ROM Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
When I went to download Rom Manager it states that Samsung users need to flash a compatible kernel first. I don't see any mention of this on any thread here. Just the typical 1-root, 2-download Rom Manager, 3-do recovery image, 4-backup current rom, 5-try other roms. (Was going to try the Z4 root method)

Is a compatible kernel needed for Captivates and where is it? If there is, I really need to improve my search technique because the only thing I come up with is for Fascinates and Epics.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded the app but I didn't get that message. I have not tried to flash anything yet. First I need to remove oclf and unroot to copy my original ROM from what I have been reading.
I am so close to doing this but I keep telling myself wait till the end of January. ...LOL

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
This thing just killed my battery. It went from 90% to 10% in the time I added it. It is the only thing I have added to my phone. Is this possible I have not done anything with it yet.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ROM Manager requires a custom kernel for its features to work. Ironically, you have to install ClockworkMod Recovery without ROM Manger to get ROM Manager working. Alternatively, you can use Odin to flash a custom kernel first, then flash ClockworkMod Recovery through ROM Manager.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
got ua now since I use titanium backup can I use that to put my orginal rom into a backup on my computer. Titanium does a schedule back up of my whole phone automatically.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
ROM Manager requires a custom kernel for its features to work. Ironically, you have to install ClockworkMod Recovery without ROM Manger to get ROM Manager working. Alternatively, you can use Odin to flash a custom kernel first, then flash ClockworkMod Recovery through ROM Manager.

Technically all you need is the update.zip for CWM to work. And I don't remember having to flash a custom kernel, just root and have SU permissions. Since the SGS phones can't take full advantage of ROM manager we really just need the CWM feature.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Technically all you need is the update.zip for CWM to work. And I don't remember having to flash a custom kernel, just root and have SU permissions. Since the SGS phones can't take full advantage of ROM manager we really just need the CWM feature.

You're absolutely correct. But I was referring to using ROM Manager to install ClockworkMod Recovery, which requires a custom kernel. Of course you can install Clockwork other ways - but to flash Clockwork or boot into Clockwork using ROM Manager requires that kernel.

I have been using it without the kernel but haven't done anything much
what bad could this do

If you try and use ROM Manager without a kernel that supports it it simply won't work.

Xijar

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
This is dumb. I just installed CWM using ROM manager on stock kernel with root/super user access. Brand new unit, never been flashed. Definately worked as I am running cognition now.... Just do not delete the update.zip once you finish rooting your phone or it will fail.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This is dumb. I just installed CWM using ROM manager on stock kernel with root/super user access. Brand new unit, never been flashed. Definately worked as I am running cognition now.... Just do not delete the update.zip once you finish rooting your phone or it will fail.

What are you talking about?? What is dumb. And only CWM will not work if your update.zip isn't on the phone, and it is easy enough to put it back on by flashing or just putting the zip to your sd card root.

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Xijar,
Were you able to back up your factory rom with rom manager? Are you sure? Also, were you able to use rom manager to install cognition?

dbord_n

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
rom manager update problem

ok so im trying to change my rom using rom manager. i did it once before on my other phone no problem but i tried the same processes with my other captivate and i keep getting an error. i go to rom manager and click install form sd card and then i click the perception build 9.5 rom to install then click ok and phone restarts. in the boot loader stuff it goes to the option screen showing reboot system, reinstall packages etc. i click reinstall packages, it shows verifying update package and then shows:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification faild
installation aborted.

im am running froyo 2.2 and trying to try perception build 9.5 rom. phone is rooted. any ideas? i have already tried to delete and re download the file.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
ClockworkMod troubles

I am having trouble getting clockwork mod onto my phone. I had been running P8 for a while and was looking to flash P10 onto my phone today. I have spent all morning trying to get clockwork mod on my phone through rom manager. When that didn't work I tried to get it on my phone by flashing it through recovery. Nothing seems to be working and I still have the stock recovery. After about 10 master whipes and flashes to stock and numerous attempts I have given up and am looking for help.

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
"Flashing" Clockwork, IIRC, is just having the app add an update.zip to your phone's SD card. It uses that update.zip to flash your phone into CWR.

I had to have someone send me the update.zip and I manually placed it on my SD card it worked fine.

I can share this file with you, but it won't be until I get home (after 6:30est). Hit me up this eve and I'll see what I can do.

Also, make sure you flash for the phone, not what ROM you're using. Meaning, I have a GT-I9000 ROM on my phone but I still use/flash CWR for the stock Captivate, not the I9000.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
"Flashing" Clockwork, IIRC, is just having the app add an update.zip to your phone's SD card. It uses that update.zip to flash your phone into CWR.

I had to have someone send me the update.zip and I manually placed it on my SD card it worked fine.

I can share this file with you, but it won't be until I get home (after 6:30est). Hit me up this eve and I'll see what I can do.

Also, make sure you flash for the phone, not what ROM you're using. Meaning, I have a GT-I9000 ROM on my phone but I still use/flash CWR for the stock Captivate, not the I9000.

I tried using the update.zip method and it didn't take either. On a last ditch effort I found another update.zip on xda and that one worked fine.

Reactions: aimless9

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ok so im trying to change my rom using rom manager. i did it once before on my other phone no problem but i tried the same processes with my other captivate and i keep getting an error. i go to rom manager and click install form sd card and then i click the perception build 9.5 rom to install then click ok and phone restarts. in the boot loader stuff it goes to the option screen showing reboot system, reinstall packages etc. i click reinstall packages, it shows verifying update package and then shows:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification faild
installation aborted.

im am running froyo 2.2 and trying to try perception build 9.5 rom. phone is rooted. any ideas? i have already tried to delete and re download the file.

Manually boot into Clockwork and install your ROM from there.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you've properly installed Clockwork, when you get to stock recovery go to the install update.zip option and it should then take you to Clockwork.

dbord_n

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
did that on a fresh factory reset phone and wiped user data and cleared the cache and then did a fresh install from rom manager and it still shows the same thing. for some reason the clockwork recovery will not install.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Try following these instructions:

Download ROM Manager from the Market.
Flash Recovery.
Choose Captivate as your phone.
Accept the Superuser prompt.
Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
Watch the backup go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fakharzaman003