[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Just bought a new LG G4 for Verizon. Also gave me the "Keep Current Plan Option". Just put my current sim into it and it works fine. Bought it for $199 + Tax = $250. Also got a $150 Best Buy gift card. So far my contract on my UDP has been left intact and extended my contract 2 years thereby avoiding the new $20 extra charge.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Just bought a new LG G4 for Verizon. Also gave me the "Keep Current Plan Option". Just put my current sim into it and it works fine. Bought it for $199 + Tax = $250. Also got a $150 Best Buy gift card. So far my contract on my UDP has been left intact and extended my contract 2 years thereby avoiding the new $20 extra charge.
When did you make the order?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

How did you get that gift card?

zoxxo

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm asking this for a friend. He has UDP on his phone, but he's not the primary account holder. Would he be able to use the BB method to upgrade his phone and lock in UDP? While he's not the primary account holder, he does have admin privileges on the account...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Seriously I'm hoping someone has been through this and can help me help my friend...

GTiceman

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Seriously I'm hoping someone has been through this and can help me help my friend...

You should use the SlickDeals thread mentioned here and I will throw it in again for good measure as the OP is not complete.

The SlickDeals Definitive UDP Thread

Short answer as long as he has admin rights and doesn't go into the store and destroys the SIM before turning the phone on ... yes

desisangel

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Success! I would like to thank you so much for all of your help! !!!! I am now quoting from my new Samsung Galaxy S6 on my unlimited data plan! For a run through how I accomplished the task with all of the information from this post!
Best buy was a no go as well as any store with verizon in its name lol first I went to staples but some of them don't carry the s6 yet and the ones that do only carry the 32gb model. Next went to sams club and watched as he did everything on the computer which was exactly as it was explained here. I think bestbuy and other var stores have a different software or something because his was just like if you were to log into your verizon account. So I transferred L1 UDP upgrade to L2 TDP and activated it right there at the store. Then I brought the iPhone 5 to a VAR and had them activate my wife's "OLD" iPhone 5c since the sim card from my galaxy s4 was a micro. After about 2 hours I went to verizon online to swap phones on line 1&2 but it said I couldn't because there was a pending activation. Then the little chat window popped up with verizon customer service rep asking if he could assist me I asked if he could swap phones and he did! That's my success story
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64gb UDP contract end date 5/10/2017! $386 not including accessories tax and upgrade fees

Has anyone else had luck with Sams Club? Wondering if I could lock in my UDP on the 14th with their promo prices...

Greensoldier

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Please help: On October 31 I went to the verizon store to look at the new turbo 2. I loved it and informed the sales person that I would like to purchase it at full price since I have unlimited. He told me not to worry and just upgrade and I would not lose it. I knew he was misinformed and ended the conversation. I then went online and ordered the phone on the verizon site - purchased the new phone and new line under my father's name. Surfing the web I ended up on this site and now it turns out Verizon is going to increase my fee $20...for unlimited; I never received a letter or email!
This is my status of service: 700 min - 500 text - unlimited data: LINE 1 Casio Gzone 4G and LINE 2 basic flip phone (no data).
Step 1: Turbo 2 that i paid full price on verizon: cancel service that I got when buying phone full price (under my dad's name) then call verizon and swap Gzone with Turbo2 on my line that has unlimited.
Step 2: go to BB and upgrade the line that has the flip phone with an Iphone 6. Get the Iphone 6 destroy simm card and resell Iphone6. Then not get charged the $20.oo month for data for 2years.
Does this sound correct?

alg35

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi all. Long time lurker and reader of hundreds of pages and appreciate every bit. About to jump into the best buy method, but the very first screen after I select my phone asks for my VZW account info. From what I've read, if I provide this info I'll lose my UPD. Is this still the case, or should I provide VZW info and proceed? With so many pages, it's hard to find the exact right answer in a timely fashion. Many thanks!!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Hi all. Long time lurker and reader of hundreds of pages and appreciate every bit. About to jump into the best buy method, but the very first screen after I select my phone asks for my VZW account info. From what I've read, if I provide this info I'll lose my UPD. Is this still the case, or should I provide VZW info and proceed? With so many pages, it's hard to find the exact right answer in a timely fashion. Many thanks!!
That's why I was trying to get simeone to do screenshots of each step in process so if I saw something not in proper sequence etc I would know to bail.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

If you don't want to pay the extra $20/month for unlimited data you would need to cancel your UDP. If you want to keep your UDP just swap in the Turbo2 to your account and you are all set.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Can someone who has successfully done the tdp udp swap BB method in the last week tell us exactly what info BB on line asked you for and is safe to give them? It appears they are asking for more info but I don't know since I've never done it before. I would imagine they need name address and phone number of tdp phone I am upgrading. Do they ask for vzw account number or social security number or any other personal info that they didn't used to ask for?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Please help: On October 31 I went to the verizon store to look at the new turbo 2. I loved it and informed the sales person that I would like to purchase it at full price since I have unlimited. He told me not to worry and just upgrade and I would not lose it. I knew he was misinformed and ended the conversation. I then went online and ordered the phone on the verizon site - purchased the new phone and new line under my father's name. Surfing the web I ended up on this site and now it turns out Verizon is going to increase my fee $20...for unlimited; I never received a letter or email!
This is my status of service: 700 min - 500 text - unlimited data: LINE 1 Casio Gzone 4G and LINE 2 basic flip phone (no data).
Step 1: Turbo 2 that i paid full price on verizon: cancel service that I got when buying phone full price (under my dad's name) then call verizon and swap Gzone with Turbo2 on my line that has unlimited.
Step 2: go to BB and upgrade the line that has the flip phone with an Iphone 6. Get the Iphone 6 destroy simm card and resell Iphone6. Then not get charged the $20.oo month for data for 2years.
Does this sound correct?

That should work as long as during step 2 you transfer the upgrade from the unlimited to the basic line. You need to use that upgrade in order to not get hit with the $20 charge.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Provide the Verizon info and proceed. The only time you do not provide the information is if you get an email from Best Buy indicating that something is wrong with the order and you need to call them. If you are just beginning the process of upgrading, you need to provide the Verizon information so that Best Buy knows who you are and can allow the upgrade to happen.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

If you don't want to pay the extra $20/month for unlimited data you would need to cancel your UDP. If you want to keep your UDP just swap in the Turbo2 to your account and you are all set.

Please do not give this advice on this thread. The whole purpose of this thread is to upgrade while maintaining an UDP. By doing this, the line goes under contract and allows people to not pay the extra $20 a month for two extra years.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Can someone who has successfully done the tdp udp swap BB method in the last week tell us exactly what info BB on line asked you for and is safe to give them? It appears they are asking for more info but I don't know since I've never done it before. I would imagine they need name address and phone number of tdp phone I am upgrading. Do they ask for vzw account number or social security number or any other personal info that they didn't used to ask for?

Just go to their upgrade checker (https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat21201&type=page&upgrade=true) and provide the phone number of the tiered line. The billing zip code, last 4 of SSN, and Billing System Password is all standard stuff. They need to verify that the line can be upgraded. If not, they will check to see if there is an upgrade available on a different line that can be transferred to the tiered line.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

This thread has gotten impossibly long....

I'm assuming that if I have an upgrade available on a UDP line, I can still transfer that to a TDP, upgrade (Turbo 2), activate the new phone on the TDP, turn it off and then reactivate the old phone on the TDP, and my new Turbo 2 will be available for use on my UDP? This is how I have done it before. I'm assuming this still works, but I don't have time to read through all 430+ pages here...

This should also then put the UDP on a 2 year contract (yes, that's how I ordered the phone on VZW), so I can avoid the coming $20/month upcharge for UDP?

blibblab

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Also sorry to ask if this has already been answered, but it was a little unclear - I ordered a Note 5 via the BBM, got the SIM from the phone and destroyed it. My plan is to sell it on swappa and use the money to buy a 6P. Do I have to wait until the PA on my one-line UDP account clears to sell? Or to activate the 6P?

Thanks!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Based on some previous comments, it sounds like the BB method is still putting people on 2 year contracts when upgrading your UDP line directly via switching out sim cards after phone is delivered.

What about transferring upgrades thru Verizon's site? Can anyone confirm their UDP line is being put on a 2 year contract after transferring upgrades? I'm getting ready to do this but I'm looking for confirmation.

Only reason I'm worried is because I transferred my UDP line's upgrade in Dec. and it stayed month to month. It was awesome at the time but now everyone is trying to get on a contract, weird how that worked out. : /

Two days ago I ordered a T2 DBY 64 Gb by transferring an upgrade from a UDP to a TDP and ordering for the TDP line. The TDP line did not have an upgrade available, obviously. Checking today, I can confirm that there is no longer an upgrade available on the UDP line. That line now says "Upgrade not applicable", instead of "Upgrade not available". I'm guessing this was my last upgrade on the UDP line.

This should allow me to avoid the 2 year, $20/month increase that starts on the 15th.

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

This thread has gotten impossibly long....

I'm assuming that if I have an upgrade available on a UDP line, I can still transfer that to a TDP, upgrade (Turbo 2), activate the new phone on the TDP, turn it off and then reactivate the old phone on the TDP, and my new Turbo 2 will be available for use on my UDP? This is how I have done it before. I'm assuming this still works, but I don't have time to read through all 430+ pages here...

This should also then put the UDP on a 2 year contract (yes, that's how I ordered the phone on VZW), so I can avoid the coming $20/month upcharge for UDP?

You are right on the money.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Also sorry to ask if this has already been answered, but it was a little unclear - I ordered a Note 5 via the BBM, got the SIM from the phone and destroyed it. My plan is to sell it on swappa and use the money to buy a 6P. Do I have to wait until the PA on my one-line UDP account clears to sell? Or to activate the 6P?

Thanks!

You can sell it right away. As for activating the new 6p, if you already have a nano SIM card, you can just put it in the 6p. If you need a new SIM card, you'll need to wait until the pending activation goes away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796