In screen Fingerprint scanner results

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner is horrible on my pixel 6 pro. I have to think google released this phone in a not ready state. If they do not resolve this with some sort of software fix (if thats possible) this phone is junk.
Think that is a bit harsh. Many of us are not having the "issues" you are complaining about. My phone is definitely NOT junk.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner is horrible on my pixel 6 pro. I have to think google released this phone in a not ready state. If they do not resolve this with some sort of software fix (if thats possible) this phone is junk.
After setting up my P6PRO fingerprints (set thumb twice) I'm finding the scanner to be extremely accurate and reliable. I was expecting to be disappointed from posts I've read and some video reviews. I'm not.
I still prefer the back scanner of my Pixel 4a but the P6P scanner hasn't disappointed me.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 6 Pro. Came from an S21. Using film screen protector.

I am trying to train myself to hold my finger on the scanner just a fraction of a second longer than I did on the S21. Improves success rate.

This is the key to a better success rate, if you press and hold a little longer than other phones then ther hit rate improves massively. It is poor though given how mature under screen FPS are now. Do wonder if Google cut some costs by buying up some un-used gen 1 FPS from someone :)

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yet another "issue" that is completely overblown. The sensor works perfectly fine, especially if you register your digits more than two or three times. And okay it's not lightning fast sometimes sometimes it doesn't register but it gets the job done. it works perfectly fine. People get all in their feelings over something like this and it just makes me shake my head

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There a quite a few phones out there with optical underscreen scanners that are better than the one on the Pixel 6 models.

On my Pixel 6 the scanner was OK until I put a screen protector on, now the hit rate is around 75%.

If you didn't reset and re-store your fingerprints after putting the screen protector on, a substantial change in performance isn't surprising. If you did, then it may simply be an issue with the specific screen protector you used (there's a lot of discussion in general about different protectors being compatible/incompatible with any number of different in-display FPS systems).

Also, have you tried turning up the sensitivity of the sensor? I've read that that option - specifically intended to address issues with screen protectors - was introduced with the software update they rolled out.

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
It is great that your device has no issues, but some of us do have problems. And, by sharing the problems and concerns we hopefully can expedite the solution. I had the P5 and P4 and the FPS was near perfect. Not so much with my P6. There are times when it takes 4 or 5 tries, and times where it won’t open at all. I have turned off, re-booted and factory reset.
This should not happen. Something changed from the previous devices…… it needs to be addressed

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It is great that your device has no issues, but some of us do have problems. And, by sharing the problems and concerns we hopefully can expedite the solution. I had the P5 and P4 and the FPS was near perfect. Not so much with my P6. There are times when it takes 4 or 5 tries, and times where it won’t open at all. I have turned off, re-booted and factory reset.
This should not happen. Something changed from the previous devices…… it needs to be addressed

Changing from a capacitive to an optical sensor necessitates a change in expectation of performance. Simply put, an optical under-display sensor is going to be slower and less reliable than a capacitive sensor. Other OEM's have moved on to ultrasonic sensors which can be almost as fast and reliable, and even more secure, than capacitive sensors, while likewise beating out optical in both respects.

If you want the speed and reliability of the capacitive sensor you had on your P4 and P5, you're pretty much out of luck with newer upper mid-range to flagship phones. Sadly, the industry is moving away from them because they lack the 'wow-check-out-how-I-can-unlock-my-phone' factor they opted for to differentiate themselves.

I don't have my P6 Pro in hand yet (should be arriving any time, knock on wood), but sight-unseen I anticipate that Google electing to use an optical scanner over the much more widely used ultrasonic scanner (or even using a capacitive sensor embedded in the power button) will be my biggest letdown with the device. But coming from a Samsung that uses an optical sensor, so long as it is a similar range of performance I won't really be that upset.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to take everyone's word for this. Unfortunately the FedEx delivery guy got a flat tire on his bicycle somewhere in the southwest desert.

TheJastrom

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had a couple of issues with the fingerprint scanner not reading my thumb a few times and it was a little frustrating until I heard I think on a podcast or youtube video I forget (I've watched so many over the past week on the Pixel 6 line) and I heard about this tip on the Fingerprint setup, You can setup multiple fingerprints but instead set up the same finger multiple times, I set up the same thumb twice and the same Index finger twice and I haven't had issues since. It's a good tip.

Also I use Smart Unlock for home, My phone mostly stays unlocked when I've been at home for awhile and I like that a lot. I used it on my Pixel 4xl too.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Question about Smart Unlock on the 6...is there a setting that allows you to bypass the lock screen? i.e. when at home from screen off can I push the power button and get straight in or are you required to swipe up?
I really like the bypass lock screen on my 4xl.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had a couple of issues with the fingerprint scanner not reading my thumb a few times and it was a little frustrating until I heard I think on a podcast or youtube video I forget (I've watched so many over the past week on the Pixel 6 line) and I heard about this tip on the Fingerprint setup, You can setup multiple fingerprints but instead set up the same finger multiple times, I set up the same thumb twice and the same Index finger twice and I haven't had issues since. It's a good tip.

Also I use Smart Unlock for home, My phone mostly stays unlocked when I've been at home for awhile and I like that a lot. I used it on my Pixel 4xl too.
I did exactly what you did when I set up my P6PRO yesterday and I haven't had a single issue with the fps.
I have been having screen issues with gestures not registering to a frustrating degree though.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Question about Smart Unlock on the 6...is there a setting that allows you to bypass the lock screen? i.e. when at home from screen off can I push the power button and get straight in or are you required to swipe up?
I have not seen that setting, it might not be there anymore. I did like that on my 4XL also.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I have my P6P set up with Smart Unlock for home. When I use the power button to turn off the screen and then turn the screen there is an unlocked symbol at the bottom. I either just tap that or swipe up to get to home screen. If the phone has been sitting for a while it will lock and I have to use the pin. It's a security thing feature.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I have not seen that setting, it might not be there anymore. I did like that on my 4XL also.

Rats.
I'm totally getting the 6 Pro for the new cameras. I wish Google had just stuck the new cameras on the 4xl! That would be the perfect phone for me. Stupid slow FPS and curved glass. Sigh.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I have my P6P set up with Smart Unlock for home. When I use the power button to turn off the screen and then turn the screen there is an unlocked symbol at the bottom. I either just tap that or swipe up to get to home screen. If the phone has been sitting for a while it will lock and I have to use the pin. It's a security thing feature.

But you don't really need security when you're at home, right? Kind of weird that it doesn't present the fingerprint if it's been sitting a while but rather requires a PIN.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
But you don't really need security when you're at home, right? Kind of weird that it doesn't present the fingerprint if it's been sitting a while but rather requires a PIN.
Sometimes the fps does show up and I can just swipe up instead of putting my thumb on it. Sometimes not. It's a bit weird.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe many of you are being ridiculously harsh about the FPS. Mine works 100% of the time. When I set mine up I had read something about how to do it and get the best results. The suggestion was to move your finger around to all different positions. I even did mine with only a little over half of my finger on the circle and I noticed the progress bar was still moving forward. I touched it with the tip of my finger way over the edge so the first finger joint was in the circle. It took at least 30 or more tries, but now works flawlessly. It is crazy to say the things I've seen on here about it being junk. Take some time with it during set up and it works great.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have had my P6 Pro for almost a week now and I have to say the fps is getting worse. I have scanned both my thumbs multiple times and it's works great but as soon as I touch something like wash the dishes pickup something off the floor or even come out of the shower it almost dosent read my thumb. Can't tell you how many times I have had to enter my PIN. This is so frustrating on a $1300 AU phone.

This is a deal breaker for me and if I don't see some improvements soon I will have to move on.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had my P6 Pro for almost a week now and I have to say the fps is getting worse. I have scanned both my thumbs multiple times and it's works great but as soon as I touch something like wash the dishes pickup something off the floor or even come out of the shower it almost dosent read my thumb. Can't tell you how many times I have had to enter my PIN. This is so frustrating on a $1300 AU phone.

This is a deal breaker for me and if I don't see some improvements soon I will have to move on.

Most of the time I'm using my phone at with it on my desk. I registered my right index finger as it seemed more natural for my hand than using a thumb while it is laying flat. Maybe because the index finger is smaller the scanner can see the whole thing better than our fat thumbs and has a better result?

It would be interesting to see if most of you having problems are using thumbs and if those of us that have it working perfectly are using a finger.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine was working great since Wednesday... Fell apart this morning after my round of golf...I have sensitivity turned up and the max # of right thumbs allowed and just could not get it to work...This went on till now...It occurred to me maybe the screen was dirty. Wiped it clean a few times...that worked like a charm.

Put that on the list of things to do if it is acting up.

One more thing I never had to with the 5...cleaned it for germs but never to make the sensor work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001