Thoughts on the "New" Virgin Mobile

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Perusing the VM website, there is now a video from Branson, asking customers to keep an eye out for the "new" Virgin Mobile. Spouting off about how they believe that if they offer services and perks (specifically quoting the $35 a month plan), they won't need to sign people up for contracts, because we will keep coming back on our own.

Fair enough, that's all true. Lots of rumors popping up about these higher-end phones (One V, Evo V 4G), and the data throttle (which is a step that makes sense before rolling out higher end devices).

I've always been happy with them, but feel that the company is about to jump-start themselves and sometimes, that can mean changes that us long-term customers won't be happy with. Are you worried? Excited? Any speculation on what types of changes we will see?

I'm a little of both. Worried because I have yet to come up with an example of a company that I've done business with that has tried to 'reinvent' itself that has been a good experience, but excited because I have a tiny bit of faith in VM to keep things running smoothly for the customer base they have now.

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
ive been with vm since they rolled out the first line up of devices like the k model,the wildcard,etc..and BEFORE sprint the plans had more flexibility..i hope branson reinvents that part of the company. because they sh*t you on minutes unless you go totally unlimited. walmarts $45 plan is unlimited and yet vm costs $10 more for nothing more. rip off in my opinion

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a cell phone company, how radical can they get.

Granted, VM has always been a wildcard in terms of cell service, offering cheap rates, but usually with cheap phones, but for the most part, compared to other companies, I have to say, they actually do try and benefit the customer. The only time I have seen them do something not so good was raising the rates, and even then, they grandfathered everyone. So realistically, odds are good that what they are doing will be good. The only questions is what.

Based on the surveys and statements made on a few cell phone forums, the most likely thing is exactly what we have been seeing, newer, better phones and probably 4g. They can't do a lot with the plans, if they go up in price, it will kill them. New plans maybe, but that won't do much. Phone companies spent too much money bragging about 4g and now that T-mobile offers it for cheap, Virgin MUST come out with 4g, on decent phones in order to compete.

Basically expect 4g and better phones.
Today nearly half of cell phones are smart phones, and pretty much everyone knows about the Iphone. Customers aren't cell phone ignorant anymore (debatable since they all want Iphones, but still). They all want Iphones or at least a good phone and they all want 4g. The companies drove the market here, including Sprint, now Sprint has to push that down to prepaid or they will lose the market.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been with VM for a long time. While their phones can be somewhat of a disappointment, I can't really complain. I pay $25/month for what I need and I can't seeing anyone else doing that. So yeah.

4G and better phones will be coming and it will be good, but nly if they can offer some good phones and not a low end processor phone. I mean a descent phone with a good screen size and maybe a 1Ghz processor or more. And please don't make it suck like the triumph did.

And you know I wouldn't mind a iPhone from VM. I might buy one. (MIGHT though IDK why though xD) But we already know the iPhone won't be getting any prepaid plans anytime soon.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
It's a cell phone company, how radical can they get.

Granted, VM has always been a wildcard in terms of cell service, offering cheap rates, but usually with cheap phones, but for the most part, compared to other companies, I have to say, they actually do try and benefit the customer. The only time I have seen them do something not so good was raising the rates, and even then, they grandfathered everyone. So realistically, odds are good that what they are doing will be good. The only questions is what.

Based on the surveys and statements made on a few cell phone forums, the most likely thing is exactly what we have been seeing, newer, better phones and probably 4g. They can't do a lot with the plans, if they go up in price, it will kill them. New plans maybe, but that won't do much. Phone companies spent too much money bragging about 4g and now that T-mobile offers it for cheap, Virgin MUST come out with 4g, on decent phones in order to compete.

Basically expect 4g and better phones.
Today nearly half of cell phones are smart phones, and pretty much everyone knows about the Iphone. Customers aren't cell phone ignorant anymore (debatable since they all want Iphones, but still). They all want Iphones or at least a good phone and they all want 4g. The companies drove the market here, including Sprint, now Sprint has to push that down to prepaid or they will lose the market.

This is true that they need to get 4G out ASAP, but this doesn't necessarily answer the "New Virgin Mobile" question. Does that phrase just mean they are upgrading to 4G? Or is it something more fundamental?

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
what gets me is sprint dug branson up out of the virgin mobile scrap heap to hype it for them because no one likes sprint,their reps or anything else they have going on. it was sprint who raised the rates that imo are geared to either offer you nothing or everything for just $10 under sprints post paid plan coming in at $65 a month. they killed off night and weekends,lowered the number of minutes available (atleast to their beyond talk users) unless you pay $55 month. while i like the data...i can get that via straight talk for $45 a month. and save $10 a month.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
what gets me is sprint dug branson up out of the virgin mobile scrap heap to hype it for them because no one likes sprint,their reps or anything else they have going on. it was sprint who raised the rates that imo are geared to either offer you nothing or everything for just $10 under sprints post paid plan coming in at $65 a month. they killed off night and weekends,lowered the number of minutes available (atleast to their beyond talk users) unless you pay $55 month. while i like the data...i can get that via straight talk for $45 a month. and save $10 a month.

Yeah, honestly. I think I like the "old" Virgin Mobile just fine, thank you.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Been a Sprint customer for 10 years* and basically happy with CS; however, the signal I'm getting at my house is getting worse--not better. Could it be too many "smartphones" interfering with our signals? Really, I don't know. I would have liked to upgrade to real smartphones (we have 2 Palm Centros and two Rumor Touches), but no way can I (will I) pay their exorbitant rates. Our rates would go up $100. for our 4 lines with smartphones. I'm okay with the VM OV because I bought it for data access on the road although the first time I traveled, I discovered it wasn't getting the same signal as my Centro. I haven't had a chance to travel test my changed prl yet. It does seem to get better reception in my house now.
The next phone I buy will be a gsm version so that I can switch if I want. Right now, the Straight Talk $45. plan looks like the best for the $.

*Just got a "thank you for being loyal customer for 10 years" from Sprint. It included a 25% discount on any accessory (which still makes it more than anything I can get at Amazon) as a "special thank you." Until the fall of 2011, my now defunct Premier status gave me that 25% all the time! Which way are we moving, Sprint?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm okay with the VM OV because I bought it for data access on the road although the first time I traveled, I discovered it wasn't getting the same signal as my Centro. I haven't had a chance to travel test my changed prl yet. It does seem to get better reception in my house now.
The next phone I buy will be a gsm version so that I can switch if I want. Right now, the Straight Talk $45. plan looks like the best for the $.

The reason you got better signal with the Centro is that was on the Sprint post paid service that allows roaming. Virgin only works on native sprint towers.

If you want better prepaid service I suggest checking all the available carriers in your area. Straight talks smartphones (android) are all boost/virgin phones. They have the sim card thing kinda like T-Mobile deal. Im not sure how well that works I have been reluctant to try it. The biggest downfall to that is you have to outright buy a phone.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm holding on to hope for better phones. A great many of VM's line are basic flips that are out of date and out of "fashion". The smartphone offerings are dated too. OV is soon to be 1 1/2 years old. Intercept's processor really can't keep up with itself. Triumph has GPS issues ( unless you hack it to fix it). And there is the Blackberry. RIM is still making phones? HTC Wildfire S is nice, but "bloated" with excess stuff ( has low memory issues out of the box) and needs hacking to fix. Optimus Slider is nice but a repeat of OV with a dedicated keyboard. I will keep praying that Sir Branson will hear us and get us better phones before we take matters in our own hands. Wait..isn't that what these forums are for?! Ok. I like being a " grand fathered" user. And I do get good service when I need it. BUT just once I would like to have the COOLEST phone in the room instead of having the phone that amazes people cause they can't believe a CHEAP phone does what mine does!! (due to custom rom software support ) Maybe someday!