The fight to the death: WiFi vs the Mobile Network...

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey gang, a few things I am reporting today.

I noticed that when my Mobile network was turned off, I still had the notification (3G/4G and the corresponding number of cellular bars representing signal strength) in the notification bar at the top of the screen; the number of bars I had were lit-up in white, while the 3G/4G indicator was light gray (because Mobile network was turned off). When I turned Mobile network on, the 3G/4G indicator lit-up white along with the bars, indicating that mobile network was turned on.

I thought that it was interesting how even though Mobile network wasn't on, it still shows you the potential the Mobile network has. Nice feature if you ask me.

Also, I tried out an experiment.

I turned both WiFi on, as well as the Mobile Network. In this case, the WiFi indication was lit-up white, while the Mobile network indication was light gray (even though the Mobile network was turned on). In cases like this, WiFi will always take precedence over the Mobile Network, correct? And if WiFi signal was lost, the Mobile network would automatically be "turned on" (not really turned on (because it was already on), but I guess at that point, relied upon)?

Thanks guys.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Those bars do not represent data connectivity directly, but the signal strength generally (for calls, etc).

I turned both WiFi on, as well as the Mobile Network. In this case, the WiFi indication was lit-up white, while the Mobile network indication was light gray (even though the Mobile network was turned on). In cases like this, WiFi will always take precedence over the Mobile Network, correct? And if WiFi signal was lost, the Mobile network would automatically be "turned on" (not really turned on (because it was already on), but I guess at that point, relied upon)?

Currently almost everything will use WiFi if it is available and fall back to mobile data when it is not. The primary exception to this is MMS, which on most carrier/device combinations is routed through mobile data regardless of your WiFi state.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
My One X shows network data availibility when I'm art home using wi-fi. One thing I HATE about this phone is that it always seeks WiFi and when I'm driving, it will grab onto hot spots at local stores (every major intersection on my area). So, my streaming music cuts out as I drive around because the phone switches from LTE to a distant WiFi hot spot and back.
Really hoping the M8 will let me turn that off without having to turn off WiFi every time I drive.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm...sounds like a bit of a problem, always trying to look for a network.

Although I have all of my music downloaded, so it's not a big deal for me.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
My One X shows network data availibility when I'm art home using wi-fi. One thing I HATE about this phone is that it always seeks WiFi and when I'm driving, it will grab onto hot spots at local stores (every major intersection on my area). So, my streaming music cuts out as I drive around because the phone switches from LTE to a distant WiFi hot spot and back.
Really hoping the M8 will let me turn that off without having to turn off WiFi every time I drive.

Doesn't it ask you if you want to connect first? Usually it's something like, "open network detected, would you like to connect?"

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't it ask you if you want to connect first? Usually it's something like, "open network detected, would you like to connect?"
Posted via Android CentralApp

Not on the One X. It always prioritizes ATT public hot spots, which are all over North Phoenix (regular WiFi is different). I swore I'd ditch HTC and ATT because of it but, the M8 was too good to resist. Just crossing my fingers that it doesn't do this and that my car recognises it...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

You can turn that off now.

Hmm...sounds like a bit of a problem, always trying to look for a network.

Although I have all of my music downloaded, so it's not a big deal for me.

Most devices will search for Wi-Fi networks every so often. I think AT&T "knows" where it's Wi-Fi networks are and might poll specifically when you might be in range of them. It wouldn't be so bad if it was smart enough to know when the signal is strong enough to be usable or not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC