Microphone working for some apps and not others

Tabilynn92

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
Ok so at some point after an update my "ok Google" stopped hearing me and the voice texting would stay at listeming as if I wasnt talking until it gave up and then at some point maybe simultaneously or not my microphone during calls started sounding to others like I was a robot or would not work at all for calls eventually. It tooke me a while to really be sure my Mic wasn't working in the AT&T phone calls with or without wificalling.
This whole time I have been assuming its likely caused by the Google assistant or somewhere in their software because I found that I could easily be herd in Hang outs app's Video Calls as well as Facebook messenger video calls. (Note that these are all in Speaker phone mode by default) By the time I figure these loopholes to use my device to talk, I also find that my Mic doesnt work for the voice recorder or for the stock video recording with my camera app.
At some point after disabling the Google assistant and turning off Ok Google detection etc. My microphone started working for phone calls on Speaker Phone ONLY,
I have done everything listed in this forum already. Yes all of it. I had factory reset the phone b4 I started disabling Google stuff and that made no change.
So after 2 software updates and 2 Google updates, the sprakerphone doesnt work anymore...
My LG g5
Useless. As a cell phone.
Also my phone has never indicated that it knows something is wrong or malfunctioning. Thwse has been no crashing of apps or error codes or auto printed feedback.
I have been dealing with tbua problem for 3 months...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Start the phone in safe mode and then test. Let us know how you make out.

Turn on safe mode
  1. With the screen on, press and hold the Power key.
  2. In the options menu that displays, press and hold Power off.
  3. 'Restart in Safe mode' prompt will display.
  4. Tap OK to restart in Safe Mode.
  5. Device will display 'Safe mode' at the bottom of the screen.

Turn off safe mode
  1. With the screen on, press and hold the Power key.
  2. In the options menu that displays, tap Power off and restart.
  3. The device will restart and Safe mode overlay will no longer show on the screen.

dukefan99

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem. My LG G5 would pick up my voice on the video function of my camera, but was intermittent on a voice phone call, and didn't work at all on the "Ok Google" function or the Voice Recorder.
This was obviously a software issue, not hardware, since the mic acted differently with different apps and functions.

I did this simple fix and it cleared everything up:
Settings
General tab: Backup & Reset
Reset Settings (NOT Factory Data Reset)

Doing this will reset your phone to original software settings, and you should not lose data or apps (but you may wish to back up anything you don't want to lose, just to be safe)
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej