SWEET JESUS!!! Update your Revue to Honeycomb 3.1 NOW!

alphacharlieandroid

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a new $99 Logitech Revue yesterday. I am wondering if I should wait until the official Honeycomb release before I start setting it up. In other words, will it be a waste to time to get it set up working "out of the box" if I am planning to update the OS in the next few weeks anyway?

Clearly, I am a total newbie regarding Android and this device.

Also, I am looking to "cut the cord" and use the Revue to supplement over-the-air (OTA) local TV broadcasts.
So it would be great to hear from anyone who has already gone down that path.
Thank you.

rcobourn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a new $99 Logitech Revue yesterday. I am wondering if I should wait until the official Honeycomb release before I start setting it up. In other words, will it be a waste to time to get it set up working "out of the box" if I am planning to update the OS in the next few weeks anyway?

Also, I am looking to "cut the cord" and use the Revue to supplement over-the-air (OTA) local TV broadcasts.
Thank you.

As much fun as it has been to play with the leaked Honeycomb version, I think it would have been better to keep it stock at least until the next release or leak. I don't really miss the Netflix but the audio drop outs and occasional reboots make for a less than completely usable device.

jtexans

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

Thank you.

It just took me less than 10 minutes to set up my Revue to my Uverse box and tv. It's an awesome device. Love the Chrome browser. Decent Netflix interface. Now who wants a Roku?

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope Google releases as soon as the Honeycomb version is ready, rather than wait for the Ice Cream Sandwich OS which is out Oct/Nov. I wouldn't mind getting ICS someday, but I want the additional features soon.

deeteroderdas

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Thank you.

I've been using OTA and GoogleTV in the family room, and a Roku in our bedroom. We have not missed cable (U-Verse) at all. However, we'll see how things work out when/if basketball starts up.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
There is an update to the leaked 3.1 Beta with Netflix and updated apps.

http://forum.gtvhacker.com/revue/topic170.html

It says install the leaked 3.1 update.zip then:
1. you have to already be on the HC3.1 beta;
2. put this update on a flash drive like you did before with the beta;
3. get into the recovery menu like you did before (unplug power, plug power back in, after 1 second hold down the button on the back until it reboots then shows the google tv logo again, press ALT+L to get into the recovery menu);
4. install the update via the recovery menu.

Note: I would not consider it safe to install this update, but if you don't mind if you potentially brick the device check it out.

Last edited:

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
You guys think their delay may be they could be waiting for ICS? I guess the new Developer info for ICS from Google says "...an app developed for Honeycomb is compatible with a device running ICS, which could be a tablet, a phone, or something else." (I know wishful thinking.) Regardless with the list of apps growing on the market, I'd be just as happy with Honeycomb :)

-Mike

Last edited:

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I seriously doubt the GTV team is waiting for ICS, Android 4.0, to be released. Note the GTV leaked build is using 3.1 and 3.2 is already out. They want to do a good QC job on the Android 3.1 release and that takes weeks to do a good job.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
im starting to lose hope that an update is ever actually coming. It really is a shame, the device is awesome, but the possibilities of what it could do are over the top.

At least wait until October 1 to lose hope. The Google guys says months ago that the update would come out by the end of September.

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
At least wait until October 1 to lose hope. The Google guys says months ago that the update would come out by the end of September.

Agreed. I also doubt the Tech Support people would be admitting to something that wasn't coming out very soon. From working in a large hw/sw company, we often have releases slip, and tech support won't really acknowledge something exists until release is confirmed and coming soon due to liability issues. Last thing you want is a bunch of pissed off customers who were mislead by tech support agents... Considering all the rush of apps flowing in to the Market and Google's SDK update in August, seems like they may be on track or pretty close as it's all coming together.

-Mike

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Small update confirmed for today/tomorrow. Just a small security fix that sounds like a honeycomb prep. Also stated a bigger update in coming weeks. Hold on its coming.

sent by CyanogenMod X