Initial Impressions of the HTC 10

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: The HTC 10 is official - Initial impressions

Not for Verizon and Sprint.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
I still wonder why it doesn't work. Maybe Verizon created a new check, where only phones covered in Big Red logos can connect successfully?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 - My thoughts vs the competition

There's been a bit of talk about how much HTC is charging for the 10, and who it competes with. Everyone's comparing it to today's flagships, which makes some sense (it's HTC's current flagship) but also might not. I just went through an agonizing couple of days trying to decide and justify my decision in my head...I did end up succumbing to and preordering the 10. I thought I'd share some of my thought process with the site, as it might help some people to understand the niche HTC is in here.

Galaxy S7/Edge - Obviously the first alternative for most people, understandably. I bought a GS6 last year, and really really tried to give Sammy a chance, but ultimately I can't stand TouchWIZ and it won't get out of my way. Plus, I don't find the glass backs all that premium-feeling, they feel more fragile instead. Great camera and UFS don't make up for these things, not enough anyway. Disqualified.

LG G5 - I used to love LG, I might have married my G2 a while back, but they've gone slowly downhill since then. Their UX has gotten as bad as Samsung with the bloat and not getting out of the way. And they ditched the rear mounted buttons that I loved. The add-on modules seem gimmiky, and it's been tried before: you can only get away with a proprietary add-on interface if you've got the market share of a Samsung or an Apple. They should have gone with USB-C host or something. Pass.

Nexus Line - I currently own a Nexus 6, and love the idea of a light-to-nonexistent skin. Unfortunately, the current Nexuses are on 2005 (fake) Snapdragons, also known as Crapdragons. ;) Plus, Nexus generally don't have SD slots, meaning no adoptable storage. There's a reason I haven't bought FF9 yet after all. Not to mention, as clean as they are, Nexuses are NOT the most stable of devices (I have to reboot mine once a week or it loses T-Mobile WFC or LTE capability until I do). Finally, their 5.2 inch device is really short of being a true flagship. And while I like the Nexus 6 well enough. I'm out of space on it, and it's a BIT too big for me, my sweet spot is 5.2-5.5 inches.

Moto X - I've been hearing a few baaad stories coming out of Lenovorola lately, I'm not sure what's going on with them. But for some reason they're not including WiFi Calling in their Android builds, and that's a non-starter for me. I can't live without that feature.

And now back around to the HTC 10...ok we've got a 5.2 inch phone, so we're in the right size range. It's a custom skin, but it's closer to Moto/Nexus than TouchWIZ by far. Unlike Nexus, it's got an SD slot. Unlike Sammy/LG, it's got Adoptable Storage on the SD slot. It's got very good speaker audio for when I'm playing games, speakerphoning, or video calling.

Adoptable storage is a biggie, do you realize the ONLY ones doing that are HTC and NVIDIA? The only other lightly skinned phones don't support SD slots? The only other phones that do support SD slots are heavily skinned and don't support Adoptable Storage? That's HTC's niche, right there. It's an enthusiast niche, for the most part, but enthusiasts are more likely to know about HTC than Joe Bloe. Will it suddenly turn HTC around? No, but it's a place to start, and to build from.

agree with most of your reasoning, but a couple things. are you talking about the 5x or 6p? cause the 810 on the 6p is awesome, there's really no big difference between that and the 820, as Google really got it's previous issues under control. There are some things people might not like about the 6p, but I haven't read a review or personal experienced any issues at all with the 810.

And with the G5, I thought it had USB-C (a prerequisite for me since I have a 6p and MacBook, and don't want to have to carry around a micro USB).

If adoptable storage is that important, and size, and you can't stand TW (I can't either) than hopefully the HTC 10 will work. I need a work phone to replace my S4, I've been patient the past year, and I'm settling for the 10. I won't be using much media, so the smaller display is perfect for email, and work related things.

My one concern, since I'll be taking before and after shots, is that the software matches the camera software. Other than that, I absolutely love Sense, the aesthetics, audio quality via headphones, USB-C and the metal build (something I now prefer after my 6p).

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Because there are people who don't like Touchwiz and glass phones (fingerprint magnets). Many also do not want to have an iPhone.
I will get the HTC 10. I want the same build quality as an iPhone (if not better) and Android. I will never buy a Samsung product as long as they use Touchwiz and they use questionable business ethics. Never.

Posted via the Android Central App

I agree ... It's funny for some people don't realize that the reason Samsung and Apple are priced so high is because of how much they spend on marketing. The iPhone and S7 isn't $300-$400 better than the 6p, it just isn't. And IMO, though I think $599-$649 would've been better, I really can't complain with HTC's decision on pricing the 10. It's a great phone every bit comparable to the S7 and iPhone. Like I said, the difference in price is about marketing, which Samsung and Apple spend billions on, and pass that expense on to us.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 - My thoughts vs the competition

agree with most of your reasoning, but a couple things. are you talking about the 5x or 6p? cause the 810 on the 6p is awesome, there's really no big difference between that and the 820, as Google really got it's previous issues under control. There are some things people might not like about the 6p, but I haven't read a review or personal experienced any issues at all with the 810.
Just something to point out.

The SD810 in the 6P does still throttle pretty decisively under load, usually when gaming or doing any heavy tasks. It's still a bit of a toaster when it comes to thermals.

But for normal use, like web-browsing, streaming music and whatnot, then the processor seems to cope with it largely well. I used the XPERIA Z5 and 6P for a short while, both of which have the same chip, and even though it did throttle when doing processor-intensive tasks, the phone still performed well in daily-use. I guess this has more to do with the optimization of the UX rather than the processor itself.

That said, the age of the SD810 and the fiasco that came along with it has left us and in comes the age of the SD820, and it's a much brighter picture.

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: The HTC 10 is official - Initial impressions

What's up with not being able to order the 64gb version, I wonder?

With adoptable storage one can have at least 232 GB Internal storage. Therefore a 64 GB or 128 GB internal storage (separate SKUs is bad business) And with both Galaxy S7 you have only 32GB internal.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how reliable the adaptable storage would be in 10 for production units. I heard from AC podcast on 10 that it's not working properly as advertised with some glitches.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how reliable the adaptable storage would be in 10 for production units. I heard from AC podcast on 10 that it's not working properly as advertised with some glitches.
It seems to work fine on my SHIELD K1. I doubt NVIDIA changed the code much if at all, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on the HTC.

What's really surprising is that those two are the only ones giving us the option of using SD cards for adaptable storage.

sal2726

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
HTC 10 Can't win (Even though I want it to)/ Ramblings of a fortysomething

Why HTC can’t win (and other Android arguments)

I made the jump from Apple to Android in 2014, when I saw HTC release the M8. In comparison to my iPhone 5, it was the most beautiful smartphone I had ever seen. The metal body, larger screen, excellent camera (vs. iPhone at the time) was all it took. I knew nothing about Android, other than “that was what you got when you couldn’t afford an iPhone”. That thing was incredible. Everything about it blew me away. Switching information over from the iPhone was a breeze. Once I made the change, I’m hooked on Android. So, why don’t more people do it? When arguably many devices running Android are better in specs and performance? Because Apple has positioned itself as THE premium device, and everyone believes it. Outside of the younger demographic that reads Android Central and the like, all you know is Apple. Everyone has one. (At a Super Bowl party this year, with roughly 75 people in attendance, I was the only person in the house without an iPhone.) You don’t switch, because it’s a pain the @ss to explain to everyone you know why you are switching to another device. I’m 40 years old, and my friends fall into that age group. It took me 6 months to get all my friends to understand that they can’t iMessage me anymore. I had to walk most of them through the process of going into their settings and enabling Send/Receive SMS. Most people don’t want to fool with that headache. And to tell you the truth, the average user doesn’t care about most things that Android offers. 95% of the general public doesn’t understand why you would want an unlocked phone, or be able to unlock the bootloader, or flash custom ROM’s, or install Cyanogen Mod. And frankly, most of it doesn’t apply to me either. I’m running my girls to cheer or golf practice, or drinking a beer while I watch the Walking Dead. Not trying to unlock my bootloader.
Now, on to HTC. I don’t think I qualify as an HTC “fanboy”, but I am partial to their devices. I have owned an M8, M9, A9, and my 10 is on pre-order. I have also owned an LG G3, and G4. (I have never been able to get on board with Samsung. While they are currently the King of Android, I just don’t like them, but that is a tirade for another day). All of these devices were great phones. They all had their own strengths and shortcomings. I will lose any credibility beyond this point, but the A9 is my favorite of the bunch. I’ll touch on that later. After reading a few hundred articles, and untold user comments, I have come to the conclusion that HTC is doomed. Doomed I Say! Not because of their devices, but because of us. Take the M9 for example. By all counts this was a great phone. Beautiful design, feels great in the hand, performs like a champ. But due to a camera that in comparison to the G4, was subpar, and an issue with the 810 overheating, this phone was crucified. The M9 was a “total piece of garbage, and you should kill yourself if you were stupid enough to buy this phone”. Come on people. In order for the 10 to be a successful device, it has to fulfill a wish list a mile long. This phone better have a QHD Amoled screen, be fully waterproof, front facing stereo speakers, wireless charging, removable battery, Qualcomm Quick charge 6.0, USB C, Snapdragon 2000 processor, 15 GB of RAM, no black bar at bottom, ship with Android Q, have a Canon EOS Mark III camera in it, and have a laser that will disintegrate anyone with an iPhone. If it had all that, it MIGHT be able to compete with the S7Edge. The 10 has been a HUGE improvement over the M9, and seems to be a fantastic device. People underestimate how great UH OH protection is as well. But it still won’t be enough. Some guy wrote a comment about “any company that would remove front facing speakers must have mush for brains”, and copied and pasted it to every HTC article on the internet. I know you’ve read it. I don’t think any phone released by HTC, no matter the specs, will be enough to satisfy everybody. If you buy anything but an Edge, you are an uneducated fanboy with “mush for brains”.
OK, let’s talk A9. Just for a minute. This phone is great. It is without question an iPhone clone. I don’t care who copied who initially, or what you say about “natural evolution of design language.” It looks like iPhone 6, not like an M7, M8, or M9. Put it to rest. But you know what, I don’t care. This phone just flat out works. Small battery? Check. Lesser processor? Check. No FF stereo speakers? Check. It doesn’t matter. The screen is better than any previous HTC screen. It absolutely flies during day to day use. It’s faster than the M9. It’s a beautiful phone, IMHO. The fingerprint scanner works great. The camera is better than any previous HTC device. Does it compete with the S7? Of course not. I have had zero issue with the battery getting through a full days use. (I’ve already told you my age, so I will concede I don’t spend 2 hours a day playing Asphalt 8, whatever that is). Mine is unlocked, and I can say the updates are timely. Much better than waiting for ATT&T to upgrade my M9 to Marshmallow. I am sure the 10 will take its place when it gets here, but put specs aside and actually use an A9, and it will show you specs aren’t everything. Admittedly, the price isn’t ideal, but after having used for a few months, it was worth it. But it still gets trashed. Another HTC piece of garbage from a dying company.
I’m not banking on the HTC 10 to save the company, but man I hope it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 Can't win (Even though I want it to)/ Ramblings of a fortysomething

It is true the 10 might be the last htc and my first. I will grab one in 6-8 months to replace my priv.

Even if htc crashes and its a fire sale ill still buy it

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Why HTC can’t win (and other Android arguments)

I made the jump from Apple to Android in 2014, when I saw HTC release the M8. In comparison to my iPhone 5, it was the most beautiful smartphone I had ever seen. The metal body, larger screen, excellent camera (vs. iPhone at the time) was all it took. I knew nothing about Android, other than “that was what you got when you couldn’t afford an iPhone”. That thing was incredible. Everything about it blew me away. Switching information over from the iPhone was a breeze. Once I made the change, I’m hooked on Android. So, why don’t more people do it? When arguably many devices running Android are better in specs and performance? Because Apple has positioned itself as THE premium device, and everyone believes it. Outside of the younger demographic that reads Android Central and the like, all you know is Apple. Everyone has one. (At a Super Bowl party this year, with roughly 75 people in attendance, I was the only person in the house without an iPhone.) You don’t switch, because it’s a pain the @ss to explain to everyone you know why you are switching to another device. I’m 40 years old, and my friends fall into that age group. It took me 6 months to get all my friends to understand that they can’t iMessage me anymore. I had to walk most of them through the process of going into their settings and enabling Send/Receive SMS. Most people don’t want to fool with that headache. And to tell you the truth, the average user doesn’t care about most things that Android offers. 95% of the general public doesn’t understand why you would want an unlocked phone, or be able to unlock the bootloader, or flash custom ROM’s, or install Cyanogen Mod. And frankly, most of it doesn’t apply to me either. I’m running my girls to cheer or golf practice, or drinking a beer while I watch the Walking Dead. Not trying to unlock my bootloader.
Now, on to HTC. I don’t think I qualify as an HTC “fanboy”, but I am partial to their devices. I have owned an M8, M9, A9, and my 10 is on pre-order. I have also owned an LG G3, and G4. (I have never been able to get on board with Samsung. While they are currently the King of Android, I just don’t like them, but that is a tirade for another day). All of these devices were great phones. They all had their own strengths and shortcomings. I will lose any credibility beyond this point, but the A9 is my favorite of the bunch. I’ll touch on that later. After reading a few hundred articles, and untold user comments, I have come to the conclusion that HTC is doomed. Doomed I Say! Not because of their devices, but because of us. Take the M9 for example. By all counts this was a great phone. Beautiful design, feels great in the hand, performs like a champ. But due to a camera that in comparison to the G4, was subpar, and an issue with the 810 overheating, this phone was crucified. The M9 was a “total piece of garbage, and you should kill yourself if you were stupid enough to buy this phone”. Come on people. In order for the 10 to be a successful device, it has to fulfill a wish list a mile long. This phone better have a QHD Amoled screen, be fully waterproof, front facing stereo speakers, wireless charging, removable battery, Qualcomm Quick charge 6.0, USB C, Snapdragon 2000 processor, 15 GB of RAM, no black bar at bottom, ship with Android Q, have a Canon EOS Mark III camera in it, and have a laser that will disintegrate anyone with an iPhone. If it had all that, it MIGHT be able to compete with the S7Edge. The 10 has been a HUGE improvement over the M9, and seems to be a fantastic device. People underestimate how great UH OH protection is as well. But it still won’t be enough. Some guy wrote a comment about “any company that would remove front facing speakers must have mush for brains”, and copied and pasted it to every HTC article on the internet. I know you’ve read it. I don’t think any phone released by HTC, no matter the specs, will be enough to satisfy everybody. If you buy anything but an Edge, you are an uneducated fanboy with “mush for brains”.
OK, let’s talk A9. Just for a minute. This phone is great. It is without question an iPhone clone. I don’t care who copied who initially, or what you say about “natural evolution of design language.” It looks like iPhone 6, not like an M7, M8, or M9. Put it to rest. But you know what, I don’t care. This phone just flat out works. Small battery? Check. Lesser processor? Check. No FF stereo speakers? Check. It doesn’t matter. The screen is better than any previous HTC screen. It absolutely flies during day to day use. It’s faster than the M9. It’s a beautiful phone, IMHO. The fingerprint scanner works great. The camera is better than any previous HTC device. Does it compete with the S7? Of course not. I have had zero issue with the battery getting through a full days use. (I’ve already told you my age, so I will concede I don’t spend 2 hours a day playing Asphalt 8, whatever that is). Mine is unlocked, and I can say the updates are timely. Much better than waiting for ATT&T to upgrade my M9 to Marshmallow. I am sure the 10 will take its place when it gets here, but put specs aside and actually use an A9, and it will show you specs aren’t everything. Admittedly, the price isn’t ideal, but after having used for a few months, it was worth it. But it still gets trashed. Another HTC piece of garbage from a dying company.
I’m not banking on the HTC 10 to save the company, but man I hope it does.

TL:dr you do realize that 1 out of 75 android users is either a gross exaggeration or the equivalent of winning the powerball right? There are far more android devices in circulation than iPhone. Just sayin...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I concur. It's as if nothing HTC does will ever be good enough. They are always under the gun. If it's not a certain group of fanboys constantly trolling their articles with their rhetoric, then you'll have some editors who are trashing them at every opportunity (even DroidLife tried justifying it when they were called out for it). I too think HTC will exit the smartphone market at some point, sadly.

sal2726

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site

I would agree with you. I have friends in other circles that have Android devices, but within that particular setting (that party), everyone uses an iPhone. Even the kids are walking around with iPhone 6's. Android phones are just not recognized. Small town in KY though, so not an ideal control group :) Sorry, the response is for Mdbills484, still figuring out posting

I would also say with confidence, that I was the only one there that opened an account on Android Central just to post about their phone choices. Most of them could care less about other options, you just buy an iPhone like everyone else

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
HTC 10 Can't win (Even though I want it to)/ Ramblings of a fortysomething

I concur. It's as if nothing HTC does will ever be good enough. They are always under the gun. If it's not a certain group of fanboys constantly trolling their articles with their rhetoric, then you'll have some editors who are trashing them at every opportunity (even DroidLife tried justifying it when they were called out for it). I too think HTC will exit the smartphone market at some point, sadly.

What was DroidLife called out for and what was their response?

I hate how everything is bashing the 10 for not being IP68. It's like that's the only thing that matters. Sony has been doing it forever, but now that Samsung has it, every phone that doesn't isn't as good. I have ruined a grand total of ZERO phones because of water. Since 1998 when I got my first cell phone. And the 10 has Uh Oh (if you buy from HTC), so it's not like you're left in the dark if you destroy it.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

Wow, coming from CrackBerry, this feels like at home. lol

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site

My wife and I have had nothing but HTC phones since we've been on Android - the M7, M8, and M9. Although the experience hasn't been perfect, it has been pretty good.

However, my latest gripe is that HTC is essentially ignoring its promise. They told their users that if they took care of their phone and didn't use the Uh Oh Protection, they'd get $100 off.

... which they now don't. They don't allow "combining" discounts. If someone wants an HTC 10, it doesn't matter if he or she has trashed their M9 and used the Uh Oh protection. It doesn't even matter if they've never owned an HTC phone. That buyer can just use the HTC1008 coupon discount like everyone else can, and get $100 off. What HTC should do, is honor their agreement by allowing the use of both discounts.

Moves like this by HTC don't help us loyal customers feel well treated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29