Sprint's Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EB13

How did your update to EB13 go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

citiz

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
One last question and I'll just wait for the update zip. Why does Odin see my phone in debugging mode when I plug it in? That's whats going on.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure. Never tried using Odin when not in download mode. I suppose Odin is recognizing the phone because it just does at that point, but I don't think it can properly perform a factory reset or loading of a ROM without being in download mode.

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
hi, i have 2 quick questions about the PIT files... i have 2 files saved s1_odin_20100512.pit and victory_8G_100528.pit which one is supposed to be the latest and which one goes with OS version (DI07, DI18, DK28)? thanx :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
hi, i have 2 quick questions about the PIT files... i have 2 files saved s1_odin_20100512.pit and victory_8G_100528.pit which one is supposed to be the latest and which one goes with OS version (DI07, DI18, DK28)? thanx :)

The "s1_odin_20100512.pit" goes with stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18)

The "victory_8G_100528.pit" goes with Froyo DK28

DI07 not included in your files.

Reactions: cheburashka

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I would like to ask a quick series of very specific questions so that I know exactly what needs to be done. I am being patient about this, and I know all you devs will be very busy.

Phone currently: ClockwordMod Recovery, rooted (one-click root), noobnl andromeda 2.1 ROM. That is, I rooted/clockworkMod'd the phone, then later updated the rom to andromeda (2.1 version) to eliminate bloat. I DID make a backup of the original ROM that came with the phone, but again it was rooted BEFORE I moved onto custom ROMs.

Question: What state does my Epic4g need to be in to upgrade to EB13 when it comes out? Do I need to flash back to the stock rom, unroot the phone and remove clockworkMod in order to download the OTA update?

If I wait for you guys to release a package with the update, do I NEED to install it through the factory recovery mode or can I do it through clockwork recovery? Also, if I do it via the package you guys release, do I need to remove the root so it doesnt conflict with EB13? Will I have to use Odin at all if I use the package you guys release?

Again, sorry for the slew of questions, but I dont want to brick the phone or get ignored by the OTA update (if I choose to do it as opposed to using the package you guys offer)..

Also, do you guys just release all these updates because you enjoy doing so for the community?

Reactions: RafaelRoque16

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Question: What state does my Eic4g need to be in to upgrade to EB13 when it comes out? Do I need to flash back to the stock rom, unroot the phone and remove clockworkMod in order to download the OTA update?
See first post, "Helpful Links"
If I wait for you guys to release a package with the update, do I NEED to install it through the factory recovery mode or can I do it through clockwork recovery? Also, if I do it via the package you guys release, do I need to remove the root so it doesnt conflict with EB13? Will I have to use Odin at all if I use the package you guys release?
Again see the first post, it answers your questions.
Also, do you guys just release all these updates because you enjoy doing so for the community?
Yes we enjoy giving back to you and the place that has given so much to us.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
you can use odin.

Well then I'm screwed. I didn't save all my removed apps. Some, but not all, and I've tried installing update.zips manually and got errors each and every time. I used to mess with my BlackBerry all the time, bricking it then fixing it with no problems. I try to follow instructions for the same thing on Android and I get confused beyond belief. I'm not stupid, but not a single set of instructions to install an Android OS has made sense to me.

I'll deal with 2.1 until I get a new phone. Screwit.

I have had my epic bricked a lot of times. Get Odin and the tar file DI18 and you will be ready to get the new EB13 froyo update.

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Asking for opinions here. I'm currently on TER 1.5 EXT 4. However due to flashing some different themes over top of one another i'm beginning to have some force close issues, and just general bugs with my current setup, however I love having root and being able to customize pretty much anything! My question is, should I revert back to 2.1 now and wait for the OTA EB13 update and start fresh, or wait for WONDERFUL devs at xda to set things straight with Froyo? Suggestions?

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
it took forever

I'd have to agree with that. I think its going to b exactly the same but work smoother. And by work smoothr I mean in comparison as to how 2.1 worked after the latest service update. Wow, how long has that been. Hmm.

I bought my epic back on Sept 01 2010. I was told that froyo will ready within few weeks but it took about 22 weeks. At the end I did not care. I rooted my phone and got the greatest custom rom TruelyEpic Rebirth v1.5 ac. I like my epic but I will look around before I buy my next phone. I hope Sprint comes out with more great phones such as Evo, Epic and the new Evo shift in the future.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I had to use Odin to flash my bricked Epic back to stock Eclair. Will I still get the OTA to Froyo?
Yes

Asking for opinions here. I'm currently on TER 1.5 EXT 4. However due to flashing some different themes over top of one another i'm beginning to have some force close issues, and just general bugs with my current setup, however I love having root and being able to customize pretty much anything! My question is, should I revert back to 2.1 now and wait for the OTA EB13 update and start fresh, or wait for WONDERFUL devs at xda to set things straight with Froyo? Suggestions?
Your choice. You can Odin back to stock and get the OTA or use the manual update.zip method when its available. Or you can wait it out and see what is created in the form of flashable upgrades using CWM or Odin but that could take a few days and there is no promise that you will be able to go from your current state to Froyo EB13 without still having to Odin back to Eclair.

Reactions: tomy2001

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
it took forever

I'd have to agree with that. I think its going to b exactly the same but work smoother. And by work smoothr I mean in comparison as to how 2.1 worked after the latest service update. Wow, how long has that been. Hmm.

I bought my epic back on Sept 01 2010. I was told that froyo will ready within few weeks but it took about 22 weeks. At the end I did not care. I rooted my phone and got the greatest custom rom TruelyEpic Rebirth v1.5 ac. I like my epic but I will look around before I buy my next phone. I hope Sprint comes out with more great phones such as Evo, Epic and the new Evo shift in the future.

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes

Your choice. You can Odin back to stock and get the OTA or use the manual update.zip method when its available. Or you can wait it out and see what is created in the form of flashable upgrades using CWM or Odin but that could take a few days and there is no promise that you will be able to go from your current state to Froyo EB13 without still having to Odin back to Eclair.

Ahh great thanks for the advice! A few days after the update the devs should have a rooted EB13 with ext 4. Maybe a one click root with cwm3 for EB13? I'll probably just odin back to get the update via the ota or manual .zip file.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Ahh great thanks for the advice! A few days after the update the devs should have a rooted EB13 with ext 4. Maybe a one click root with cwm3 for EB13? I'll probably just odin back to get the update via the ota or manual .zip file.

So far, there's already an overclocked kernel thats compatible to flash with DK28.

tbonedr

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Ugh Flashed back to 2.1 stock from TER. I can't wait to go back to something 2.2 Hoping for something good! I've been anxiously awaiting bluetooth voice dialing.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So... if someone who maybe has the day off and notices the popup on their phone concerning the OTA, could you possible run a logcat before clicking OK to download? We can pull the link, download it, rehost it and distribute it to everyone. I'm rooted running DK28, may flash back to DI18 tonight just for fun to see if I get it, but I will not be home until late tomorrow, and definitely not by a computer I can use to pull the source website. I don't mind rehosting it when I get home though.

If you need help knowing how to do a logcat, let me know. you can do it from the phone and save them with alogcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.