In screen Fingerprint scanner results

mmidgley

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because the index finger is smaller the scanner can see the whole thing better than our fat thumbs and has a better result?

It would be interesting to see if most of you having problems are using thumbs and if those of us that have it working perfectly are using a finger.

It's not about the sensor being able to see an entire fingerprint. It's about the sensor seeing the same data each time. So that could be helped by a better sensor, but can also be impacted greatly by consistent user action.

I've had good success with my 6 Pro (with a Supershieldz film protector).

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had much luck with the fingerprint scanner. I was able to register my print, however the scanner would recognize my print 50% of the time. It's not very accurate in my experiences. I turned the feature off not even bothering with it, coming from the iPhone I'm used to putting in my code to unlock anyway, since face ID is useless with a mask.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
When I got my current Pixel 2 XL the big gripe was the screen color shift at an angle. I noticed it the first day I got the phone when I looked for it. After that, in 4/5 years since I had it I never noticed it. I suppose this will be the same.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
My FPS now seems to have stopped working. Was fine until a big Google update yesterday. I registered my thumb twice as some have suggested but no better.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Compared to my year old S20 FE 5G the P6 fingerprint sensor is subpar. My S20 is much faster. Disappointing to see what Google rolled out. Still debating on whether to move to P6 or keep my S20.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had a couple of issues with the fingerprint scanner not reading my thumb a few times and it was a little frustrating until I heard I think on a podcast or youtube video I forget (I've watched so many over the past week on the Pixel 6 line) and I heard about this tip on the Fingerprint setup, You can setup multiple fingerprints but instead set up the same finger multiple times, I set up the same thumb twice and the same Index finger twice and I haven't had issues since. It's a good tip.

I wonder if something about fingerprint registration changed after the update. My Pixel 6 arrived on Nov. 2, after the update, and it prompted me to do all those things. The various prompts appeared on the screen as the process progressed. I just followed the instructions, and it has been working quite well for me.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Compared to my year old S20 FE 5G the P6 fingerprint sensor is subpar. My S20 is much faster. Disappointing to see what Google rolled out. Still debating on whether to move to P6 or keep my S20.

My experience coming from the S20 FE 5G to the P6 Pro is the opposite. While it's not be any means fast when compared to capacitive or ultrasonic FPS, for me the Pixel is noticeably faster and vastly more reliable than the Samsung.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually greatly appreciate these threads about the FPS because I expected it to be complete trash and now I'm quite impressed. I think it's been great so far for me.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
My scanner has yet to improve. Registered my prints over and over but still no good. Hope it improves.
Try to register the prints after you've moisturized your hands a little bit. Maybe it will help. I'm not saying definitely, but it's worth the shot since it seems like you've tried a few times..

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I initially had some issues with the fingerprints but I re-did the scans and made sure to move my finger around A LOT when registering the thing. Seems to work a lot better now, I just have to remember to hold my finger down a second longer than I think I should.
I've had the pro for 2 days and registered four fingers, and as you said was very careful to really cover all angles, with the most prominent parts multiple times. For my things I trained the scanner in the way I'd be holding the phone when I'd be unlocking with the thumbs, ditto with the index fingers.

It's been really good on accuracy, you just half to get used to holding your finger down an extra half second

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is the answer, but it is working for me. I went to gesture navigation vs the 3 buttons. Prior to the switch I was so frustrated that we almost sent the phone back. BUT….now it works almost flawlessly.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Mine is just about usable now but it is far from good vs. other phones that is for sure. Registering the same print 2 or 3 times and turning on the increased screen sensitivity option seems the best solution currently. I also find that my finger works better than my thumb.

Assuming this is penny pinching by Google in using leftover 2018 sensors rather than a software thing then this is really poor from Google IMO.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner works fine for me but it is definitely slower than using face unlock or my preferred method, the beloved fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone. Didn't realize how much I'd miss that especially for pulling the phone out of my pocket. Oddly I even thought about returning the 6 and sticking with my 5A just for that reason but I do love the additional features on the 6. I would say this is the only thing I'm not happy about but it is something I can live with.

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner is not the fastest but it's been accurate for me. Just have to get used to keeping your finger for a few seconds more to unlock. While on the S21 ultra it's instant. But once you know that it's been super accurate and works pretty much every time. I have just registered four different fingers but mostly use right thumb to unlock.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I only have 1 of each thumb setup, and it's been just fine, albeit slower than other phones but I am not bothered by it. Just have to put my thumb on the screen a few more seconds than normal. Not enough to complain about.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz