S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

FGiummo

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I saw the issue i went to a VZW store and they swapped my edge out for a new one. As the tech was setting it up I saw the rotation working. Got home updating a bunch of apps that came up, saw a bunch of galaxy app updates I didnt request and now my phone is stuck in portrait, my first was stuck in landscape.

brians188

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I saw the issue i went to a VZW store and they swapped my edge out for a new one. As the tech was setting it up I saw the rotation working. Got home updating a bunch of apps that came up, saw a bunch of galaxy app updates I didnt request and now my phone is stuck in portrait, my first was stuck in landscape.

That's crazy.. So maybe we have to accept these galaxy apps that came pre installed.?. I remembered I would always deny thier requests... Could that be it

Pro3D

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
A framework is actually separate from software data in the manner that The Framework acts as the structure, or shelving if that makes sense, for organizing the softwares data and values.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking in the sense the framework is the libraries controlling the rotation are fudged. I'did hope I explained the situation as much as I know without putting words in the techs mouth. It sewn in to the OS and pressing the backup and reset option will not fix the issue as far as I understand.

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I got it straight from verizons mouth. I got the complete protection so they advertise a tech guru of sorts and and went for it. Except for the fact they mentioned kies and not the smart switch pc software. If I had a second phone at the time I probably would have let them do the whole fix with me but I went local for my try at fixing.

It has to be the emergency reset as far as I presume to clean the phones clock(to allow the update). If I hadn'the taken 4 hr of my Sunday backing up and found the software I would have done this . Like I said at least there is a backup option so you shouldn'the loose everything for trying. If no you know your phone is fudged and your on the list (Either way samsungs going to reset you before taking it back) no harm and you've got tomorrow blog heading.

Yeah there is nothing on mine at all, factory reset multiple times.

Unfortunately none of the reset methods I've tried (from menus in phone, from home+power+vol menu, from PC version of Smart Switch) has helped with mine. Always after the reset it does not rotate :(

Spoke again to Samsung today after the pretty average response from the carrier and Samsung said just have to wait for carrier, or alternatively Samsung could arrange exactly the same thing (deliver a courier bag, send it in, assess ...)

Very sad that it's going to take so long to replace a defective phone and kind of annoyed. It's demonstrably not working and it should be a clear case of replacing the thing.

Clive Eveleigh

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
So I bought 2 edge 64g (one as a gift) loved mine initially...smart switch a huge improvement over Kies but today I noticed the screen was not rotating and camera pics were upside down. I am a heavy texter so I hadnt actually used the phone until I called the store about the issue and then discovered that the mic wasnt working unless.u used speakerphone. I had.updated yesterday so I was not sure if it was an update issue. Checked the other.unused phone everything was fine.
Backed up using smart switch and then did a full factory reset and deleted the cache partition but after restore the problem remained. Repeated reset but didnt restore my data but problem remained.
Updated second unused phone, and everything was still fine. Returned to store and got an immediate replacement which seems fine so far....this is def a hardware issue!

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Swapped my (Verizon) S6 Edge out for another a couple hours ago. So far no rotation issues. Crossing my fingers!

Any other Verizon S6 Edge users NOT experiencing screen rotation issues?

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to get mine swapped out today but there's not a Verizon store within 60 miles that has the white 64GB Edge...such a pain.

djpushplay

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
As swiftkick2dnuts already posted, when you use the phone app "*#0*#" to get the hardware test, it shows that the accelerometer is not functioning properly. It took me 2 days to figure it out but it is definitely hardware and no software/firmware will be able to fix this problem. My first unit was initially working, then failed after one day of use, but I didn't really notice it until day 2. My second unit failed in less than 2 hours, probably in about 1.5 hours. What is common with both was that the failure happened after a fast charge. So far my 3rd S6 edge is working after one day but it's too early to tell.

On my first unit, both the X and Y accelerometer values were stuck on 32767 and -32768, Z was working. On my second, only one was failing (I think Y). The hardware test is showing raw values that are coming directly from the accelerometer chip so there is no API, firmware (Android) or app that is causing the problem. If the values were off by some factor, they could fix it with a patch but the values are completely stuck and do not change. Therefore, no updates of any kind can fix this problem. Even a patch cannot fix the hardware.

It's only a theory but I suspect the fast charge heats up the battery to an extreme and the accelerometer chip is probably located close enough that it fails from the heat. This might only be on the edge and not the regular S6. I suspect it's a bad batch of chips from whoever makes them (Invensense?) and it's possible that once they go through the bad batch, the rest of the units will be okay.

What I did with my 3rd unit was simply fast charge and test. This is what I recommend for people who are swapping to a new one. That way, you won't have it happen after spending a day setting up your phone.

HabsFan

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Went to another Verizon store today. This was the first anyone there has heard or seen the problem and they sold "a lot of edge phones". He did a factory reset and it still had the issue so they ordered a new one for me since they were out of stock. I'll have it on Thursday. Hopefully all goes well with that one.

anon(133724)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hm, mine was fine but I jinxed myself by reading this thread :p Mine will auto rotate, but only if I really turn it hard / turn it almost upside down, and other times it won't at all. Checked Temple Run 2, which had worked fine when I first installed it, but now it constantly goes to the left even when the phone is perfectly straight. Persisted through a reboot, power off and power on, and two factory resets. I just got off the phone with Verizon and they are sending me a brand new one under warranty. Just curious, do you guys use wireless charging? That's the only thing that's changed since I got it (just got a wireless charger in the mail yesterday), do you think it could have anything to do with that? Seems unlikely, but other than that, I'm not sure what could be causing this to happen, especially after it worked 100% fine at first, so it doesn't seem like the part should just go bad over a few days, but who knows.

HabsFan

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't use wireless charging. Mine actually started happening immediately after I used the heart rate sensor to take a picture. Doubt that was the cause as others reported the issue after random uses.

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine was random as well. I had the phone charging before I noticed the issue, but I had charged it several times before with no issue. I'll get my replacement on Thursday as well. If that one doesn't pan out, hopefully VZW will let me swap to the regular S6.

MykStark

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I returned my first one because of this problem. Now the second one i got has the same problem! One day later the auto screen rotation just stopped working. Its the sprint 32gb sapphire color. I'm worried that it could be a hardware issue....i dont know if i should try my luck one more time... If i do get another one i was thinking of not updating it to see if it could be a software issue. Since i updated both phones as soon as i got them. The thing that bothers me about that is neither of them failed immediately after the update. But they failed at random times and with different apps...

Posted via the Android Central App

djpushplay

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
[snip] Returned to store and got an immediate replacement which seems fine so far....this is def a hardware issue!

This is a hardware issue with the accelerometer chip which seems to fail after a fast charge which heats up the battery and nearby components. This cannot be fixed via firmware/software updates.

djpushplay

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
did the *#0*# to test the sensor

Accelerometer Sensor x is stuck at -32768

someone on the xda forum said theirs was stuck at the same. hopefully there is a software fix for this.

The hardware test program via phone app (*#0*#) tests the hardware directly and reads the accelerometer chip values. Therefore, there is no software/firmware fix that is possible. You will have to replace the unit.

I'm on my 3rd S6 edge, and so far (knock on wood), it's working for over 24 hours. My second unit lasted about 1 hour, the time it took to fast charge the battery. It appears that the heat from the charging is causing a failure of the accelerometer chip. The reason why I think it's heat related is because the units seem to work out of the box and only fails after some time has gone by. In my case, both my failed units were fast charged to 100% causing the battery to get very hot. It's just a theory but I have a lot of experience with hardware so it's an educated guess.

Thomas Paul2

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
This is a hardware issue with the accelerometer chip which seems to fail after a fast charge which heats up the battery and nearby components. This cannot be fixed via firmware/software updates.

It's not necessarily the fast charger. Before I even turned my phone on I used the fast charger to charge it to 100%. When I turned the phone on and got it set up I was able to rotate my phone and my camera took right side up pictures. It wasn't until a few hours later that everything went crazy.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello