Samsung S8 non-carrier firmware help

netorius77

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Please forgive me if I am a little bit stupid in regard to software and firmware!

I recently bought a new unlocked S8 (Nov-19) for use in Australia. When it arrived it was a US model SM-G950U whereas the Australian model is a SM-G950F. The phone is unlocked but starts up with the AT&T logo, so I gather it has that firmware installed. It seems to work fine in Australia barring no Wi-Fi calling and my reception in my house is really weak (Telstra Aus). I am not sure if this can be related to the firmware so was looking to try and upgrade my firmware away from AT&T to see if it will help.

Reading through many of the threads on different firmware topics, I see reference the the SM-G950U1 being unlocked and the SM-G950U being carrier specific (does this mean locked?). On my Phone software information page, the Baseband ver is G950USQU5DSC1 and the Service Provider ver is SAOMC_SM-G950U-OYN-ATT-PP_0024. Neither of these seem to indicate it is unlocked, but it definitely works on my provider network.

Looking at the Sammobile site there are many options for downloading firmware. I have been advised not to install the Telstra firmware (CSC: G950FTEL6DSK6) which is for the G950F phone. I would guess this advice is correct but not 100% sure.

I am therefore looking to install non-carrier specific firmware for the G950U but the list is endless and not sure which firmware version I should select. Can anyone offer any comment or advice? TIA.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Sorry, this is not possible. The phone you have purchased can only flashed with firmware specific to that device. The U and F firmware versions are for different processors.

netorius77

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The phone you have purchased can only flashed with firmware specific to that device. The U and F firmware versions are for different processors.

Thanks Galactic Zoo. Exactly what I thought. I guess you can't expect to install a Toyota Camry ECU in a Toyota Land Cruiser and it will still work!

So my other question was should I replace the AT&T carrier firmware on my phone with Samsung non-carrier specific generic software? I assume that carrier specific firmware is designed to work best for a specific carrier and I may lose certain functions/benefits if I am with a different carrier (Telstra Australia). Is this correct? Also, should I use the G950U or the G950U1 firmware?

I believe the U1 firmware is for unlocked phones (mine is unlocked) although the software description on my phone indicates G950U firmware. I am a bit confused, but guessing it is the G950U1 that I should use - if it will improve anything at all. I don't want to mess around with it if it doesn't provide a benefit.

The Sammobile firmware list is at this link.

netorius77

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
OK, no comments on this so just as a bump: I intend to install the G950U1 firmware rather than the G950U firmware. Praying I don't bust something!

My logic is if the hardware is the same and my phone is non-carrier locked, it should not matter which I install - U or U01. I am hoping the Samsung unlocked, non-carrier specific firmware will provide a more generic solution that will better comply with my Australian provider. Firmware details from the Sammobile site:

Model SM-G950U1
Model name Galaxy S8
Version Android 9
Changelist 17214672
Product code XAA
PDA G950U1UES7DTB2
CSC G950U1OYM7DTB2