"No SIM Card" error on my Note 4...

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi All! Thanks for being here. Long time lurker and Android user, but not much of a contributor.

So, my issue is that my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 suddenly stopped recognizing my SIM card. I have been using mine since the day it came out. A year ago I bought a couple batteries off of Amazon and flashed LineageOS (Android 9) to the device with no issues. Used it happily until two days ago when it suddenly stopped recognizing my SIM card. The SIM card works fine in other phones. I am in the USA and use T-Mobile for my network provider.

Things I tried already:

-Using a small piece of paper to give the SIM card more pressure on the contacts
-Reset all network settings
-Wiped relevant cache
-Factory reset
-Flash new LineageOS (Android 9)
-Flash new LineageOS (Android 10)

None of these has brought back SIM functionality. I haven't damaged the device (I did drop it once the other day but it seemed fine). In the days leading up to the SIM card failure I would sometimes miss calls and texts would come through in batches once and a while.

Any suggestions? I wonder a little bit if there was a network change on T-Mobile's side...

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The fact that the card works in other devices leads me to believe the SIM card module may have crapped out on you. Can you take/send it to be tested for this? Do you have access to another SIM card to try it out, perhaps?

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming the phone has not been taken apart to check for a loose connection or previous repairs, your options are likely hardware related more than software. The fact that it was working as updated, then quit after a year, added to the drop, leads me to surmise that is the most likely culprit, unless a connector was knocked off in the drop. The intermittent functionality then failure makes that possible. If a reboot and all the other things you've done haven't cured it, that's all that's left, really. Repair or replace. :(

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Right - as predicted, my wife's SIM card did not work either. I agree with you - it must be hardware related. I also tried flashing the modem to no avail (I restored my original modem drivers eventually).

I've seen some tear-downs on YouTube... what will it take to repair this SIM card module? I will take it apart today to try and see any loose connections. I imagine buying a replacement part might be hard to do. Do you have any tips for going the repair route?

Thank you,

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Right - as predicted, my wife's SIM card did not work either. I agree with you - it must be hardware related. I also tried flashing the modem to no avail (I restored my original modem drivers eventually).

I've seen some tear-downs on YouTube... what will it take to repair this SIM card module? I will take it apart today to try and see any loose connections. I imagine buying a replacement part might be hard to do. Do you have any tips for going the repair route?

Thank you,

For the age, might be worth buying a refurbished or newer unit

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Well, I tore it down, removed the SIM/SD card reader unit, put it back, put everything back together... fired it up... and... no change haha. I will probably buy a refurbished unit as suggest by Chuck.

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Well, I tore it down, removed the SIM/SD card reader unit, put it back, put everything back together... fired it up... and... no change haha.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement part off Amazon for $7 and I also bought a refurbished unit off eBay for $105 since I love the Note 4 so much.

Thanks all for encouraging me to accept the reality that my hardware had failed.

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Well, I tore it down, removed the SIM/SD card reader unit, put it back, put everything back together... fired it up... and... no change haha. I will probably buy a refurbished unit as suggest by Chuck.

I admire that you went through all of that in the interest of science more or less.