Pixel 4/XL Reviewers piling on

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I review portable audiophile gear, so I am very aware of the review process. For the audiophile side of reviewing there are a few ways to obtain product for reviewing. Pay outright, receive a discount if you review, be part of a loaner tour or receive a review sample. That said, I am not sure how it works for cellphones. I will say, very few reviewers vomit as much negativity toward product as the reviewers have toward the Pixel 4/XL. I realize that many people spend their hard earned money based on my opinion and I respect that "power" immensely. I also have a statement in the "about me" section of my blog that says, do not base your opinion solely on my subjective opinion, please research. Honestly, that is all a review is, a subjective opinion, and everyone has an opinion. My signature on one the Forums I am active on states, "When listening to TOTL none of it sucks, it all comes down to finding a signature that checks your boxes". The same would apply to handsets, the only other variables in cellphone world are carrier and ecosytem(Apple vs. Android). I also tell companies I need a minimum of a month, with 6 weeks being ideal, before I will publish a review. That way I have time to critically listen and utilize different sources, cables etc. and encounter a variety of experiences and environments with their product. I don't see this happening with cellphone reviews, many with as little time as a week.

One can wonder if the entire wave of negativity in reviews would have been different if the first couple of initial reviews had not been sucky? Sometimes reviewers are like lemmings and in this case the lemmings all have Pixel 4 in their hands as they plunge over the cliff.

I do see many shortcomings with the Pixel 4/XL. It is not perfect and I am still in my buyer's remorse period obviously so who knows if it is a keeper. However, those dedicated to the Android experience and own the Pixel 4 XL may have the best there is for pure Android. I sold a Samsung S10+ for the Pixel 4XL.

When selecting a work phone I had the option of Android or Apple. Since I am an Android guy, I chose the iPhone 7 for a different experience, and an experience I that I wasn't spending my cash on. iPhone bores me, not sure why, but it does. I fumble through getting things done even though it is a "simpler" system.

Sorry for the long winded post, without much purpose, other than to invoke thought. If you didn't have an option still available to return the device, what currently available option do you wish you had chose? How do reviewers affect your decision to purchase and your feelings once you own the product?

Last edited:

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this very thoughtful post. I had the original Pixel and really liked it way more than I expected to. I'm a Samsung girl at heart, and love the bells and whistles. However, the minimalist nature of the Pixel ended up appealing to me. That said, I wasn't really tempted by either the 2 or 3. I ordered the Pixel 4 from Google just to try out. I still have my Samsung Galaxy S10+. If I end up liking the Pixel, I will send this current one back and upgrade w/ AT&T. (I look at it as if I'm renting it for 2 weeks for $35.) I've read that even though it's not the unlocked version, it doesn't have the typical bloat that AT&T puts on every other Android phone.

There are currently things I love about it. I had the iPhone XS Max for about 6 months, and loved Face ID. That's probably the only thing I miss about the iPhone (ok, also the battery life). I love the face recognition on the Pixel. I'm using a password manager, so it's not a big deal that right now, my banks aren't supporting it. I'm hopeful that they eventually will. I'm not in love with the in-screen fingerprint on my Samsung. I also feel like I *should* keep my Samsung because it's a higher quality phone, and most reviewers also tell me that the Samsung S10 is better, lol. I have the Pixel 4 right now, but if I upgrade, I may go to the XL. However, the battery life hasn't been a problem so far. I unplug at 4:30am, and usually still have 30-40% by the time I go to bed. This weekend will be a better test because I'm a teacher, so while I do check email/texts, etc, because it's quicker than getting onto my computer, I'm not on my phone as much as on the weekends. I still have a little over a week to decide, but right now I'm up in the air about it. I've also read that the screen can be hard to read on sunny days, and i haven't had a chance to check that out yet. :'(

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Nice post. I don't get all the negative reviews. I got my 4XL to replace my 2XL Wednesday afternoon and, so far, I like it very much. My usage remains typical (~4 hours per day) and the phone ended it's first full day with about 31% remaining (the 2XL was ending at ~10%).

For me, it works. I like it. I read and watched all the negative reviews and, franky, I don't see what they're all hyperventilating about. I needed a new phone and after briefly looking at the competitors and how they are all nearing, or even exceeding the Pixel's capabilities, I realized only the Pixel line met my needs. I bought into the Pixel, and the Nexus 6P before that, for two reasons: the iPhone-like software standardization and lack of carrier bloat. Bad reviews be damned, this phone meets my needs and is better than its predecessor and to me, that's all that matters.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Nice post. I don't get all the negative reviews. I got my 4XL to replace my 2XL Wednesday afternoon and, so far, I like it very much. My usage remains typical (~4 hours per day) and the phone ended it's first full day with about 31% remaining (the 2XL was ending at ~10%).

For me, it works. I like it. I read and watched all the negative reviews and, franky, I don't see what they're all hyperventilating about. I needed a new phone and after briefly looking at the competitors and how they are all nearing, or even exceeding the Pixel's capabilities, I realized only the Pixel line met my needs. I bought into the Pixel, and the Nexus 6P before that, for two reasons: the iPhone-like software standardization and lack of carrier bloat. Bad reviews be damned, this phone meets my needs and is better than its predecessor and to me, that's all that matters.
I concur all round. Am really happy with my new phone. At first motion sense didn't work, but I think a setting I copied when I set up the phone from my pixel 2XL caused it to malfunction. I did a factory reset and set up as new and everything works as it should.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my 4XL. Days after buying it on Amazon, I started to seriously consider cancellation because of those negative reviews. In particular, one on Android Central declaring horrid battery life. I just stopped reading reviews until I got my phone. I am so glad I didn't cancel. My battery life is just fine - equal to my Pixel 3. Sure it has some quirks but nothing rises to the level of returning the phone and a lot of which will be fine-tuned with updates.

I normally don't comment on reviews but I did so on that ZDnet one. It made me question my purchase and then, after testing one of the author's claims, made me realize it's just (another) a big lie. My comment was so pointed (not rude) that the author replied to it. I subsequently pointed out his second attempt at flawed logic. I called on ZDnet to publish a correction and/or him to add something stating loads of people don't have the problem. I even acknowledged that I read a report of someone with his problem, although not widespread. But - sensational headlines and failed phones draw clicks!

I'm really enjoying the Pixel 4XL. I also jumped from the small one to this larger screen which is a bonus perk. Next time ----- I will be placing a lot less weight on reviews.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my 4XL. Days after buying it on Amazon, I started to seriously consider cancellation because of those negative reviews. In particular, one on Android Central declaring horrid battery life. I just stopped reading reviews until I got my phone. I am so glad I didn't cancel. My battery life is just fine - equal to my Pixel 3. Sure it has some quirks but nothing rises to the level of returning the phone and a lot of which will be fine-tuned with updates.

I normally don't comment on reviews but I did so on that ZDnet one. It made me question my purchase and then, after testing one of the author's claims, made me realize it's just (another) a big lie. My comment was so pointed (not rude) that the author replied to it. I subsequently pointed out his second attempt at flawed logic. I called on ZDnet to publish a correction and/or him to add something stating loads of people don't have the problem. I even acknowledged that I read a report of someone with his problem, although not widespread. But - sensational headlines and failed phones draw clicks!

I'm really enjoying the Pixel 4XL. I also jumped from the small one to this larger screen which is a bonus perk. Next time ----- I will be placing a lot less weight on reviews.
It's crazy. I'm sitting using this Pixel 4XL for the last few days after reading all these reviews and I just can't understand. I use a number of phones every year. There are always negative reviews on almost any device. I get that, but what's happening with the Pixel 4 is unreal. I read these reviews and feel like they can't possibly be using the same phone as me.

I'm far from loyal to any of these companies. I normally buy both Samsung and Apple, but at least try the Pixel every year. This is a phone I'm having a hard time putting down and my other options are a Note 10+ and iPhone 11 Pro. That has to say something about it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There are always negative reviews on almost any device. I get that, but what's happening with the Pixel 4 is unreal.

Lots of reviews (not everyone) are driven by what drives more traffic and most views. Looks like they analyzed the vibe of the enthusiasts which was mostly negative from early leaks and they got to feed them since that's their main audience. Some of the YouTube videos are borderline click bait and they aren't even hiding

Granted no phone is perfect and the pixel has its fare share of valid criticism but many of them go for what gets them views and on the background they happily continue to use the pixel 4

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I review portable audiophile gear, so I am very aware of the review process. For the audiophile side of reviewing there are a few ways to obtain product for reviewing. Pay outright, receive a discount if you review, be part of a loaner tour or receive a review sample. That said, I am not sure how it works for cellphones. I will say, very few reviewers vomit as much negativity toward product as the reviewers have toward the Pixel 4/XL. I realize that many people spend their hard earned money based on my opinion and I respect that "power" immensely. I also have a statement in the "about me" section of my blog that says, do not base your opinion solely on my subjective opinion, please research. Honestly, that is all a review is, a subjective opinion, and everyone has an opinion. My signature on one the Forums I am active on states, "When listening to TOTL none of it sucks, it all comes down to finding a signature that checks your boxes". The same would apply to handsets, the only other variables in cellphone world are carrier and ecosytem(Apple vs. Android). I also tell companies I need a minimum of a month, with 6 weeks being ideal, before I will publish a review. That way I have time to critically listen and utilize different sources, cables etc. and encounter a variety of experiences and environments with their product. I don't see this happening with cellphone reviews, many with as little time as a week.

One can wonder if the entire wave of negativity in reviews would have been different if the first couple of initial reviews had not been sucky? Sometimes reviewers are like lemmings and in this case the lemmings all have Pixel 4 in their hands as they plunge over the cliff.

I do see many shortcomings with the Pixel 4/XL. It is not perfect and I am still in my buyer's remorse period obviously so who knows if it is a keeper. However, those dedicated to the Android experience and own the Pixel 4 XL may have the best there is for pure Android. I sold a Samsung S10+ for the Pixel 4XL.

When selecting a work phone I had the option of Android or Apple. Since I am an Android guy, I chose the iPhone 7 for a different experience, and an experience I that I wasn't spending my cash on. iPhone bores me, not sure why, but it does. I fumble through getting things done even though it is a "simpler" system.

Sorry for the long winded post, without much purpose, other than to invoke thought. If you didn't have an option still available to return the device, what currently available option do you wish you had chose? How do reviewers affect your decision to purchase and your feelings once you own the product?
How it works with cellphones , in particular with YouTube "reviews" is that the influencer is sent a device gratis for a favourable review.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Agreed, the poor reviews do leave a sour taste in the mouth and make you wonder if you made the right choice but you have to try it for yourself. And the reviews are pretty uniformly only slating the battery life as a negative. Sure, it could be better, but battery life has been the bane of all smart phones for years now. Had my 4xl for a week now and only considered returning it on one day that battery drained to below 50% by 11am. It was in my pocket instead of on my desk so assume it was constantly waking up, switched off the motion gesture and lift to wake and it holds for the day, works for me.

Now trying to figure out a way to enable those settings at home and disable while out, maybe an assistant routine?

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the Pokemon Go days. I don't listen to any reviews anymore. That convinced me everything was for the clicks.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't really follow reviews but then again I've always hated the Pixel because of how expensive it is.

The 4 is the worst, on paper. I don't get what Google is doing.

One can you argue they don't need this or that but to me it comes down to the cost.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Great insight.

The pixel 4 unsells itself. Like the ones before it. £939 for "the Google experience"
Don't need a reviewer to tell us that.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I think that it’s important to not confuse reputable reviewers like TechRadar, AC, Which? or Trusted Reviews with clickbait and unapologetically biased so called ‘reviews’ from sites like Forbes, BGR and YouTube.

The Pixel 4 and 4 XL do have valid criticisms (just like all phones), especially concerning the battery life with the former as well as a few teething issues with the 90hz display and facial recognition (which will be sorted out), but I think that a lot of the criticism seems ramped up due to the build up of frustration towards Google for getting basic things like the battery capacity wrong as well as removing features (unlimited original resolution storage, fingerprint sensor) and charging high prices for arguably less than what competitors offer such as 64GB storage, only a dual camera etc (on paper).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I think that it’s important to not confuse reputable reviewers like TechRadar, AC, Which? or Trusted Reviews with clickbait and unapologetically biased so called ‘reviews’ from sites like Forbes, BGR and YouTube.

The Pixel 4 and 4 XL do have valid criticisms (just like all phones), especially concerning the battery life with the former as well as a few teething issues with the 90hz display and facial recognition (which will be sorted out), but I think that a lot of the criticism seems ramped up due to the build up of frustration towards Google for getting basic things like the battery capacity wrong as well as removing features (unlimited original resolution storage, fingerprint sensor) and charging high prices for arguably less than what competitors offer such as 64GB storage, only a dual camera etc (on paper).

Well stated.

I don't think it's breaking news to say there's not a lot of nuance that goes around in the forums, and there's always a tendency to move to a black or white opinion of something - even with trying to describe a review (which in itself is an opinion). If folks are happy with their phones here then that is all that matters. Folks who are trying to insert confirmation bias by attempting to trash reputable reviewers doesn't help anyone. It is possible to both disagree with a review from a reputable source, and still have that source continue to be reputable. I feel like that is lost among some. It's also possible for a phone to be pretty good - but still have some flaws. But often that nuanced perception is often lost on forums I feel.

p.s. I'm glad you mentioned Forbes and BGR, because it is good internet practice to never link to or visit their sites. As for Youtube, I guess it depends for me. A few , including Marques Brownlee, I have watched for years and years and value their opinion. Trusting random Youtubers is another story IMO.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So today it failed the scratch and bend test from that Jerry guy. Apparently Google cheaped out on built quality as well.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What a condescending review, oh I mean "durability test", the subliminal rhetoric is laughable..
7f4e6e227482a9d572e31513e42db98b.gif

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So today it failed the scratch and bend test from that Jerry guy. Apparently Google cheaped out on built quality as well.
Because we all scratch and bend our phones like that. Sorry... not a fan of destructive testing by Jerry. There may be some value in the bend test for those who sit on their phones but the scratch testing doesn't tell me anything I don't already know or need to know. Oh.... And the flame test... That one kills me.

I would value him more if he did drop tests

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Because we all scratch and bend our phones like that. Sorry... not a fan of destructive testing by Jerry. There may be some value in the bend test for those who sit on their phones but the scratch testing doesn't tell me anything I don't already know or need to know. Oh.... And the flame test... That one kills me.

I would value him more if he did drop tests

Flame test is kinda of a joke. He said that himself. But when your phone falls and paint chips, that would suck. Other phones use treated metal. And as far as bending, I think Nexus 6p was also bad and it bent in pockets (everyone was pissed), so it's kinda important for phone to be solid. Probably just a matter of time until we will see those crack in real world. (I could be wrong)
I mean it depends, but Google "Nexus 6p bending", you will get the idea why it's not that great to have weak points there

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Greater truth could not be spoken with reference to the 'pedigree' of the reviewer, but it should also be noted that even those who do strive for fair and honest reviews are sometimes fallible. As an example, many have made final determinations regarding battery life sufficiency based on only a very short time of use (a few days to a week), which (1) is worse due to the phone downloading and installing massive stores of data to resolve apps, etc associated with their user account, (2) is rarely demonstrative of typical use as they are deep diving into features in a manner they would not were it not for the purpose of a review, and (3) fails to allow time for Google's battery optimization in terms of app management to get up to speed.

Things like this can be corrected in later reviews, and often are (and that's not to say that the early reviews of such specs aren't going to be proven spot-on), but throwing them out there without some degree of caveat is, even if unintentional, potentially conveying an impression they might prefer not to.

What can certainly be said is that Google was a long ways short of knocking this one out of the park, but in terms of fairly judging them against their competition, too much emphasis has been on hardware comparisons rather than actual performance, by most reviewers, and the Google is getting shunned for failing to match the 'norm' of hardware levels while nobody points to the established players and points to their failure to match a wide array of what Google offers that should be the norm for them.

Ironically, given that I have been a Pixel user from the 1 to 2 to 3 (haven't bit on the 4) and backwards all the way to the Nexus 4, I think the current Pixels are less suited to the enthusiast type that inhabits the forums, etc, and more well suited to the 'everyday' user who wants a phone they don't have to worry about through the day (where the average user only uses 2 1/2 - 3 hours SOT), wants a phone to just do what they want it to do without giving it a lot of thought, takes great pictures, and with which they don't ever feel their security could be compromised. Google nails all of these but the first for the 4, and pretty much has them covered with the 4 XL. Where they fall short with the everyday user is marketing and the generally trained perception that a phone with lesser specs cannot be as enjoyable to use as one with greater specs.