Infuse now or wait a couple of weeks for Motorola Dual Core And2.3 Photon 4G?

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Infuse now or wait a couple of weeks for Motorola Dual Core And2.3 Photon 4G?

Motorola Photon 4G with WiMAX and Tegra 2 to be announced at Sprint/Moto event on June 9th - Phone Arena

"The Motorola Photon 4G is the mysterious device that will take the spotlight at the Sprint/Motorola event on June 9th, according to information from ?very well positioned source,? quoted on TechnoBuffalo. The Photon 4G is not just a regular Android ? it packs a dual-core Tegra 2 chip and WiMAX connectivity, and looks much like the Atrix 4G for AT&T. Combine this with whispers about a device codenamed ?Sunfire? with both WiMAX and GSM connectivity for global roaming, and you get the nearly full profile of the heavyweight about to join Sprint?s lineup.

In terms of pure specs, we?re looking at:
- 4.3-inch qHD (540 x 960) screen,
- 1 GB of RAM,
- 8MP camera,
- LapTop Dock

When it comes to software, the Photon 4G will hit shelves with Android 2.3 Gingerbread with the latest of MotoBLUR skinning, which you can see on the DROID X2. Designwise, the handset flaunts a soft-grip metal back and a metal kickstand.

Did we mention it?s coming with an Atrix-like Laptop Dock? No details about pricing and whether the dock will also be compatible with the Motorola Atrix 4G, but you won?t have to wait too long to find out ? the Photon 4G?s aims for a release date in July."

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
well it comes down to do you need a phone now the photon will be nice but then again so will the galaxy s 2 and the lg g2x(variant i forget the aT&T name) theres some really solid dual core phones in the pipeline for both carriers so it makes it hard. The one thing i always say to people choose a carrier not a phone but since you have good service with both then honestly i would go with sprint.

My reasoning sprint offers a great value and if you have good coverage by them then choose them and select a device they offer in this case you seem fond of the photon so then i would wait for that.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was all set to go with the Infuse, but now with this Photon coming out, it is difficult decision. Motorola has been leading the market in pushing technology to it's fullest. Now with dual core support on a Gingerbread OS on day one, the thing is going to be blazing fast and with 1GB Ram.

The screen on the Infuse is great, but the Photon will be 4.3" screen and it will have a Laptop Dock. Something I will use for work a lot.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I was all set to go with the Infuse, but now with this Photon coming out, it is difficult decision. Motorola has been leading the market in pushing technology to it's fullest. Now with dual core support on a Gingerbread OS on day one, the thing is going to be blazing fast and with 1GB Ram.

The screen on the Infuse is great, but the Photon will be 4.3" screen and it will have a Laptop Dock. Something I will use for work a lot.

If you plan to use the Laptop Dock a lot, I'd wait.

cellio

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
This is like the question of Digital camera or HD Video camera. It's one or the other, but really they exist independently for good reasons. I had the Atrix and the laptop dock... guess how many times I used them together...0! Sure I thought it was cool and got a good deal on them both, but the phine did the same thing with any tv with hdmi. Also pretty cool...know how many times I used that....Once! The laptop dock is less than a netbook, which is useless these days. Bottom line is I have a digital camera, a hd video camera, an Infuse, and an actual laptop. It's just a gimic that is so under-whelming when you actually have it. Dual core is a joke at this point and 2.3 will be old news soon too.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is like the question of Digital camera or HD Video camera. It's one or the other, but really they exist independently for good reasons. I had the Atrix and the laptop dock... guess how many times I used them together...0! Sure I thought it was cool and got a good deal on them both, but the phine did the same thing with any tv with hdmi. Also pretty cool...know how many times I used that....Once! The laptop dock is less than a netbook, which is useless these days. Bottom line is I have a digital camera, a hd video camera, an Infuse, and an actual laptop. It's just a gimic that is so under-whelming when you actually have it. Dual core is a joke at this point and 2.3 will be old news soon too.
Why do you say dual core is a joke?? With And2.3 taking advantage of multi-threading and both cores, the applications will follow. As a rule hardware innovation usually leads software innovation.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Good perspective on having multiple devices. I still use my iPod Nano (3G) on a daily basis even though my Infuse can play music, too. I just like the form factor of the iPod for when I'm on foot or on the bus or out for a jog. Having said that, I am hopeful that my Infuse will allow me to pretty much leave my digital camera at home, as I am a point and shoot guy and am impressed with the photo quality I have seen so far. But yeah, a lot of times we want new stuff just cuz it's new, or the latest, or does *THIS* -- even though we'd never use it. I can happily say that I am pretty much fully utilizing my Infuse and I love it dearly. :D

cellio

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Why do you say dual core is a joke?? With And2.3 taking advantage of multi-threading and both cores, the applications will follow. As a rule hardware innovation usually leads software innovation.
I'm saying its a joke right now. Nothing out there utilizes two cores. Like the Atrix having dual cores only to run the laptop and web programs, not for normal usage. I agree its the next step, but as far as holding someone back from buying the infuse; its not a game changer yet.
Good perspective on having multiple devices. I still use my iPod Nano (3G) on a daily basis even though my Infuse can play music, too. I just like the form factor of the iPod for when I'm on foot or on the bus or out for a jog. Having said that, I am hopeful that my Infuse will allow me to pretty much leave my digital camera at home, as I am a point and shoot guy and am impressed with the photo quality I have seen so far. But yeah, a lot of times we want new stuff just cuz it's new, or the latest, or does *THIS* -- even though we'd never use it. I can happily say that I am pretty much fully utilizing my Infuse and I love it dearly. :D

I'm all for multipurpose devices, but they have to carry out every function very well to replace the original. I gladly gave up my iPod for mp3 on my phone, but I'm not much of an audiophile. I will say the Infuse has the best camera of any phone I have ever had, but it doesn't come close to my Sony A NEX. Then again the only use for camera phone pics are to show my wife a sign that there is a Latin night every Friday at my local Panda Express.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm saying its a joke right now. Nothing out there utilizes two cores. Like the Atrix having dual cores only to run the laptop and web programs, not for normal usage. I agree its the next step, but as far as holding someone back from buying the infuse; its not a game changer yet.

When IBM and Sun came out with dual core RISC servers in 2000-2001 it took the Unix software vendors several months to a year to catch up. Same thing here. Hardware, usually leads software. I really like the Infuse, but it looks like it will plummet into obsolescence by the Fall with the Photon 4G and the other dual core Smartphones, I'm afraid. The Samsung display will still be on top though.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
maybe the 'photon' is what moto boned the atrix to concentrate on. after my atrix experience, looking at the infuse to flee moto world.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yes hardware will lead to software innovation but the biggest thing here is how often do you upgrade, your device. because without question dual core is the future obviously but will it see realistic uses and implementations in phones before the specs of the phone and device become obsolete?

While it is nice to have dual core now since there is nothing wrong with it there is also nothing wrong with single core either as the infuse is proof this single core phone runs everything blazing fast. In benchmarks dual core wins yes but as there are little applications outside gaming to utilize dual core it should not be a huge deciding factor. If you plan to keep your device for 2 years yea you might want to go for dual core as it will keep the device relevant longer. However if you upgrade yearly (or multiple times a year like myself and some other enthusiasts here) the dual core technology right now is little more the a nice feature. gingerbread does a better job using dual core and ice cream sandwich will really use dual core but by that time thing of what will be out.

Either phone you cannot go wrong with hell there is not a single high end android phone on the market that is a poor choice anymore, it used to be a realistic debate as to which phone is better and they were burdoned down with manufacturer ui's but now they are fast enough where the ui has practically no effect, so in regular practices for now the photon and the infuse will stand side by side as the photon has more power but the infuse makes better use of it as it is written for single core architecture.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
In my expierence, if that Dual Core Motorola Phone puts off heat from the processor like the Atrix did, Id stick with the Infuse if I were you. That phone was blazingly fast for me. But the heat generated from the processor really killed my expierence.

tmaxey1

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
With the moto dual core phone you will have a few negatives compared to the Infuse. The first is Motoblur. This phone is reported to use the same UI as the Droid x2 and the same screen. Go to the verizon store ad spend a little time with the Droid x2. It has a dual core processor ect just like this phone will have. If you walk away loving the UI, the feel, and the screen the you should be happy for the next 2 years with it. The other factor is how much you need to play high end games. If you are a very active gamer and need to be able to play alll the latest dual core games then that phone may be a good bet for you.

As for what you will be giving up. The main thing is the screen. I know it seems simple. But in my opinion the biggest draw to this phone is the 4.5 inch super amoled plus. For myself and many user they dont want to have screen envy by settling for a Moto screen. In the screen rankings Moto is last. Samsung is 1st. Htc SuperLcd is second and LG's IPS would be third....Sorry Moto but your screens look bland with no pop.

If you fit into the gamer category and think you will actually use the Dual Core why not just buy the Evo3d? It has a SuperLCD, Same resolution, Dual Core, Sense UI. In fact I dont see a single thing better about the Moto phone over the Evo3D.

The other thing to consider is Sprint vs ATT. I am a current sprint EVO owner. It is comforting having unlimited Data. Att caps you at 2gigs. So you may want to look at your past usage to see if this could be a problem. I have never gone over the 2gigs with sprint because at 300k speeds that im stuck at it would take forever to use too much data. So even though im not "capped" i am. Im capped by the slowness. Now when i am in a 4g area my speeds are very nice. But thats the exception not the norm.

As far as realistic speeds of dual core vs single core. Its a wash. I have watched a few video comparisons of Dual vs single core and the single core Infuse is faster than the Atrix in many daily task, Just not benchmarks.

Just my opinions.

Hardcore73

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Atrix was dual core = same speed on everything as my infuse. Bought the laptop dock and the hi def lock, used them both once.
Get the infuse, you will love it.

2Munkeez

May 11, 2011
Visit site
One thing you might want to consider is the usability of the device AFTER your contract expires. I try to stick with GSM band mobiles because I travel to S.E. Asia, from time to time, and it's nicebeing able to throw a local SIM into an unlocked device then just email my friends back in the U.S. to let them know my new (local) phone number. With a CDMA device, you don't have that option.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I almost pulled the trigger on the Infuze, but decideed to hold off for a few more days, with the Photon coming out soon, the Asus Phone Pad, the HTC Sensation 1.2GHz dual core, the Trans Phone Phone & Tablet combo. There is so many new devices and changes right now I am just going to wait for another week or two. Even with the Infuse having the best display on the market.

It just seems a little outdated to purchase a single core with all the new dual core and Gingerbred support for them this summer.

tmaxey1

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I almost pulled the trigger on the Infuze, but decideed to hold off for a few more days, with the Photon coming out soon, the Asus Phone Pad, the HTC Sensation 1.2GHz dual core, the Trans Phone Phone & Tablet combo. There is so many new devices and changes right now I am just going to wait for another week or two. Even with the Infuse having the best display on the market.

It just seems a little outdated to purchase a single core with all the new dual core and Gingerbred support for them this summer.

You wont have to wait too long. To find out about a Moto with a 4.3 qhd screen and dual core just look at the droid X2 reviews......It should give you an idea of what you can expect. These companies use the same parts bins for multiple devices.

For the HTC Sensation just look for reviews all over the place for this device. The European version with Sense 3.0 has been out.... Spoiler alert......Reviews are underwhelming. Falls kind of flat.

Asus Pad Phone......no release date. No carrier info. In fact not supposed to come out until Ice Cream Sandwich version of android is out. Probably next year.

By the time you check everything off of your list a whole new batch of device rumors will come out. Its a vicious cycle.

Good Luck

element526

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
After my experience with the Atrix I would say dual core is not quite ready for prime time. The Infuse is every bit as fast as the Atrix. It doesn't get hot and the display is better imho.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte16