Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Where ever its from doesn't take away the fact that they are still made and assembled in China.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Just like the Samsung phones in the case and the EVO you used to type your post.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
On that note, walmart, and every other retail outlet selling overseas goods is American now? Really. Motorola is headquartered here and so are many other companies. That is the problem with this country, people don't believe manufacturing has anything to do with the economy. As long as we are headquartered here and sell Chinese products....we are good Americans.

I am blown away at the ignorance today here. If you are as old as I am and remember the economy when manufacturing was state side, then you remember the good days. I was easy to get a job, and if you wanted a paycheck, you could have it. Now you have to be very competitive to do the same. That isn't good for ignorant people.

Apple is NOT an American company, at least they do not act like it. Toyota is though.

irish-68

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I often use the automobile analogy. Which car is more 'American' - the Honda Accord built in Ohio or the Pontiac GTO built in Australia?

bigkid666999

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone ever feel conflicted supporting a foreign company (Samsung) vs. a home grown American Company (Apple). While I am a strong supporter of Android and always will be sometimes I feel Un - American not supporting an American Company. I think we can all agree that Samsung probably did copy to some degree. Nonetheless, I more than anyone do not like Apple and their culture/products. I guess my patriotism is tugging at me! ;)

BTW, I come from a 2 platform household. I am Android, my wife and 2 daughters are Iphone. I have tried to convince/sway them over to Android but they are not having any of that. In a way I am glad as the first sign of trouble I would be blamed for them going with Android.

Don't feel conflicted. The only Americans who benefit from Apple are some rich stockholders, who do everything in their power to contribute taxes or jobs to your economy. The rest of the beneficiaries all live in China.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I often use the automobile analogy. Which car is more 'American' - the Honda Accord built in Ohio or the Pontiac GTO built in Australia?

That GTO was the best car Pontiac ever saw in recent memory, until of course it's Australian successor came ashore :).

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't feel conflicted. The only Americans who benefit from Apple are some rich stockholders, who do everything in their power to contribute taxes or jobs to your economy. The rest of the beneficiaries all live in China.

+1

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Where ever its from doesn't take away the fact that they are still made and assembled in China. The patents system is a joke, everyone in the end stole something from someone. from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Using your criteria virtually all companies are not homegrown. Toyota is though if we use the above criteria that is.

Sent using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Using your criteria virtually all companies are not homegrown. Toyota is though if we use the above criteria that is.

Sent using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus

I am certain a toilet paper company was born here and still holds manufacturing here. Come on Paul:p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

All the Apple retail employees must not benefit.

The employees at the Cupertino headquarters don't benefit either.

Don't get me started on the data centers Apple has.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You do realize Samsung plays just as big a part on the American economy as Apple, and probably more considering Samsung actually pays taxes on the money being send in between countries while Apple harbors their money in off shore accounts to avoid taxes. Not to mention only a small fraction of Apple is actually located in America, all they have here is designers and stock holders. Personally, I support Samsung because they are pro choice and want the best for the end consumer while Apple just wants your money. What's interesting is this exact issue is now coming up in forums about the court systems. Did Samsung get an unfair trial because they are from a foreign country and Apple's HQ is only a few miles down the road from the courthouse where the trial took place? No one will know for sure but the statements coming from jurors and people on the courtroom imply yes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Oleyeller

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Apple is definitely not an American company. Their parts, labor, and manufacturing is purely Chinese based. That's how they keep their production prices low and retail prices extremely high. If it was truly an American made device.... The price would be way waaaayyyy higher due to the quality standards the American government requires for manufacturers

*American company that's not really producing things here. Is what I meant

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You do realize Samsung plays just as big a part on the American economy as Apple, and probably more considering Samsung actually pays taxes on the money being send in between countries while Apple harbors their money in off shore accounts to avoid taxes. Not to mention only a small fraction of Apple is actually located in America, all they have here is designers and stock holders. Personally, I support Samsung because they are pro choice and want the best for the end consumer while Apple just wants your money. What's interesting is this exact issue is now coming up in forums about the court systems. Did Samsung get an unfair trial because they are from a foreign country and Apple's HQ is only a few miles down the road from the courthouse where the trial took place? No one will know for sure but the statements coming from jurors and people on the courtroom imply yes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Apple has retail, R&D, as well as data centers in the US. I'll have to look it up but I believe they also have semiconductor manufacturing in the US.

Samsung as a whole does play a huge part in the US economy if you take in consideration their other businesses- like electronics and appliances. I doubt any are built in the US though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, those upset about Apple's offshore accounts, have no fear:

The US is implementing something called FATCA, and it will basically decimate offshore accounts.

Carry on :).

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The bottom line is if you cracked open an ipad or iphone samsun oled screen for the retna display as well as other componants and parts from lg as well oops did i just let out a terrible secret? Si hell no dont feel bad feel discusted that they would over one of their. Biggest hardware providers
inspire aokp ice cold sandwich rom ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple is definitely not an American company. Their parts, labor, and manufacturing is purely Chinese based. That's how they keep their production prices low and retail prices extremely high. If it was truly an American made device.... The price would be way waaaayyyy higher due to the quality standards the American government requires for manufacturers

*American company that's not really producing things here. Is what I meant

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

They're American-based though.

That's like saying Nissan isn't a Japanese company because most of the cars and trucks they sell here are built in Tennessee and Alabama. Nissan builds cars here, but they're still a company based out of Japan.

Last I checked (and I asked here on Android Central), you can't get a purely American made device.

But if you were that nationalistic, you could probably pick phones with the most US components or even phones that went through the most US R&D.

Interestingly enough, it could be an Apple device. Or a Motorola device powered by a Qualcomm, Intel, or Texas Instruments processor.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have sold appliances and I can say with 100% confidence that Maytag builds their appliances here. They hurt GE's market by manufacturing here. GE began to hurt financially in that sect and is now bringing manufacturing back to Ohio. I do not speculate. There is allot of manufacturing that needs to come back. Bottom line.

I just cant stand by and let fallacies fly.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

But no one assembles phones in the US. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
In 2008, 1.2 billion cell phones were sold throughout the world, none of which were manufactured in the United States. Motorola held 8.4 percent of the global market in 2008, but that figure sunk to only 4.5 percent in the first quarter of 2009 (a 46 percent decline from the same quarter in 2008). Apple held 1.1 percent of the global market for cell phones in 2008.

good read, love American prospect. The article is a few years old, but dead on.
The Plight of American Manufacturing

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Wow....either the OP has a strong sense of nationalism to a point where it is unnecessary, or some weird belief. I'm not going to put him down for the thread as it's in his own right. But why do you need a thread like this.