Loud screech/static randomly

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else get random full volume screeches/static pops when using the phone? It only seems to happen if I am or recently was using a video or audio app like YouTube or a news stream. It's just a sudden extremely loud, but short burst that scares the crap out of you. It happens through the phone's speaker if not connected to Bluetooth and also on the Bluetooth's speakers if connected. It never does it if I'm not doing anything else with the phone, only if I'm interacting with the screen. Doesn't matter what volume anything is set to on the phone either, the screech is always at max levels. It's the only problem with the phone so far. Happens once or twice a day maybe.

hannarom

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Anyone else get random full volume screeches/static pops when using the phone? It only seems to happen if I am or recently was using a video or audio app like YouTube or a news stream. It's just a sudden extremely loud, but short burst that scares the crap out of you. It happens through the phone's speaker if not connected to Bluetooth and also on the Bluetooth's speakers if connected. It never does it if I'm not doing anything else with the phone, only if I'm interacting with the screen. Doesn't matter what volume anything is set to on the phone either, the screech is always at max levels. It's the only problem with the phone so far. Happens once or twice a day maybe.

Yes, I have had this happen as well, however not only limited to the V30 I currently have. I have experienced it on my previous S7 Edge also. One thing which seems to limit it from happening (regularly or altogether) is by disabling Chrome. Someone had mentioned it in another forum and since trying it, it seems to have done the trick. I think this is something inherent with Android rather than LG. I hope Oreo fixes it because it has borderline damaged my hearing as well as a lot of my very pricey headphones. Surprised no one has responded to you prior as I would have thought this was a very widespread issue.

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it really scares the crap out of you it's so random and loud. It's like the phone thinks I'm living in a bad horror movie and takes it upon itself to give me a cheap jump scare. If others have experienced it, they'd know it, as it's not subtle.

I'll try disabling Chrome to see if it works. Can't see that as a long term solution though since that's my main browser, but it would be nice to narrow it down.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My goodness! How freaky! And it also happens when you have speakers on? That could really hurt your hearing! How long have you had the V30 - I feel like this is grounds for getting a replacement. That shouldn't be happening to you.

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My goodness! How freaky! And it also happens when you have speakers on? That could really hurt your hearing! How long have you had the V30 - I feel like this is grounds for getting a replacement. That shouldn't be happening to you.

I've had my V30 since the first week they were released. It's a software issue, not a hardware issue since it also does it over Bluetooth connected speakers, so a replacement wouldn't fix anything. I'm not sure it's even specific to V30's. I can easily see it blowing out the phone's speakers or other speakers though. Love the phone though aside from this issue. Wish LG was better with updates.

timex987987

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I have the same issue as well.

I'm spotting a 2016 Google Pixel 1, and I use it with the Shure RMCE-BT2 Bluetooth Adapter, powering Shure SE846 Earbuds.

The bluetooth audio stream seems to be all fine and dandy, then BSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The loud static persists until I pause whatever I'm listening to for a few seconds, then resume. After that, it has a chance to start up again within a few minutes, or never again for that sitting.

After reading countless posts on the matter, I tried the fixes people have reported on various forums; disabling Chrome's geolocation services, not using Chrome flat out, and so forth. I even made sure to close any recently used apps to make sure that, if it was another app, it wouldn't be impacting it.

Unfortunately, for me, I didn't even have to be using Chrome to get blasted. I tested using singular apps, like YouTube and Spotify by themselves, and I still got blasted. Freshly restarting the phone and going straight to the media app I wanted to use, without touching any other app, didn't work as well. Eventually got blasted.

I started to wonder if the Shure RMCE-BT2 was defective, but connecting it to my computer and using it to listen to music and play games for days without being blasted, blew that suspicion out of the water. I also wondered why I didn't get blasted when I connected to other bluetooth speakers in the past. During a static-blasting session on my phone, I noticed that the phone's system audio, like audio feedback while touching buttons, was distorted with loud static as well. That bit alone, along with the fact that no static-blasting occurs with other bluetooth speakers connected to my phone, leads me to believe that it's not any single app's audio stream being static-blown, nor any app that's causing the static-blasting, but rather...

...it's the mechanism related to processing the bluetooth stream itself.

I came to that conclusion after going into my phone's bluetooth developer settings and seeing which bluetooth codec was being used while connected. My Google Pixel 1 comes with Bluetooth 4.2, with support for AptX HD. The Shure RMCE-BT2 supports Bluetooth 5.0, along with various high-quality bluetooth codecs, such as AptX HD. Because the Shure bluetooth adapter supports AptX HD, the phone defaults to it. My other bluetooth speakers I tested, including my car's stereo system, all do not use AptX HD.

Accepting the conclusion that my Google Pixel 1 has a bug with AptX HD was not easy. I love the codec and how it improves the bluetooth audio streaming quality of my phone, but knowing that a static blast may be waiting around the corner really prevents me from enjoying the wireless life. I haven't found a solution to my problem as of writing this post, but I have found a way to mitigate the strength and damage of the blasts when they do occur.

I went into my phone's Developer Settings and turned on "Disable Absolute Volume", under the Bluetooth Settings. After that, I turned my phone's bluetooth volume all the way to 100%, resulting in me only utilizing the bluetooth earbuds' native volume control to control volume instead. That way, when a static blast does occur, the blast won't be at true 100% volume to my ears. The blast always occurs at 100% volume to the broadcasting device, but if the receiving device's volume is at 40%, the blast will only be at 40% volume relative to you.

It sucks...but at least with this discovery, remedy to the problem, and the near-infinite wait until the next potential update to my phone's bluetooth software drops, the wireless life is still quite enjoyable until the next banshee opera starts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnanthRam