Initial Impressions of the HTC 10

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 Can't win (Even though I want it to)/ Ramblings of a fortysomething

I have to second the A9. I've owned lots of phones. 6p, Note 5, S6, ip6s. The A9 has been the first that I have loved. I even bent it in a car door and it will still be tough to give up when my 10 gets here. I got it cheap on Swappa, but even if I hadn't, I just love this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
What was DroidLife called out for and what was their response?

Taken from this article
Question of the Day: Why Don’t You Care About HTC Anymore?
www.droid-life.com/2016/04/11/question-day-dont-care-htc-anymore/

A commenter wrote the following in response to the question
I'm sure it's based on the articles written on this site as well.*
Almost anything htc did last year was reported with irony on this site.
...But the reactions on other android sites, and the reactions on droid life over htc related content is different. Mostly due to how things were reported about HTC from DL.

The writer then responded with
I think by saying that, you are discrediting the readers of this site. We are certainly critical of companies when they make bad products or cut massive corners or appear to give up, and that's what happened with HTC last year. But to say that the majority of our readers don't care about HTC because we are critical of their missteps seems like an attempt to avoid holding HTC accountable. They don't need excuses to be made for them, they need to be better.

Then the commenter called them out again...
....However, the tone used in every HTC article the last year was more than just that. Anything HTC did, was ridiculed one way or another. I'm not talking about M9-related stuff, but almost everything HTC did. There was a definite negative bias towards HTC on DL articles. It probably stemmed from the dissapointment of the HTC One M9.*
But really, you wouldn't find such articles at androidcentral nor androidpolice for instance.*

... And the writer's response to that was
Well good, because we don't want to be thought of as another Android site. We do our own thing and will keep it that way. :)

But again, the point you made is that you think DL readers aren't fans of HTC because you think we set a negative tone and to me, that's discrediting everyone who reads this site.*

This was a classic case of deflection here and ironically, the comments from the commenter received a lot of upvotes. I've seen the same pattern on other sites as well. Go figure.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Cuz htc didn't pay their dues so the fake paid commenters and voters strike! Also the writers tone

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: The HTC 10 is official - Initial impressions

The LG suffered from bad reviews when it was eventually released... I hope HTC 10 doesn't suffer the same build quality issues that LG G5 suffered from...

labyrinth9

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site

Wow, coming from CrackBerry, this feels like at home. lol

Totally! I want to hold out hope for HTC, but as BlackBerry has proven to us, even a great phone like the z10, z30, and an incredible OS, the public does not change their mind once they write-off a brand. I'm moving from my z30 to HTC 10.

Here is some evidence of various companies' faith in the success of the HTC 10:

1) ProclipUSA: "Unfortunately, due
to the extremely large number of devices released every year, we cannot make holders for
them all. Currently there are no plans to make a holder for the HTC 10"

2) Zagg: "At this time, I have done some research and I have found we do not currently have any news of any InvisibleShield being created for this device since it is still a fairly new product."

3) Mophie: "We traditionally have always had compatible products close to the launch of our premier partners' products. As of now, we do not have word on when and if we will be creating a wireless charging case for the HTC 10. "

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: The HTC 10 is official - Initial impressions

So, the HTC 10 is finally official, and boy, does it look good (to me anyway). Here are my very first initial impressions based on what I've seen. Note that they are always subject to change over time.

- I love the design. Although the front looks a bit like a cross between an iPhone and a recent Galaxy device, to me, it blends the best of both and it looks great in black. At the back, it reminds me a whole lot about my old One M7, AND I loved that thing to death.

- Hardware package is your basic run-of-the-mill 2016 Android flagship. Snapdragon 820 processor, 32GB of storage (possibly UFS), 4GB of memory, expandable storage with support for Marshmallow's Adoptable storage feature, a 5.2-inch QHD Super LCD 5 display and a 3000mAh battery that supports Quick Charge 3.0.

- HTC Sense continues to be my favorite third-party Android skin, and from what I've seen, the latest version of Sense seems to be blending in the best of stock Android while retaining many parts of HTC's design. Performance looks to be extremely snappy (Sense has usually been one of the snappiest skins when it comes to Android) and I think it looks good in stock form. Don't like the way it looks? There's a theme engine for that.

- Ah, but we can't talk about a HTC flagship without mentioning the camera. Well, looks like the 10 might be the first HTC flagship in a while with a competitive camera. The 10 looks to be packing in the same 12MP Sony IMX377 unit from the Nexus 6P, featuring 1.55-micron pixels for better low-light performance. It's paired up with an f/1.8 aperture and OIS. Interestingly, the front camera is 5MP with a 1.34-micron pixel size, along with OIS. Yep, OIS on the front camera. Based on the hardware, looks like HTC nailed the sweet spot for the camera. Let's hope the software processing is up to snuff.

- No dual stereo speakers on the front. But, there's a stereo 24-bit DAC and an improved headphone amplifier. Audio that isn't 24-bit can also be upscaled by the software. Looks like it ain't a slouch in audio.

- It also has USB Type-C. Looks to be based on USB 3.1 Gen 1. Much faster data transfer speeds? We hope.

- A 3000mAh battery + QHD display. Seems like a recipe for average battery life, but given that the One M8 lasted pretty damn long on a measly 2600mAh cell, maybe this might last longer than we expect. QC 3.0 is onboard if you run low on battery during the day, though.

Overall, I am liking this phone. Wondering what everyone else thinks of it.

Great advertising for htc

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
If HTC's in such bad shape, it's interesting that Google is considering them to make the next version of their Nexus line ...
The Android rumor mill has decided: HTC will make the next Nexus phones | The Verge

They are also considering Blackberry and hwauiai the no name China brand no one knew a year ago

They are also considering apple! Don't take anything the verge says to seriously! I'll believe it when it's at carriers.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Its why being an educated consumer versus being a Sheeple pays off. Those that do their homework versus just "buying" get what they want. This is in regard to Samsung OR HTC. If {X} phone meets your needs than unless you are nuts; buy it! However I read the "rags" and mash all the opinions together (as thats what they are) and take the average. I distill pros and cons and have a good idea what I need to look at when I get the phone in my hand to see if it meets "my" needs.

And I have seen tone for sure dealing with products. Unfortunately the average phone buyer really isn't clued in and just buys from reaction more than anything else. And thats where having a huge marketing budget pays off and where having poor reporting hurts. It doesn't take much to skew a viewpoint and then the lemmings hop on.

HTC might not recover but I would be willing to bet those bashing now will lament the "lack of choices" in the future. M9 was a complete stinker. I almost walked away from any hope of buying a HTC phone. However because my current HTC phone keeps chugging along; that good feeling swayed me back. In a few hours I will have a 10 in my hand and Ill either be plunking down my hard earned money or shaking my head going why... :)

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
That is true, from everything reported on the 10, it looks to be a good camera. I really like HTC phones, but I haven't owned one since the M7. I always thought that they were over priced in relation to their shortcomings. But since I posted, I have now seen the camera performance and the reviews on the 10 and the camera still falls short of the S7, G5, V10. I would put it a equal or a notch below the 6P, so that is a good camera. In every other way, it is equal to or better then everything else out there.

I think the phone is going to be a big success for HTC. They deserve it. They listened to their customers, worked hard to make it right. It will be the phone I get if HTC makes it available unlocked. The camera is good enough for me. After seeing the reviews I feel confident there are no hidden gremlins.

To each their own. I feel like the Samsung phones are overpriced given their many shortcomings.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

hwauiai the no name China brand no one knew a year ago

Correction - the brand that NOBODY IN THE U.S. KNOWS. Huawei has been around in China and Europe for years. A brand isn't "no name" just because it isn't big in America. The world is bigger than just America...
Just saying.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Correction - the brand that NOBODY IN THE U.S. KNOWS. Huawei has been around in China and Europe for years. A brand isn't "no name" just because it isn't big in America. The world is bigger than just America...
Just saying.

Judging by all the YouTube 6p bend tests seems like their engineering is still in its infancy phase

Worshipper

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

Judging by all the YouTube 6p bend tests seems like their engineering is still in its infancy phase

Actually the bending isnt common to their other phones. There were some early rumors circulating last year that Google ogle didn't really give Huawei as much time as they're used to for developing the 6p so they may have rushed the reinforcement of the body and design of the phone around the volume button areas in order to release the phone on time. The other rumor that was circulating was that Huawei was trying to keep their phone under the price range given by Google so that resulted in a cheaper frame. I'm unsure which rumor is true if any of it is true but I do know that Huawei usually makes some good stuff and their phones are usually rock solid in build quality. For example, I know I love my Huawei watch. I sold my gear s2 on ebay due to the wrist strap issue and lack of apps and Huawei's watch has been performing like a champ from day one. I also didn't like how Samsung removed many of the best features from the s2 that was in previous gear watches but still jacked up the price.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Bend tests are ridiculous. In every one the person has to forcefully push really hard at a central point to get it to "bend". This is no way a reflection of real life usage.

If anything I could make a shatter drop test and drop phones from a 10 story roof .. I bet no phone will survive. Does that mean they are bad at design? No .. It means they build for real life scenarios not "let's do something totally off the wall and then act shocked at the results" scenarios.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site

Just saying.

Well said.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

Your reply didn't really relate to the point of my comment (that cracking America isn't the barometer by which we measure if a company is "no name" or not). You just decided to criticise Huawei instead. Sure Huawei phones can - and do have problems. Same as any other phone manufacturer has problems. And if you're going to talk about bending, Apple's iPhone 6 bent in people's pockets, so I'm not sure what your point is there. I guess Apple must just be a two bit company too in your eyes huh? You still seem to have something against Huawei just because they're not big in the US. America's beloved Apple have sure had their problems in the past, with the aforementioned "bendgate" and remember the iPhone 4 which you had to hold in a certain way or you lost your signal!!!! So yeah, I don't know what you're trying to prove with your comments, other than continuing to prove your ignorance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000