Stolen Bionic

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I was always curious, what does one do with a stolen phone that won't activate?

By now, everyone knows that the carriers black list stolen phones, so why steal them? There must be a secondary market, or something else that makes them valuable still.

Sell it to some poor sap on craigslist who thinks they are getting a deal.

Vato805

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I highly urge Everyone to Try AVG!!! you can try out the locating feature for free even keep it but you can also update for a very good price if you want remote swipe.
even if your GPS is off it turns it on remotely so send the signal.

on the free version you can even lock it remotely and display a message on the screen renders the phone useless.

the tracking was so accurate on google maps it was scary the cursor hovered right over where my room is in the house

PLEASE TRY THE FREE VERSION!!!
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.antivirus&feature=search_result

Snow02

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
So, for those of us who want to protect our Bionics BEFORE they get stolen, what app is the best for locating, wiping and generally protecting our phones?

(BTW, sorry for your loss.)

Seekdroid

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I recommend bitdefender, its antivirus, locator, app scanner, and can wipe. Unlike Lookout it doesn't use 20+mb of ram all the time either, I checked it earlier and its only running 2mb, max I have ever seen it was 10mb.

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I was always curious, what does one do with a stolen phone that won't activate?

By now, everyone knows that the carriers black list stolen phones, so why steal them? There must be a secondary market, or something else that makes them valuable still.

They sell it for parts. Authorized resellers make more money doing repairs than they do selling new activations and renewing contracts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

VonRBuzard

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This has taught me a couple of things.

1) Paswword or PIN lock your phone
2) Get the insurance, unless you can afford to buy a new phone at full price
3) Be aware of your surroundings
4) Keep the phone below the table at resaurants

It looks like most of the software out there is designed to work while they are using your phone. Persoanlly, I don't want them to have access to ANY of my info

I have my Original Droid reactivated (back to the lag time)(and yes, it is PIN locked, Now) and I'll be saving up for a new phone for next spring (hope the droid will last that long)

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've recently installed Android Lost and have been quite amazed with its functions.

Hoping I never have to use some of the more high powered ones.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I actually got something in the mail from Asurion (the VZW insurance company) and they actually have a new tracking feature you can download from their website for instances such as this. Have yet to check it out but something to add to the mix for ways of tracking your phone down.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Seekdroid on mine, I like that I can send mean messages to the person lol. So if they steal my phone, I'd lock it and send it several messages, probably saying "Give me back my phone...I know where you are. You forget that this is an expensive phone, you are being tracked." And then probably throw some BS in there about the police coming if you don't give me the phone back.
Also, I'm interested in how someone could have taken the phone from you hands? If someone had tried that on me, I would've chased them down and beat the living hell out of them, hands down. My property is mine, and you aren't going to steal an $800 anything from me without a little fist in your throat.

BBBay

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of the leash. I was looking for a place to add a wristrap. I can't listen to music on the back of bike. God forbid I drop my bionic. I hope you get resolution for your phone. I will add the insurance to a tune of 30 bucks. 3 phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

VonRBuzard

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately all of the software solutions have one major flaw. They only work if the theft wants to use the phone. Once deactivared its useless. So the other option is they sell it for parts. If they have half a brain, they will pull the battery within minutes of stealing it. Thus any software is moot

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I mainly keep "wheres my droid" on my phone just in case I leave it somewhere, which I have done before with one of my previous phones.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there an app for Android that will display contact info on the lock screen, like I have on my BB tour?

ilockmup

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an app called Lookout. first 30 days are free but after that its 2.99/month. If you loose your phone you can lock it from any computer, you can also locate it from any computer and have a siren played to get somebody's attention. You can also wipe if out from any computer. To me 2.99/month is a small fee for the comfort of knowing I have control of my phone. Info can be found on lookout.com

ilockmup

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
check out lookout. you can get info at lookout.com. It will find your phone, give an alarm to notify where phone is, and wipe the phone all from any computer. hope this helps

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Just add a line to your account, get the Bionic for one penny from Amazon.com, then transfer the Bionic to your line and pay the $350 cancellation fee. Then you get a new Bionic for $350.