Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't think the battery life on my S4 is bad at all. I'm new to the platform/device but the pics below are essentially what I get as a rule. I am not a power user but I'm pretty steady. View attachment 86653View attachment 86655View attachment 86657
3 hours of screen time over 2 days and 37% left is actually really good. You're on pace for about 4.5 hours of screen time over 2 days. :cool: I can get 5 max over 1 day or 4 over 2 days

Paulus4605

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Normally I would get about 20 hours or so on my battery with average use during the day mostly sending sms make a couple of calls and that's it.
however over the last 2 3 weeks it happens that my phone is rebooting while trying to answer an incomming call or sending a sms. battery percentage is at that moment 50% When the phone reboots it hangs on the screen Samsung galaxy I9505 s4 and continues to reboot untill I use the powercable. this can happen 2-3 times a day
When the powercable is plugged in I can start my phone normally but then I see that my battery power is 0% ?? should it be wise to change the battery first or just return the phone for maintenance?

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Normally I would get about 20 hours or so on my battery with average use during the day mostly sending sms make a couple of calls and that's it.
however over the last 2 3 weeks it happens that my phone is rebooting while trying to answer an incomming call or sending a sms. battery percentage is at that moment 50% When the phone reboots it hangs on the screen Samsung galaxy I9505 s4 and continues to reboot untill I use the powercable. this can happen 2-3 times a day
When the powercable is plugged in I can start my phone normally but then I see that my battery power is 0% ?? should it be wise to change the battery first or just return the phone for maintenance?
Definitely a faulty battery. Get it replaced before it damages the phone. It seems Samsung shipped a good number of phones with bad batteries. Many appear to be dying at the 2 month mark.

sony83

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My S4 (Intl) used to last over a day 1 day to 1 day 8 hours alteast. But ever since 4.3 update im only getting a day out of it with moderate use..
unnamed.png
unnamed (1).png

Also Android system was never at this high a percentage as in the above screenshot? Hope samsung rolls out the 4.3.1 soon and fixes the issues.

Winanto Wins

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
My S4 (Intl) used to last over a day 1 day to 1 day 8 hours alteast. But ever since 4.3 update im only getting a day out of it with moderate use..
View attachment 93114
View attachment 93115

Also Android system was never at this high a percentage as in the above screenshot? Hope samsung rolls out the 4.3.1 soon and fixes the issues.

Do you have many apps?

Sent from Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Whenever you see someone with over 17 hours of Usage it's a total lie. SAMSUNG stated that the battery lasts 17 hours.

Try and do this... use your phone until it turns off.
Let's say it turned off after using it 10:00 hours.

Plug the cable in, let it charge for 30 minutes. You'll have about 70% battery.
NOW turn on the phone and go to bettery status.

It will appear like this:
70% not charging
10h 30min 00s on Battery.

Which is fake, because you used it for 10:00 and it went to 0% battery... But the monitoring system is bugged. It doesn't really updates as it should.

So whenever you see someone with a ridiculously high number, it's clear what they did.
My phone is 1 month old

2 signal bars, I message a lot, 4-5 hours of music, 30-40 minutes of Real Racing, 30 min of browsing and it never lasts more than 10 hours. I have all bloatware stopped.
Usually 70% of the consumtion comes from the Screen... so how come some other people's screen consumes just 30%? Is my screen bigger?

Please try and be sincere about your battery time... it's not like you're here to show off, you are here to help others understand wha'ts eating their battery.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Whenever you see someone with over 17 hours of Usage it's a total lie. SAMSUNG stated that the battery lasts 17 hours.

70% not charging

Which is fake, because you used it for 10:00 and it went to 0% battery... But the monitoring system is bugged. It doesn't really updates as it should.

So whenever you see someone with a ridiculously high number, it's clear what they did.
My phone is 1 month old

2 signal bars, I message a lot, 4-5 hours of music, 30-40 minutes of Real Racing, 30 min of browsing and it never lasts more than 10 hours. I have all bloatware stopped.
Usually 70% of the consumtion comes from the Screen... so how come some other people's screen consumes just 30%? Is my screen bigger?

Please try and be sincere about your battery time... it's not like you're here to show off, you are here to help others understand wha'ts eating their battery.

It really depends on how you set up and use the phone. I can easily go way over 17 hours of "use" without connecting to the charger, but that includes a lot of time when the phone is sleeping. Someone who has the screen on constantly will probably get 4 to 6 hours of use. It's all relative.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

70% not charging

My phone is 1 month old

I believe that the 17 hours just means that it has been 17 hours since it was last unplugged from the charger. On page 9, I believe that's where you got the figures from, but if you actually saw the screen ON time, it was around 2 hours 50+ minutes?

Screenshot_2013-12-08-21-29-30.jpg

Sure my stats says 1 Day 13 hours 33 minutes, but what this means is that I have unplugged my phone from the charger 1 day 13 hours 33 minutes ago. But when I checked the screen on time, it was like around 2 hours +. So there you go. I barely used my phone except for playing Tiny towers and pocket train and only checking every hour. I never plugged to charge it over night. So it really depends on what you do and how you use your phone.

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
After you fully charge your phone, restart it. and you will see it comes back with 96-97%... I guess the battery is never 100% charged... it just looks so in the software, but in reality its not.
When I try some tests, it gets very good life at times. When I am in my town which has LTE, the battery life is what I would consider good. I get at least 17 hours out of it with a lot of usage. In other areas though were reception is not quite as good, the battery seems to drain super fast. I was in an area like that today and I tried just putting the phone in airplane mode for the day since it was a day off. I took a ton of photos,listened to music, watched some video on WiFi... The phone only dropped about 10% in 7 hours.

I know searching for networks can be hard on the battery, but I just haven't seen it this bad with other phones.

The other behavior that is brand new, I see the almost instant drop from 100% to 90% when I take it off the charger that another poster mentioned.

I may have to try an exchange. The battery issues are kind of making me regret the phone a bit. I am just outside my 15 day trial though. Things seemed to be improving with the battery though, then things took a complete crap.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
After a few charge cycles on 4.3, here are my results from this morning. This is unrooted, with wifi and data usage through the day, and about 2.5 to 3 hours of talk time as well.

zpfifEB.jpg

ra6EFUO.jpg

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Could you please turn off your mobile data, and play some real racing for 20 minutes and tell me how much did it drain your battery? Unless you compare with someone doing the exact same thing as you, it's impossible to figure out if your phone has an issue or it's just the way you use it.

I believe that the 17 hours just means that it has been 17 hours since it was last unplugged from the charger. On page 9, I believe that's where you got the figures from, but if you actually saw the screen ON time, it was around 2 hours 50+ minutes?

View attachment 96081

Sure my stats says 1 Day 13 hours 33 minutes, but what this means is that I have unplugged my phone from the charger 1 day 13 hours 33 minutes ago. But when I checked the screen on time, it was like around 2 hours +. So there you go. I barely used my phone except for playing Tiny towers and pocket train and only checking every hour. I never plugged to charge it over night. So it really depends on what you do and how you use your phone.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

70% not charging

My phone is 1 month old

I get what you're saying, but if the phone had been plugged in, the graph will show it (you'll see it rise).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Could you please turn off your mobile data, and play some real racing for 20 minutes and tell me how much did it drain your battery? Unless you compare with someone doing the exact same thing as you, it's impossible to figure out if your phone has an issue or it's just the way you use it.

Firstly, I would like to mention that I have two Samsung Galaxy S4's. One is my main (blue one) which I took the screenshot of my Battery usage above. I use my back up S4 to play games. F.Y.I it is pretty obvious that when playing games like Real Racing or other games that requires a lot power, it will drain the battery and that's a no brainer. Also my back up device is in airplane mode and using only wifi. Heck if you play a graphic and cpu intensive game on your laptop and only on battery, obviously it gets hot and drains battery pretty quickly.

Secondly, both of my S4's have no problems or issues with battery life. If it did, I would have taken it back and get it replaced instead of keeping them as there is no point in keeping a defective phone.

That being said, I'm a light user on my main device, so obviously it could go on battery alone for a day or two depending on what I do.

prashantgupta84

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If i play games like NFS, Asphalt, Candy Crush, Assassins Creed.....the battery drains 1% for every 2 minutes.......otherwise it drains 1% for every 3-5 minutes of browsing etc......
Are the above stats same for others also.....The average screen time i get is around 2.5 hrs. My mobile is 6 months old....

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I get almost the same stats... 10 minutes of playing Real Racing drains about 6-7% of the battery... 40 min of browsing/chatting in the subway i loose about 15%. So I guess our battery life is normal... people with huge battery time, they aren't heavy users, that's all.
If i play games like NFS, Asphalt, Candy Crush, Assassins Creed.....the battery drains 1% for every 2 minutes.......otherwise it drains 1% for every 3-5 minutes of browsing etc......
Are the above stats same for others also.....The average screen time i get is around 2.5 hrs. My mobile is 6 months old....

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
It's ovbious your phone is not defective, since it lasts so long... I was just wondering if mine is defective.... I usually have just 2.5 hours of Time On and 10 hours of total battery life..... so wen I saw people saying they can use it for 2 days... i started to wonder.
Firstly, I would like to mention that I have two Samsung Galaxy S4's. One is my main (blue one) which I took the screenshot of my Battery usage above. I use my back up S4 to play games. F.Y.I it is pretty obvious that when playing games like Real Racing or other games that requires a lot power, it will drain the battery and that's a no brainer. Also my back up device is in airplane mode and using only wifi. Heck if you play a graphic and cpu intensive game on your laptop and only on battery, obviously it gets hot and drains battery pretty quickly.

Secondly, both of my S4's have no problems or issues with battery life. If it did, I would have taken it back and get it replaced instead of keeping them as there is no point in keeping a defective phone.

That being said, I'm a light user on my main device, so obviously it could go on battery alone for a day or two depending on what I do.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
It's ovbious your phone is not defective, since it lasts so long... I was just wondering if mine is defective.... I usually have just 2.5 hours of Time On and 10 hours of total battery life..... so wen I saw people saying they can use it for 2 days... i started to wonder.

Well I'll post my screen on time before I charge my phone at the end of the night. I'm pretty sure my screen on time was around 2.5 hours as well. Some may be using bigger battery and not the standard 2600 mAh battery. So that may be one reason why others have such a higher usage time. I'm sure there are a lot of factors to why it brings up higher screen on time and with good usage. I'm pretty sure listening to music on the phone will do just that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord