Nexus 6P initial setup -- AT&T SIM in or out?

turbocycle

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
On the Nexus 6P, does it matter if the (AT&T) SIM is installed or not during initial setup or hard reset?

On the Nexus 6, it made a difference -- if the SIM was installed, it would install some AT&T bloatware, and I believe (though I may be wrong) that it prevented timely OS updates due to the bloatware.

Since 6P isn't being sold through the carriers, I suspect it won't matter, but wanted to check if anyone has experience doing the install both ways to see if there's a difference.

Thanks!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P initial setup -- AT&T SIM in or out?

I did the initial setup on mine, VZ, with no SIM card. Not for any particular reason. I agree with Phil, It doesn't matter. But I always like to insert SIM after I'm done from my initial setup.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No bloat installed with att SIM. But you are right about the nexus 6. It did install bloat even though mine was from the play store.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6 and 6p is different. Google had tie up with carriers for selling 6 hence the bloatware. But 6p is sold unlocked with no carrier in the middle so it won't install bloat. So insert sim and setup

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have AT&T. Set up my 6p using only WiFi. Put SIM card in the next day. It's all good. There ya go!

digitaldroid

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
i am with at&t no problems all with first initial startup of phone with sim card installed. Again like others said its fully unlocked no bloatware I've even received one OTA update a few weeks ago with no problems