Samsung s5 wont charge with micro usb 2.0 cable or in car.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just recieved a Samsung S5 that I bought on ebay. The phone won't charge with a usb 3.0 cable or micro usb 2.0 cable plugged in to my car adapter. Also the phone won't charge with a micro usb 2.0 cable plugged into the wall charger. It will only charge with the 3.0 usb cable in the wall charge. My current Galaxy S5 works with all the cords and chargers where the ebay S5 doesn't. Any ideas on what is going on with this phone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure the microUSB port is clear of any debris. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a toothpick to root around.

scr2nice

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
I tried cleaning the charging port with compressed air and gently used a tooth pick to clear any debris.
Online search also suggested removing battery and holding the power button for 1 minute. The phone still doesnt recognize being plugged in. However i have found 1 cord out of 6 that the phone will recognize. There has to be something going on with this phone for it to be sooo hard to find a way to charge it. Any ideas as to what I can do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would still suspect some issue with the microUSB port's contacts. It can be tricky, but try cleaning the contacts with a small Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. If everything is clean, then there might be some problem with how the plugs are fitting. Does anything happen if you jiggle the plug in the port for any of the cords that don't seem to work?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd choose to soak a toothpick in alcohol, rather than try to jam even a small Q-tip in there. And unfortunately, I suspect that the port itself is bad. (And it's going to cost about $80 to $90 to have it replaced - you can buy a gently used S5 for that price on swappa.)