with last year's specs. Everyone has their preferences, but I really don't understand the fascination with the Moto X.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would still get the Nexus 5. I like the larger screen, higher resolution, nice clean industrial design and faster updates. I really don't care for the Moto X design. I don't like the front design with a lip around the screen that sticks out a bit, the fit and finish quality and the color mismatch on the white where the white on the screen is not the same as the trim around the screen. I also use a wireless charger and find it very convenient.

I don't care what anyone says about the updates, the Google Nexus phones always get the updates faster.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think so. The wireless charging feature, now that I've gotten used to it, is hard to give up.

The Moto X (2013) will be really interesting..

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think so. The wireless charging feature, now that I've gotten used to it, is hard to give up.

The Moto X (2013) will be really interesting..

lol, its not as hard as you may think, I had a bunch of wireless charging stations during palm pre days, they are all scattering around my desk doing nothing now.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
lol, its not as hard as you may think, I had a bunch of wireless charging stations during palm pre days, they are all scattering around my desk doing nothing now.

Well clear out some extra room on your desk for all your USB 2.0 Micro-B cables when the new USB Type-C connector, intended for USB 3.1 and 2.0 devices, will be a complete redesign by 2015.

Following a lead set by Apple with the Lightning connector used in the iPhone 5 and newer iPads and iPods, the USB Type-C plug and socket will fit either way up, avoiding fumbling to find the correct orientation, the group said.

The Type-C USB connector is meant to be used to deliver power, data and video across all devices without the need for another connector, the group said. It will however not work with existing USB plugs. The specification will define new-to-existing cables and adapters to allow users to use their existing products, the group said.

The new USB connector needs to follow the design trends in terms of size and usability, the group said, adding that the Type-C connector lays the foundation for future versions of USB. It will also enable an entirely new “super thin class” of devices, it added.

Next-gen USB connector will (finally!) fit both ways

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X has hands-free voice control, which is pretty cool. I already enjoy saying "Okay, Google" on my N5, and doing that on the Moto X without having to turn it on and swipe it open would be even cooler.

The N5 may have the more powerful SD800, but it has twice the number of pixels to push, so it doesn't feel any faster. I don't know what the battery life is on the Moto X, but I imagine it would be better, because once again it has half the number of pixels to light up. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the battery life was significantly longer during on-screen testing.

The Moto X also feels better in the hand, which is really important. I bought a white N5 and it's incredibly slippery, no grip at all, I've already dropped it twice and one time it slipped and flew out of my hand when I pulled it out of my pocket in a hurry. My leather case that I ordered for it can't get here fast enough. I bought the Nexus 5 before all the reviews came out. If I had known the white version had no grip and was slick as ice, I would have bought the black version instead. The white N5 feels like you're holding onto a wet bar of soap, it's that slippery.

The speaker absolutely sucks on the Nexus 5. That alone almost killed it for me the first time I watched a video and found out I have to hold my thumb in an awkward position to prevent my thumb from blocking the speaker.

The N5 may have the larger screen, but it's difficult to operate with one hand. The Moto X fits perfectly in your hand though and you can use it one handed comfortably and easily.

Honestly if I had known the Moto X was going to drop to $349 off-contract, I would have bought that instead. But oh well. The Nexus 5 is still a beast of a phone and I like it very much, despite all of its flaws.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Unless the cool software gimmicks call to you then it would be the Nexus 5 for me. I contemplated the same thing for about 10 seconds before hitting the purchase button on my Nexus 5, but as the X has a lesser screen, camera, update frequency, form factor (feels plasticy and very fragile IMO), and specs the Nexus 5 was a no brainer.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The rumored Cyber Monday sale for the Moto X has yet to become official and quantities may be extremely limited.

I bought a Moto X GSM Developer Edition phone during the Cyber Monday sale. I was luckier than most people because my order went through smoothly. I still might buy a Nexus 5 to compare it with the Moto X.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Moto X GSM Developer Edition phone during the Cyber Monday sale. I was luckier than most people because my order went through smoothly. I still might buy a Nexus 5 to compare it with the Moto X.

Do you make money as a professional phone reviewer? If not, please don't order a Nexus 5 if you're only going to return it after a week once you've used it to satisfy your curiosity.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you make money as a professional phone reviewer? If not, please don't order a Nexus 5 if you're only going to return it after a week once you've used it to satisfy your curiosity.

Lol I didn't realize he wasn't free to spend his own money on whatever he wants.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Lol I didn't realize he wasn't free to spend his own money on whatever he wants.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Of course he is. But I've seen a lot of others doing this, ordering without any real intention of keeping.

JobSteves

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Moto X for two reasons.

One is battery life. Amoled > LCD for battery and I've never once felt like the resolution of my 720p nexus 4 was sub par at all and that my HTC one's 1080 p screen was significantly better. And lower resolutions = better battery life too.

Secondly the moto x is the best "in the hand" feeling phone I've ever held. I also prefer a 4.5-4.7" display over 5+"

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Moto X for two reasons.

One is battery life. Amoled > LCD for battery and I've never once felt like the resolution of my 720p nexus 4 was sub par at all and that my HTC one's 1080 p screen was significantly better. And lower resolutions = better battery life too.

Secondly the moto x is the best "in the hand" feeling phone I've ever held. I also prefer a 4.5-4.7" display over 5+"

Amoled screen actually needs to be handled properly to save battery. It consumes battery when the pixel is light, and it doesn't light up for black color. So it consumes no battery displaying pure black, but consumes more displaying pure white.

Android kitkat is in general lighter than jelly bean, its not a good news for Moto X's amoled screen.

Also, moto's always listening function causes more battery drain in standby, so in the end, it doesn't really last much, if all, longer than N5.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

What makes you think I won't keep the Nexus 5 and return the Moto X instead?

As for your other question, no, I'm not a professional phone reviewer... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

Holiday Inn Express Commercial

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Of course he is. But I've seen a lot of others doing this, ordering without any real intention of keeping.

What exactly is your point? I have a Nexus 5, Moto x, Note 3, 5s, and Nokia 1020 without a single intention of giving up any of them. We all have hobbies we spend money on. Some of us choose mobile devices. Others choose an expensive golf membership, drinking, smoking, or whatever.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose? Nexus 5 by a hair over the Note 3. The X was my second favorite but the displays on the N5 and Note 3 are just so much better looking.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What makes you think I won't keep the Nexus 5 and return the Moto X instead?

As for your other question, no, I'm not a professional phone reviewer... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

Holiday Inn Express Commercial

Well, that's the same thing too... Anyway didn't mean to jump on you. It's like buying new clothes with intention to return them after wearing to some event. They put them back on the rack! Would you want to buy them next, if you knew someone else already wore them out? After all, it's not like buying from a second hand store at the outset. But that's basically what a lot of people do and I just think it's dishonest, among other things. But I was wrong to assume that's your intention. :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is your point? I have a Nexus 5, Moto x, Note 3, 5s, and Nokia 1020 without a single intention of giving up any of them. We all have hobbies we spend money on. Some of us choose mobile devices. Others choose an expensive golf membership, drinking, smoking, or whatever.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose? Nexus 5 by a hair over the Note 3. The X was my second favorite but the displays on the N5 and Note 3 are just so much better looking.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have no problem with anyone owning a bunch of phones. It's buying them when you know you intend to return one after trying it out that bugs me. :)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with anyone owning a bunch of phones. It's buying them when you know you intend to return one after trying it out that bugs me. :)

I agree with you since people that order everything to try out for kicks to say they have tested a phone just runs up the cost of phones for the rest of us. I did my homework before I buy a phone. I wish they had ar least a $50 restocking charge to make people do their own home work before they buy a phone. I have no clue why anyone would want to own more than one phone unless one is for business only that they didn't pay for unless they owned the company. I only pay $35 a month for my Nexus 5 service for a phone but it ticks me off that is $420 a year per phone is too expensive since I have 2 phones with one for the wife. I think $840 a year for two phones is a rip off since wireless is cheaper than maintaining wires in the ground for home phones where I only pay $30 a year with MagicJack that is the same quality as AT&T.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia