New midprice Android phone with good camera, SD card headphone jack?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I keep on getting by with my old LG G4 because other than it's lagginess, it still checks all the boxes for me, which were good camera, removable battery and SD card, and another thing that seems to have become a rarity - a Headphone jack.

I realize a replacement battery is probably a nonexistent feature now and could live without it if the built in battery is decent, but would really like to be able to use an SD card for Music/Photos and not pay a fortune to get upgraded Internal storage that I would lose if my phone bricked. Also don't want ANOTHER possibly buggy device like wireless earbuds to fiddle with, and I often plug my phone into my stereo system, UNLESS the USB/Mini Jack adapters are great.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
In your list of preferred features there are a lot of models in that budget to mid-range category of phones still available. Items like removable batteries and headphone jacks are still around, just not in the pricey flagship models that get most of attention in the media.
The gsmarena site has a handy phone finder page that might help you as you search to replace your ailing G4. Go here, and fill in/select your preferences, and see what pops up:
https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php...m=selected&sAvailabilities=1&idBatRemovable=1
While flagship models tend to not have removable batteries nor headphone jacks, a lot of them do have some superior camera modules with more sophisticated Camera apps. So the camera aspect might be problem issue for your replacement search. Looking at the hardware specs for your G4, given it's a 2015 phone that 16MB/1.8 aperture camera module is pretty significant so finding a replacement mid-range model with an equivalent camera (hardware and software) will probably reduce your options.
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I got a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G which is pretty decent. Camera is certainly not as good as a Pixel's, but it's good enough. SD card slot, headphone jack, nice big battery. Screen is only 720p, but the A52 5G (also modestly priced) has 1080p. Performance is surprisingly good with the Mediatek Dimensity 720 5G processor.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I got a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G which is pretty decent. Camera is certainly not as good as a Pixel's, but it's good enough. SD card slot, headphone jack, nice big battery. Screen is only 720p, but the A52 5G (also modestly priced) has 1080p. Performance is surprisingly good with the Mediatek Dimensity 720 5G processor.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Samsung does seem to be a company that continues those throw back features, but why drop them on their higher spec models?

Not quite sure what's going on with my Profile. I registered when I originally bought my G5 all those years ago. My profile photo idn't showing in my responses, even though I'm logged on

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Companies tend to follow what King Apple does, and Apple decreed that headphone jacks were for cheap inelegant phones.:p One of the practical reasons would be to make the phone more water resistant, but there has been enough backlash that I think phone manufacturers are finally taking notice, as evidenced by the latest hilarious ad for the Pixel 5a:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZuSVl5wjM&t=15s

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Samsung does seem to be a company that continues those throw back features, but why drop them on their higher spec models?

Not quite sure what's going on with my Profile. I registered when I originally bought my G5 all those years ago. My profile photo idn't showing in my responses, even though I'm logged on

I believe the flagship users don't utilize the older features as much and it's used as part of a lower price value proposition to entice people from lower priced OEMs and even possibly the iOS users that aren't really fully engage in the Apple system. Once moved over, I believe the idea simply to wean users off the less utilized feature in order for a newer desired feature.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I believe the flagship users don't utilize the older features as much and it's used as part of a lower price value proposition to entice people from lower priced OEMs and even possibly the iOS users that aren't really fully engage in the Apple system. Once moved over, I believe the idea simply to wean users off the less utilized feature in order for a newer desired feature.
The designers are getting the big bucks for some kind of strategy, so must be the method to their madness rather than just letting the mid tier phone price point alone being enough to lure them in

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non