cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
For all of you that have already root'd and ROM'd, is s-off achievable at this point? I can't find any indication of s-off in the XDA threads. If there is no s-off yet, then is flashing ROM's similar to what had to be done on the E3D with s-on (HTC unlocked bootloader)? I hate all the extra stuff that had to be done on the E3D without s-off. If we don't have s-off now, does anyone know if the devs are working on achieving s-off? I really want to root and ROM, but I'm willing to wait for s-off if it's not too far off.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, S-off is not required to flash anything on this phone.
Just root, custom recovery, and unlock. I'd recommend using the one-click method here: [ROOT] RegawMOD EVO 4G LTE Rooter | Updated 06.13.12 - xda-developers I haven't used this because I did everything manually before it was developed, so I can't personally vouch for how well it works. Reports are very positive though.

If you have Google Wallet set up, be sure to reset before proceeding, and keep in mind that when you unlock, it performs a factory reset - so you're going to have to restore your setup afterwards.

I flashed the AOKP ROM last night and gave it a quick spin. No problem at all, other than what doesn't work with the ROM itself.

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
S-off wasn't required on the E3D either but it did make the flashing process easier. Without s-off there are extra steps needed to access the system partition, which is needed to flash the kernel (at least that's how I understand it anyway). This called for extra work to flash the kernels separately on the E3D. I take it this is not the case on the E4GLTE?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Apparently that's not the case here. There's only one custom kernel that I know of right now and I haven't flashed it, but I don't recall any additional steps called out in that thread to flash it. I'll check and edit this if I'm wrong.

From what I gather, the only reason for s-off on this phone is to avoid the "unlocked" message in the bootloader, and the subsequent "relocked" message if you decide to lock the bootloader later.

EDIT: This confirms my memory. Just flash from recovery. No special steps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1700251

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1694589

Further discussion here. Bottom line - S-off not required to flash ROMs or kernels.
There *may* be issues *if* you plan on making a warranty claim directly through HTC. I've read that Sprint, Asurion, BB, etc generally don't care if you're rooted as long as your claim is not related to something you broke while rooting and flashing.

As always, it's a personal decision weighing the pros and cons and YMMV.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
You can flash whatever you want without s-off. You can flash a boot.img, kernel, etc all from recovery. TWRP is working best right now.