Migrate to new SD card

justanumber

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Greetings!

I have spend hours trying to find correct info... Please forgive me if I did not search correct term here before asking... I tired.

Currently have a 8 gig SD card and want to replace with a 32 gig.

Have file on my current 8 gig card and need to get them to the 32 gig card.

What is the best way to move over all files and not lost data / settings?

Many thanks in advance.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Your best bet is just to copy/paste the entire contents on a computer. Or if you only have access to your phone (provided your phone has enough internal storage) is to copy everything to a temp folder in your phone from the original card, insert the new one, and then move the temp folder into your new card.

As long as there are no hidden files or encrypted stuff in there, you shouldn't lose anything in the process.

justanumber

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks SpookDroid!

I was thinking along same terms. Is there a certain format I should use on the new 32 gig card? Can format it on my computer and move all file into it that way.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can, just stay away from NTFS, as that format is MS-Proprietary and will only be read by Windows (or devices that have licensed the technology from Microsoft). The safest format is FAT32, but that will limit your file sizes to 4GB. If you plan to have larger files, I recommend you use ExFAT.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfoot715