Please help... My Galaxy S4 won't let me enable Wi-Fi

MisterXtm

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for these infos! I've tried them, but didn't have any luck for now.

Can you please tell me if you have anything in your /data/misc/wifi/sockets folder? Mine is empty..

I also don't know what type of wifi/bluetooth-chip I have. I suppose it should be a "murata fem1", not a "semcosh", but I have no idea how to check it.

Kyle Richards1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
All you have to do is reboot your phone. When turning it on hold the volume up button while holding power button. Once it starts to turn on it will say something like rebooting in small blue at top left. Then let go of buttons and it will start as normal. This has worked for me.

linkin pork

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Try this : pull out your battery and put it back after half hour, your wifi will come back again, i tried twice, it works for my s4.

Last edited:

Melanie Stamper

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please help... My Galaxy S4 wo'nt let me enable Wi-Fi

So, my s4 says that i am connected to wifi, like my home wifi and such, but whenever i try to refresh or reload an app such as facebook or twiiter, it says i am not connected to the internet. Please help!!

pipo3k

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Android 4.3: Removing the battery for a couple of minutes fixes the problem. (WiFi passwords gone thought, so it looks like android detected that something was wrong and replaced the file ?!)

tuk3r

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
ok, i had to sign up just to post this in the hope it helps others.

my problem was the wifi button wouldnt turn on no matter what i did, i switched it on and it would switch off. anyhow...people suggested to root the phone then rename a wifi file and it will fix the problem. again this didnt work, i didnt have a clue on how to root, but after 5 hours i feel like an expert hehe. i managed to unroot the phone back to stock.

i got speaking with a fella from another forum, he suggested dialing *#0011# and enter the service menu, from there hit the menu button and choose wifi, then turn off WiFi Power Saver Mode. i did this and exited. i then tried the wifi, it never worked but i then re dialed *#0011# and entered the service menu once more, hit the menu button and choose wifi, then turned on WiFi Power Saver Mode. after doing this it has worked flawlessly ever since. doing this resets the wifi cache. so in short disable WiFi Power Saver Mode then exit, then enable WiFi Power Saver Mode again.

i thought i would post a solution that worked first time for me, like i say i tried rooting and unrooting but nothing worked. i only hope this will work for you.

please reply if this helps you in anyway so others can benefit.

thanks.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
ok, i had to sign up just to post this in the hope it helps others.

my problem was the wifi button wouldnt turn on no matter what i did, i switched it on and it would switch off. anyhow...people suggested to root the phone then rename a wifi file and it will fix the problem. again this didnt work, i didnt have a clue on how to root, but after 5 hours i feel like an expert hehe. i managed to unroot the phone back to stock.

i got speaking with a fella from another forum, he suggested dialing *#0011# and enter the service menu, from there hit the menu button and choose wifi, then turn off WiFi Power Saver Mode. i did this and exited. i then tried the wifi, it never worked but i then re dialed *#0011# and entered the service menu once more, hit the menu button and choose wifi, then turned on WiFi Power Saver Mode. after doing this it has worked flawlessly ever since. doing this resets the wifi cache. so in short disable WiFi Power Saver Mode then exit, then enable WiFi Power Saver Mode again.

i thought i would post a solution that worked first time for me, like i say i tried rooting and unrooting but nothing worked. i only hope this will work for you.

please reply if this helps you in anyway so others can benefit.

thanks.

No when you rooted it you should of went got the odin .tar files and re flashed your modem it would of put a clean flash as it would rewrite the modem files after ota updates sometimes it doesn't re rite it like it should and this causes your wifi cell data and GPS to crash but with clean flashes it cleans it up ;) but I'm glad to see someone found an alternative way as most people faint and ring the hepatic bell when you mention rooting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Bradley Lewis

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Strangest fault, can't enable Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot or Bluetooth... When I pull down the screen from the top to bring up the quick select enable menu Wi-Fi will not turn on, it is preselected and a very light green colour instead of a grey for disabled or bright green when it is enabled... Holding the Wi-Fi button down and entering the option doesn't help either as it says "turning on" but does nothing... the toggle switch to turn Wi-Fi on also does nothing.
I have reset the device several times and have also now tried a factory reset... which I really didn't want to do and it still hasn't helped. I have searched forums and google for any sign of this same fault and found nothing. I also can't enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot or Bluetooth... Can someone please advise?

Took the battery out while the phone was still on and that did the trick

Took the advice on here about the wifi button not sliding my galaxy s4 and thanks it's now working again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiffany Anderson3

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Same thing with my galaxy s4 I haven't been able to use my wifi for weeks now, I took the battery out of the phone for a total of 10 minutes and restarted and.... wallah my wifi is on and working, Hallelujah!!!
Anyone else having the same issue do yourself a favor and try this first, rather than technical mumbo jumbo ;)

MAESADA

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Way to solve the problem of Wi-Fi in the immediate
Wi-Fi Tethering → ON → OFF

It is a language of Japanese, but I wonder if you can see the sign?

1caiser

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

All of you and your technical stories were fun to follow, only that when I tried, it all ended in failure.

Battery popping, factory reset, blowdryer to the motherboard, upgrading to Kit-Kat, rooting and trying to install a mod (Cyanogen in my case), and finally sending into Samsung to get it back on [Beyond Economic Repair].

Follow these steps ONLY AS LAST RESORT. 'CUZ THAT'S WHAT I DID.

THE ONLY WAY I GOT MY PHONE TO COME BACK:

1. Get Samsung Kies.
  2. Get Odin and a .tar file for your Galaxy (Probably from StockRoms.net or some similar mirror. The download file should be about 1.6 GB [forum calls this "Gingerbread", I meant "Gigabytes").
  3. Put Galaxy into downloading mode.
  4. Start Odin and plug in your Galaxy to the computer.
  5. Select PDA and put in the .tar file.
  6. Hit [Start] on Odin.
  7. When phone has a blue bar, unplug the Galaxy. This will put it in emergency mode, where it has a corrupted iOS or something (I'm not a technical genius).
  8. Go to Samsung Kies and go to [Tools] > [Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation].
  9. Type in the Model Code. You can find this on your phone, behind the battery (you shouldn't have plugged in the phone yet).
  10. Type in the Serial Number (on the tag, it's labeled "S/N").
  11. Proceed with firmware upgrade (press OK). Proceed with data wipe (Press OK).
  12. Let the download go through. Chill, go get something to drink, etc.
  13. Now with your Galaxy, pop in the battery and put it in Download mode. You shouldn't see Emergency mode anymore (at least that's what happened to me, Emergency just disappeared).
  14. Let the downloading go through. Should take a while, so chill some more.
  15. When the phone is done updating, it should be in setup mode from the last Kies firmware upgrade. Proceed with phone setup and enjoy fixed Wi-fi.

The plug-pull was an accidental discovery.

-Kai

curious09

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
hi I was wondering if you've found a solution for your issue?? I know this post is very old, but I am just now having this problem and i'm looking for a fix asap.

Yau007

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Same to me. My S4 just got repaired with a dead charging port (not included in warranty as they claimed). I got my phone back yesterday but found the WiFi switch cannot be enabled. I have tried all the methods as mentioned from page 1 of this thread, none of them works. I am considering to return it back to Samsung CSC. Any other hints before I do that as it was bought o/s while Australia Samsung does not provide worldwide warranty.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newuser93939