Okay so If root I cant update my phone?

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So if I do a simple root and do the unrevoked root. Can I still do HTC updates and software updates.

I wont be anding any roms or flashing anything.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Read the link in my sig.

Short answer is, it all depends. You don't have to get your updates from sprint. The rooting community is already on android 2.3.2. I'm running it as we speak :)

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Read the link in my sig.

Short answer is, it all depends. You don't have to get your updates from sprint. The rooting community is already on android 2.3.2. I'm running it as we speak :)

I'm so interested in adding roms and flashing my phone.. but it seems so complicated you do explain what words mean lol but not how to download then install roms. I Feel like there should be a hotline for this lol like customer service :p

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks you better be right dude. I dont want to root then get bricked if i update lol

You should NEVER accept an OTA update if you're rooted or plan on rooting.

The community will have a rooted version of whatever Sprint releases within minutes of them releasing, if not before hand.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks you better be right dude. I dont want to root then get bricked if i update lol

You wont be bricked if you do an OTA update, but you WILL lose your root. Depending on the update, it's possible that you won't be able to root again after the update. (At least until someone figures out a new root method) That's why it's always best to flash a ROM based on the new update rather than do the OTA update from Sprint.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay why do people keep giving me two diffrent answers... I wont be flashing or adding roms.. its to complicated.. I just want to root and use the apps on the market

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay why do people keep giving me two diffrent answers... I wont be flashing or adding roms.. its to complicated.. I just want to root and use the apps on the market

It seems like you should stay away from rooting its not like a jalibreak where theres a whole other app market

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If your interested in flashing roms DO IT.

Ive been in the hacking community awhile, and ive abused my evo with software that you should never/will never touch and its still not bricked.
Its REALLY hard to brick an evo. and i mean REALLY hard.

To flash (install) a rom, just put it in .zip format on your sd, go into recovery and select it. reboot, done.
Rooting is really not as tough as it seems, and i know it seems intimidating when you start looking at all the different stuff.

Even if you cant boot into your phone or recovery, your still not bricked, an RUU from fastboot fixes you.

Us guys in the hacks section are really helpful if i do say so, and with us on your side, you got nothing to worry about ;)

----

To answer your question, if you root and DO NOT do ANYTHING except root and maybe use some root apps. Then you can get OTA's from sprint. Though if you accept the OTA, you will lose root-so its pointless to accept it when you could go to XDA and get a rooted version and keep root :p

Reactions: Youssef7

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay Im rooting. And I will update my phone to the next htc software or gingerbread when it comes out from sprint. No biggie right? im not going to to anything but use the apps on the market where there is a need for root.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay Im rooting. And I will update my phone to the next htc software or gingerbread when it comes out from sprint. No biggie right? im not going to to anything but use the apps on the market where there is a need for root.

Okay, take it step by step. No sweat, head over to freds rooting guide.

We will worry about the update when it comes, i doubt you will bother getting it from htc/sprint at that time tho ;)

Deep breaths ;)

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If your interested in flashing roms DO IT.

Ive been in the hacking community awhile, and ive abused my evo with software that you should never/will never touch and its still not bricked.
Its REALLY hard to brick an evo. and i mean REALLY hard.

To flash (install) a rom, just put it in .zip format on your sd, go into recovery and select it. reboot, done.
Rooting is really not as tough as it seems, and i know it seems intimidating when you start looking at all the different stuff.

Even if you cant boot into your phone or recovery, your still not bricked, an RUU from fastboot fixes you.

Us guys in the hacks section are really helpful if i do say so, and with us on your side, you got nothing to worry about ;)

----

To answer your question, if you root and DO NOT do ANYTHING except root and maybe use some root apps. Then you can get OTA's from sprint. Though if you accept the OTA, you will lose root-so its pointless to accept it when you could go to XDA and get a rooted version and keep root :p

Okay I know im being a lazy guy.. but Im not I have looked around and read and looked at roms and people give out 2 or 3 different links to roms.. I dont know what to download,

I'm about to root now as we speak so can you link me to the best 2.3 rom please?

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay I know im being a lazy guy.. but Im not I have looked around and read and looked at roms and people give out 2 or 3 different links to roms.. I dont know what to download,

I'm about to root now as we speak so can you link me to the best 2.3 rom please?

Just worry about rooting first. Unless your using unrevoked (shame) then its gonna take at least 15 mins if your starting from scratch.

All 2.3 roms dont have sense, and HDMI and 4G dont work bescause its AOSP.
4G works in CM6.1.2 tho, and will soon be in cm7, which is the best 2.3 rom.

You gotta read dude, otherwise you will be as lost as a kid in a grocery store. :p

Julez6245

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I love my rooted phone. I never have problems. I used unrevoked. (shame haha) And I usually tend to break stuff but always get things working again. If your careful and patient unlike me you'll rarely break anything. Good luck

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay well whats the best sense rom that I can use? I'm that kid thats lost right now at publix lol. I just want a link to the best rom that has sense.. and whats the point if the use the rom with sense thats 2.2 thats just extra work for nothing?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I like Ava froyo or sprint lovers, both my favorites. The newest Ava froyo is on the first page of this forum and you can google sprint lovers and easlily find it.

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Rom Manger is the new preware! lol I love root! lol I just wish i could find a rom with sense and that got all the goodies plus good battery!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nusaka